Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many of you....

Question How many of you....

I came home from a glorious mountain quilting retreat with Linda Ballard this past weekend and immediately came down with the flu. Ache all over, but you can't keep a quilter down for long, so I decided to work on a charity quilt! This is what I have been doing to keep me from feeling sorry for myself. How many of you still head for your sewing room, even when you don't feel good?

A couple of the strips show up as black in the picture, but they are burgundy.

Name:  string diamonds.jpg
Views: 2068
Size:  50.2 KB

I don't do anything short of feeding myself if I'm sick.... Love your quilt can't wait to see it finished.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries
    Hope you feel better soon. Love you quilt. Would you mind telling us the name of the pattern?
    Mavis

I hope you're feeling better, really soon! Last time I had the flu, I could barely get out of bed.
    Thanks for the reminder - I've got to get a flu shot!!!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Plenty of tea with honey and lemon, chicken soup and quilting. What could be better?

Feel better soon!

Love your quilt...I'm making a similar one, but mine will be a mini, only 23 1/2" square when completed (blocks are 2 1/4" each!). Trying to use up all my scraps from other projects. How large is your quilt going to be and how large are your blocks?

Take care and don't do too much. Rest as much as possible!

Anita
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
    Hope you feel better soon. Love you quilt. Would you mind telling us the name of the pattern?
    The pattern I found is called "Kaleidostar" and can be found in the book Favorite Foundation Pieced Minis. The finished quilt in the book is 23 1/2" with each patch being 2 1/4" square. I am sure you can enlarge the pattern to any size you want. Basically, this pattern is a string quilt, start with the center "kite" shaped piece ( the light solid color in crzypatcher's post), then add two narrow strings to either side. End with a triangle in the corners. (Total pieces in block = 7). The block is square. Does this make sense? It is not a difficult block. Only trick to it is to keep the center pieces either the same fabric or the same color as they make a secondary pattern.

Hope this helps.

Anita
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Power Poster
    ​Great start on a quilt top! When I am really sick, I just crawl into my bed and stay there.

Your quilt is wonderful! I hope you feel better soon!
    Laura

That is a very pretty quilt. If you do that well when you are sick, can you show us some of your "feeling good" quilts?! Hope you get over your flu quickly.

Your quilt is awesome! I can't wait to see it finished. I hope you are feeling better soon. I so admire your being able to quilt when you are ill. If it were me, I'd be in bed. Get well soon!

Power Poster
    beautiful quilt hope you feel better soon!!!
    QUILTNMO

Feel better soon! .. When I am feeling ill.. I sort scraps.

Great work, I am one who goes to bed if I am really sick.

I hope you get to feeling better real soon. I love your quilt. The fabrics and pattern are awesome.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    What a wonderful memory! When I come home from a weekend I may just flop out with a glass of wine and then unpack and admire my work. Ready to start again full of enthusiasm and off I go.making another or finishing the one started. Usually I come home full of energy and new ideas I want to try.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Beautiful way to make a string quilt extra special.

Wow!! I love the colors and the pattern. If I could quilt like that when I was sick I wouldn't mind getting the flu for a few days. Beautiful job. I usually retreat to the couch, turn on the TV and sleep.

Blog Entries
    You're very brave. I wouldn't dare work on a quilt while not feeling well, because that is when I'd make an unfixable mistake!

Blog Entries
    I REALLY like that! Yes, but I hand sew in my recliner!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

What a beautiful quilt!! I hope you are soon on the mend! When I have the actual flu, it knocks me out, so no quilting for me then - not even a possibility! But if it's a cold or I'm just under the weather, then yes, my quilt room becomes my therapy room!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​Great start on a quilt top! When I am really sick, I just crawl into my bed and stay there.
    This is my method too! I have tried to 'work' through illness, end up wasting lots of fabric by cutting it wrong, cutting the wrong color for the pattern, cutting the fabric that happens to creep and hide under what I am cutting....
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Like many of you, I can't sew when I'm sick. I have to feel good and be in the mood. I do hope you feel better soon and thanks for sharing your project with us.
    jean

Blog Entries
    Very pretty - love those colors!!

Sew when I'm sick? Right now, I can't even seem to find the energy to sew when I'm not sick......I've been so blessed to never have had the flu, but I've had some severe throat infections before that the dr. always lumps into the category of "pharyngitis". Nasty stuff......don't dare to sew when I have that! You are so thoughtful to be doing a charity quilt at this time, hope you get over the flu soon.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Blog Entries
    Ugh, sorry you are sick, when I get the flu I roll up in a ball under a ton of quilts and withdraw from the world for at least 4-6 days. I don't get sick often but when I do I do it up good. I can't get enough sleep and can't sleep because of the aches, chills, sweats - see I told you I do it up right. The only thing I want is for my hubby to check on me every couple of hours and bring me fresh cold ginger ale or 7up. Unfortunately I wouldn't be up to quilting or even thinking about it, I don't know how you make the fabulous blocks you've made, so pretty - waiting patiently to see it finished!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast