Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you long-arm quilters >

How many of you long-arm quilters

How many of you long-arm quilters

Old 12-30-2010, 11:24 PM

I adore feathers, ruler work...any custom quilting. I hate E2E and won't do pantos, I like quilting from the front of my machine where I can see what I am doing. I have been piecing for 3 years and LA quilting for 2 years. Best practice for me is to draw, draw, draw! It builds muscle memory and translates well to the longarm. I also went to Quilting with Machines in Huron, Ohio this past September and took classes for 4 days from folks like Karen McTavish, Kimmy Brunner, Mindy Wiley Casperson, and Jamie Wallen. Had a blast and learned so much!!! If you are interested in Quilting with Machines, just google it and their website will give you all the information you need for it for next year.

This is the back of a customer's quilt (shows the quilting so well!) that I did this summer:

back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]150488[/ATTACH]

front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]150489[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-150483.jpe   attachment-150484.jpe  
Old 12-31-2010, 10:10 AM

I've had my long arm ten years, but was working full-time outside my home, so quilts I did for customers were pretty plain and no time to do my own in order to practice, but when I retired I hoped to have more time to do my own quilts....not!

There really has to be a little bit of artistic talent within in order to do some of the patterns and I don't have it. So, mostly I do stippling, meandering and pantos.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Wish I could afford a long arm machine
Bought my first one for $125. Ended up being one the my repairman's Mother and my great aunt owned at one time. How's that for a small world. Just keep looking.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:44 PM

Pam Clark has ten DVDs to choose from. I took her classes in Houston two years in a row and recently at the Oklahoma City quilt show. She is amazing! Her web site is www.homestitches.com
Old 01-23-2011, 09:44 PM

Pam Clark has ten DVDs to choose from. I took her classes in Houston two years in a row and recently at the Oklahoma City quilt show. She is amazing! Her web site is www.homestitches.com
Old 01-25-2011, 12:50 PM

If you practice with a pencil and paper or an eraseable white board, you can doodle and that will get the motion in your brain. Kind of like you did to practice writing. It will help you hand and brain remember the motion and you will get better at it. There are some good books on how to do feathers and they don't have to be perfect. You get better with practice.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:39 PM

I just PPP whenever i had the time. If I was at work and had a lunch i had paper and pen in hand then breaks were the same thing, I only ever wanted to be good at feathers if I never did anything else. I also went to shows and took tons of classes. the last feather class i took the teacher told me i DIDN'T need anymore classes. I just needed to practice. I have been quilting since 2005 when i got my longarm. After my first class my friend JOY talked me into entering Tacoma washington quilt show. INNOVATIONS I took second place in the beginner catagory. I had only been quilting for six months or so. My first feather class was with jamie Wallen. He was really patient with all of his students. Well thats it.. I love quilting just now I have a IQ on it. so I can do my own thing or the machine can do it for me.