Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much can you NOT spend? >

How much can you NOT spend?

How much can you NOT spend?

Old 06-22-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I love Joanie2's Trail Mix quilt! It's fun to look at. And there's an order and symmetry in the blocks, coupled with a charming apparent randomness. It's like two flavors that complement each other so well that together they are better than either apart!
I agree! You have said exactly what I was thinking. Nicely done!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:55 PM

Thank you for liking my trail mix. Notice the trail. The pattern for this quilt is much larger showing more trails but I wanted only a smaller size that would cover only the top of a twin bed. A bunch of us made the blocks and traded to give a lot of variety. Several who participated go to an annual retreat in January and coincidently last year we all brought our to show off on our beds. Glad you all like it.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:12 PM

The quilt in my avatar was made completely from my stash. I did buy a variegated thread to quilt it with, so the total was less than $5! :D
I try not to spend too much on any project, but this post has encouraged me to keep better track of what I'm spending. All the "little" things can really add up! I may start keeping a notebook with my projects, and keep a running tally of anything I spend on it, even if it's 50 cents!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:15 PM

I just made a small throw form my grandmother using just what I had on hand. :)
Old 06-22-2010, 07:25 PM

If you are interested in the Trail Mix quilt pattern -- it was designed by Mabeth Oxenreider and is in American Patchwork June 2004 issue. You can check it out on allpeoplequilt.com
Old 06-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Power Poster

Thanks Joanie, that quilt is great. I love scrappy!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:35 PM

Earlier this spring I was 'donated' the stash of a hoarder. She was my sister's ex-MIL, had a stroke and was placed in a nursing home. Her kids were clearing out her home and were going to BURN this beautiful fabric! It was 5 or 6 huge boxes of cotton fabric, all new and most still with the price tags still on. At least 100 yeard. I had collected fabric of my own for years, got my Mom's when she died and now I have fabric enough to last for a long while. Most of my quilt cost batting and that is it. I tend to make my own patterns from pictures I see or make them as I go. I have NEVER spent over $20 on any quilt I have made. I have over 15 full / queen quilts ready to quilt, 8 baby quilts finished and 5 more to quilt.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:05 PM

Wow! I know you loved saving the earth! I also got my mom's fabric stash when she had to quit sewing. I hauled three trunk loads from her house to my studio. Turns out she loved blue, a lot, so I've started making a blue/beige prairie braids quilt with flower appliques between the braids. I'm thinking of making it to fit a hospital bed so that when she gets out of the hospital and goes to a nursing home, she'll have a colorful quilt to fit that bed. I cut all the fabrics today and figured out to start the piecing, so when I get home from the hospital tomorrow, I'll be able to sew.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Power Poster

I think being thrifty leads to more creativity, saves the planet and is just far more original and artistic. Some of the most beautiful and expensive paintings in the world were painted on re-used canvas and even the backs of old doors. I revisited the "ugly fabric" thread the other day, the quilt produced is a beauty! Each quilt is priceless, the care in putting it together and the love in every stitch puts it's value beyond the reach of the richest person.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Power Poster

I don't know where everyone is finding the great clothing and sheets at thrift stores. I have Goodwill, Salvation Army and Savers thrift stores here and for the price they want for a men's good cotton shirt I can buy a yard of good fabric on sale. I'm very frugal with what I buy and I'm blessed that I don't have to be. Honestly I don't want over a $100 of my money to be tied up in any quilt I make. I have that and more in most all my quilts if I had bought the fabric and batting at regular prices. I would rather have that money in my pocket then on a bed somewhere. I make over 90% of my quilts from my stash including the batting. I have about as much batting as I do fabric. When I go to quilt shows I stock up on the pre cut wool and silk 18" batting squares, cheap! Don't pass up that vendor's big table of batting. I love the squares for QAYG quilts. I have a closet full of packages and bolts of batting all bought at clearance prices. I love to buy fabric so I replenish what I use whenever I find a great sale. I have enough fabric I can hold out for the rock bottom values. I prefer scrappy quilts so any fabric is the right fabric. I buy thread in sets when I find it at least 50% or more off. I usually buy any new quilting tool I think I want to try without waiting for a sale price.