Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much can you NOT spend? >

How much can you NOT spend?

How much can you NOT spend?

Old 06-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I just made a baby quilt out of my stash and my mom's. I spent a total of 60 cents on binding at the thrift shop. I think I did good.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Hubby cleaned his side of the closet. I recycled his cotton shirts, but haven't cut into them yet. I love hearing how everyone finds bargains or free fabric. It's like a treasure hunt. And it's fun to be able to sew even in belt-tightening times. I bet our ancestors did the same thing during the depression.

I love seeing everyone's "scrap" creations. What talent.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i just finished a large queen size quilt for my sister...well it isn't quite finished yet, but the top is done, outdoorsy cozy wonderful flannel SCRAPS. I had a tote full of flannels from past projects so when she said she wanted a quilt i decided to see if i could put one together with what i had, and sure enough it was enough, then i came to backing...decided (when i came upon a 3yd piece of flannel i had forgotten about) to piece a back too...so, made a backing. went ahead and loaded it up, thinking i would stop by the lqs on my way home and pick up a batt...but then noticed i had about 8 large (20-30" wide x 90+"long)pieces of batting...so, i'm going to zigzag these together and use them too...so, i will have a large queen quilt finished start to finish with no trips to the store :)
and it gave me inspiration...i'm going to try to put together another one with regular cottons, but i think i still have enough flannels to make another one too...maybe..hmmmmm. it is nice to put a dent in the stash...makes room for new :)
as soon as i get it off the frame i will post pics, i am very happy with it!
i have been trying to make all my quilts/table runners/swap blocks/bags ect this year out of just my stash and have done very well...some i have purchased backing or batting for and i've had to buy some thread, but for the most part i have done very well. one king size quilt i did spend about $75 on for backing and batting.
Wow! You did do well! I'm having more fun right now trying to make things for as little as possible. It makes me feel good as my husband's been out of work for over a year now. I have plenty of fabric in my room, and friends are giving me scraps. I LOVE scrap quilts! I'm going to try to put together a rug using the clothesline wrapped with material method I saw somewhere.......maybe here! That will use up fabric that I don't think I'll ever use in projects!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:11 PM

I keep seeing all of these beautiful quilt tops made from denim and old jeans. I've been saving jeans for years now and I may just try one soon, very, very soon!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Joanie2
"I did pay to have this quilt machine quilted but didn't spend any money on the top, batting or backing. It's one of my favorites
That is a gorgeous quilt! and I love the name!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:27 PM

I am like everyone else I go to the Good Will, I found a bath robe size 3x and it was wonderfully soft and thick the best chenille I have ever seen. I got about 3 yard for it. Cost $3.49 it will make a great baby rag quilt. I have never found any fabric in our area. I enjoy the hunt. :thumbup:
Old 06-22-2010, 04:50 PM

I don't think you spent only $20 because you used scraps. You purchased the fabrics where the scraps came from before. Also your time and skill are valuable. When I sell quilts I charge the same for one made out of scraps than recently purchased fabrics. Some of my scraps came from very expensive fabrics too.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:04 PM

My summer project is to make tops from what I have. So far, I've made 2 tops, have another one ready to put together, and am peicing a 4th. I already have planned what I'm going to do with the scraps. I'll quilt them when the weather cools off. I'm finding fabric I forgot I had, or was bought to make who knows what. We'll see how many I can do by the end of summer. I know I have the fabric for the backs, and the batting. I stocked up with the coupons from JoAnns and Hobby Lobby.Every time they put out a 40 or 50 % coupon, and I could afford it, I bought batting, or a wide back.
I won't spend anything unless I run out of thread. Who knows, I might finish off my Christmas list early this year.
Being thrifty isn't just about saving money, it's using what you have wisely. I believe some scrap quilts are more beautiful than the designer quilts.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:37 PM

I've been finding sheets at yard sales, thrift shops and on clearance that will be great for backings. Most expensive one was $7 for a king flat sheet, least was a queen set ($2 each flat/fitted).
Old 06-22-2010, 06:46 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I love Joanie2's Trail Mix quilt! It's fun to look at. And there's an order and symmetry in the blocks, coupled with a charming apparent randomness. It's like two flavors that complement each other so well that together they are better than either apart!