Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Much to Charge for Long-Arm Lessons >

How Much to Charge for Long-Arm Lessons

How Much to Charge for Long-Arm Lessons

Old 02-10-2012, 06:17 AM

I probably wouldn't charge my friend anything for lessons. But, if she planned on using my machine to do her quilts, I'd come up with a reduced rate. But, I'm more inclined to quilt her stuff for her instead. I let a friend use my machine once and she messed it up. I liked to have never got it back in time. So, you might think about that too.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:22 AM

Hmmm. Let me get this straight. Your friend bought a NEW LA machine... and ... there were no instructions or classes on how to use it? Something is not right with that picture. Every vender I have met with at the various quilting expos or events has provided free lessons. Some are from out of state and come and stay near you and take up to 3 days to set up the machine and instruct the buyer. Some are local and provide limitless support/instruction.

Did she buy it locally? Did she get a LA machine where they came in and set it up and then gave her lessons.? Did she get a DVD on how to use her LA? Did she at least get some sort of book on use and maintenance?

Do you use that type of LA and/or know how to work with it, including tension and maintenance? Are you willing to have her say that you said XYZ and it was wrong because she got mixed up and you had really said ZYX? If you do teach her how to use her LA can you make a print out for her of what she needs to know to cover yourself when things go wrong?

How close a friend is she?

I bought my HQ gently used but the local dealer gave me free lessons on use. I also got 2 DVD's on how to use it: the first one on the HQ and the second on the use of the ProStitcher that I later bought on sale.

So, now I have asked my questions ... now for more.

One of our LQS's charges $100 to be certified on their LA's then $20/hr or $100/day to use them. Their prices for certification just went up.

Sorry if I present a negative picture. I just want you to be aware of some of the risks and responsibilities you both might encounter. Though I am curious why no instruction when she bought a new LA.

ali