Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much do you buy - new fabric line

Kona Bay has come out with a new fabric line, it is called Good Fortune. I am in love! I have long been a fan of Asian fabrics, and these are gorgeous. I have no plans for what to do with them, but I WANT THEM ALL!!!! At this point any that I purchase would just go in the stash until the project for them came to me. So . . . how much should I buy of each?

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...abrics--m-3061

I found a fabric that I love, but have no idea what I am going to do with it. So, based on info I have read from other Board members, I bought three yards. That will give me enough to do almost anything with it. Most folks on here have said they buy at least two or three yards.

Blog Entries
    I am a bad person to ask about this..I would be buying at least two yard of each fabric...three of the ones I love.

I concur, three yards, if at all possible.
    If you love it, you will find something to make with it! ;-) ;-) ;-)

I don' know how much you will need, but I love the dragon and lantern prints.

Blog Entries
    it depends on how many fabrics are in the line, don't ya think? i mean...if there are 40 fabrics to the line a fq of each would probably be good (and affordable) if there are 5 fabrics to the collection then maybe yardage is do=able. buy as much of it as you can afford...if you love it you will find uses for it.

But no less than 3 yds if you really like it. More if you love it!

I'd say two to three yards of each.

I would (and have) purchased 3 or 4 yards of the one that I love the most as my 'focus' fabric. Then I will pick 6-8 of the coordinating fabrics and buy a yard of each. And about 4 yards of the one that I think would be best as a backing. That usually keeps my covered on just about anything I design or pattern that I find. Although sometimes I end up switching my focus and my backing by the time I really use it.

I have to say that I love all 15 fabrics, that is a big problem since there is no way I can afford 45 yards of fabric at $9 a yard. At least and not stay married!

That's one of my problems too, since I'm new and my stash isn't as "filled in" as the old-timers, I never know how much to get of each, I tend to lean toward 1 to 2 yards myself, but it depends on how much money I have at the time.

I would buy three yards each of two different focus fabrics then pick out three or more blenders of 1 yd. each to go with it.

Oh, heck with it - just buy the entire bolt of each one - make sure you never run out!

I would agree that 2-3 yards would be good of each. the more yardage the best chance of having enough for a very large quilt and or fussy cutting enough blocks or shapes for a quilt.

Blog Entries
    I agree with everyone else here, at least 2-3 yards or more if you really love it! And yes, I have been known to buy an entire bolt on occasion! :oops:

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhboxers
    I would (and have) purchased 3 or 4 yards of the one that I love the most as my 'focus' fabric. Then I will pick 6-8 of the coordinating fabrics and buy a yard of each. And about 4 yards of the one that I think would be best as a backing. That usually keeps my covered on just about anything I design or pattern that I find. Although sometimes I end up switching my focus and my backing by the time I really use it.
    This is what I do also, except I will get only 1/2 yd on something in the line that I don't love as much.

if money is an issue, i don't buy the fabric line for the backing. i find a cheaper co-ordinate, like muslin or a solid and use that. i use the real money for the front only. what size do you usually make? that determines the yardage. for a king, i buy 5 of the major one and two each of the others. that gives me leeway to do whatever, even though there's lots left over for stash. a king size quilt needs almost ten yards total for the backing, so that should give you an idea of what you need. remember the seam allowances and bindings.

I buy most of my fabric on line. We do have Joannes and another small fabric store and they don't carry much western fabric.

Well, if I were rich, LOTS of it, but me, probaly only a half yard!

I am on a limited income so I buy 1/2 yard of new fabrics I love and then I usually cut it into 2 FQs One for me and one to give away to a quilting friend.

Get one yard of each, and at least 8 yards of the one you like best for backing/borders.

Blog Entries
    Love the fabric. Not loving the price.

I don't know if I will use it for a bed quilt or for a wall hanging. I printed out all of the fabrics on one page which does make it a little easier to pick and choose. I think I have narrowed it down to JUST 12 of the 15 LOL!

Why not pick a specfic colorway of the fabrics and then determine from those how much you would need....then you could add a couple of the other ones you don't feel you can live without.

I'm not crazy about this line personally, but if I found a line I liked, I wouldn't buy some of EVERY color of each design. I would choose the color I liked the most, buy the most of that focus fabric, then pick the other fabrics from that line as blenders and purchase 1/2 to 1 yard of each of those depending on what I thought I might do with it.

I did see a line I liked either early this year or last year ( can't rembemer the name of it) but I bought only a FQ of each of the colors, plus 3 or 4 yards of the one I liked the most. I still haven't decided what I want to do with it all, but I keep looking at it, hoping to get some inspiration on what it tells me to make with it. I'm tempted to get either the Bow Tuck pattern, and make some bags using the different fabrics or make some generic tote bags using a number of the different fabrics for each one. But need to find the time to do it all also... LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast