Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you quilters >

How many of you quilters

How many of you quilters

Old 11-11-2014, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Me, too! I've heard of a tool that is tiny enough to slip "through" the top or backing, allow you to grab the offending threads to pull up through the fabric and be snipped. Anyone know of it? I have some black showing under a top.
I have used a long pin to get at the offending thread and push it to the side and out of sight. Don't know if it will stay that way after washing though but it might as most of those threads tend to stick to the batting which hopefully will keep it in place.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

Like several others, I trim as I go. Trim dark edges as well.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:08 AM

It is always my intention to trim anything that I think might be a problem, but honestly, by the time I finish both the top and back, I get in such a hurry to get it sandwiched and ready to quilt, that I often just forget. Once I've got that sandwich done, there is no going back. I may fish out something that really bugs me, most generally just let it go.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:56 AM

I am very fussy about loose threads, when I see one I have to clip it. I clip as I put my blocks together then look at each step to make sure I have got them all.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

I won't say how long ago when I was in Home Ec. class, our teacher, Mrs. B. was adamant about cutting and trimming threads when sewing, so I don't have many threads hanging around. I have learned to use small pieces of fabric stitched at the end and beginning of each item, as that cuts down the amount of loose threads. It's amazing how her insistence on snipping threads as we sewed became a habit even to this day. God bless you Mrs. B.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Me, too! I've heard of a tool that is tiny enough to slip "through" the top or backing, allow you to grab the offending threads to pull up through the fabric and be snipped. Anyone know of it? I have some black showing under a top.
Kitsie, try one of these, Clover Soft Touch Thread Pic. It's definitely smaller than the 00 crochet needle I have. I sometimes use this and it works quite well. This link is for Joanns:

http://www.joann.com/clover-soft-tou...c/2359024.html
Old 11-11-2014, 03:29 PM

I always trim the back of my quilts before batting and pinning. Any stray threads on the front of the quilt I remove with a pair of tweezers. They usually come away easily but if not I trim as close to fabric as possible.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:50 PM

I try to trim as I go, but if it doesn't show thru, then I leave it. My feeling is if I trim too much then it's more likely the seams will give. So If I can see them after putting the batting on then they stay. Never had a problem yet, but then I try to match the tread with the fabrics so they don't show through.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:06 PM

I trim as I press.....it saves so much time at the end.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Vicki1212 View Post
Okay, so as a beginner quilter, this is something that did not even cross my mind! I love coming on to this board every day and learning all the tricks, tips and suggestions of more experienced quilters! Thank you all!
I so agree with you Vicki I had never even thought about it. Now I have to go look at my son's quilt (blk/wht/red) before I mail it off to him. And your right I learn something new here every day