Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you quilters >

How many of you quilters

How many of you quilters

Old 11-11-2014, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I try to trim my loose thread ends and ravels but I trim my blocks before setting them into a quilt top. This cuts down on the time needed for a final trim of the whole quilt top.
I do this too. I cannot stand to have loose sewing threads, where there shouldn't be any.
Sharon in Tx
Old 11-11-2014, 07:58 PM

Sally, that's awesome! Would work perfectly for me to sweep them under the black fabric and then SID along the joining seam!! Probably need to cancel an order now!

Originally Posted by selm View Post
I have used a long pin to get at the offending thread and push it to the side and out of sight. Don't know if it will stay that way after washing though but it might as most of those threads tend to stick to the batting which hopefully will keep it in place.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:54 PM

Marcy, my answer is like many you have already received. I trim off loose threads as I finish the block, right after ironing it.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:17 AM

when I worked I had a little tool that slipped through a sweater to grab & pull through snags so they could be tied off, don't know where it is but you could probably look on line for one. Think I bought mine at Joann's. Think it could work for pulling out bothersome theads, it was much smaller than the smallest crochet hook.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:20 AM

Years ago I purchased a small tool with a latch on each end that was designed for repairing snags in knits. I do not remember where I purchased it but have been able to use it in catching threads on quilts.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:35 AM

Would a "knitpicker" work? It is a tiny tool, much like a crochet hook, which is good for pulling a picked piece of a sweater through to smooth out a pulled place.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:03 PM

After pressing, I trim/gently pull off those little seam threads that are going to detach anyway when the "block" or partial block is a six inches or so square/rectangle. Rarely do I have to do it again as I treat my work with gentle hands.

Why? I had a tiny ~less than .25 inch~ thread from a "ravelly" fabric detach itself and get under the bobbin holder where it caused havoc with my machine. I was about to take the machine to be serviced when I did one last cleaning and found it.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:40 PM

I do trim away all the loose threads. It looks more finished and ready to quilt when I have completed that little task.