Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Much Do You Spend on Fabric? >

How Much Do You Spend on Fabric?

How Much Do You Spend on Fabric?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:21 PM

well...today was my first purchase since 1/1/11 - $85 at the LQS - all was 50% off so like to think I saved a lot! Not sure how many yards - was going to post a pic tonight but camera battery dead so is now charging. will try to post tomorrow. prob won't buy any more for a while. (haven't we all said THAT before!)
Old 01-11-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by mollymct
I'm just a beginning quilter and I don't have a monthly budget. I'm just picking projects and finding the fabrics I want then. I don't have the space or the desire to maintain a stash right now. I'm trying to reduce and simplify!!
If I didn't keep a budget ,I wouldn't be able to keep a clear record of how much I have involved in each quilt and would end up losing money. I have to remember all the rest of the things that I'll need that will go with that fabric.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:49 PM

There are months when I spend nothing at all, and other months that I'll spend 150-400. Most of the time I shop only on sales. I LOVE Connecting Threads for their fabrics, and I do most of my shopping online since my LQS has recently raised their prices to no cheaper than $13 a yard and more if it's batik. I can't afford it. I'm a teacher and don't make that much!

That being said, I do have a rather large stash. I've been sewing ever since I can remember (and I'm almost 28 now), and lots of people have given me fabric, or I've thrifted it from used clothing. In my entire stash I don't think that there's even a FQ of fabric that I've paid full price for. My grandmother also passed her stash on to me when she could no longer see well enough, and so did my husbands grandmother. When I do buy for a project, if a pattern calls for 3 yards, I'll typically buy 4 or so to allow for human error in cutting/sewing/seam ripping. The leftover all goes into the stash. It builds slowly and over time.

The important thing is to remember that it's not a race to get a huge stash and to BE HAPPY with what you have.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:07 PM

This month has been more than usual as the quilt shops have been having sales. $300.00 :lol:
Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 PM

Way too much but still cheaper than therapy!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
I get nervous with too much fabric and it becomes worrisome for me.
I don't get nervous.....but my DH does! :roll:
Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 PM

Some months I don't spend anything!

I'm fairly new to quilting, it's been two years just this past november.

I can only purchase what I need for my classes. I started quilting with a beginner class in Nov 2009 and then in January I signed up for 3 classes over the winter session. Then in the fall, 3 more. And so on, and so on (just this past saturday signed up for 3 more for the winter 2011 season).

So I buy what's required for the classes and as fat quarters are only $4.75 I'll usually buy 3 or 4 once in a while, that go together, to try to build up my stash.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:39 PM

I think most of us might say way too much but what that really means in quiltspeak is not nearly enough. I used to be an Assistant Manager at Fabricland and that was a dangerous job but I loved it.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 PM

I run hot and cold. I buy what I consider too much and then keep myself from buying until I "forget" when I see a really good deal and that starts the ball rolling again. :oops:
Old 01-11-2011, 11:46 PM

I've been quilting since I retired (8 years), and have more fabric than I can use! When I see something I really like at a quilt shop, I might buy it for our guild's charity quilt group that I belong to. 1.5 yards will make a back for a cuddle quilt, and less will do for blocks or sashing or binding. 3 yards if it is really cute! I get to shop, but don't have to store the purchase and get to play with it by making charity quilts. Tax write off, too! I never did scrappy quilts, but just took a class from Linda Ballard (4 patch for the 90's) and I've become a convert! I had purchased a fat quarter of every fabric in the line of a friend (Rob Appel of the Cotton Ball in Morro Bay, CA) and ended up with 39 different fabrics that were good colors and interesting patterns each in themselves, but were hard to put together in a non-scrappy quilt. I cut them into rectangles as instructed in LInda's class with a white background and they magically transformed into triangles and squares and a wonderful quilt without ever cutting a triangle or square! I'm going to take the ribbons off all those beautifully matched 8 piece fat quarter collections and get busy mixing and matching and use up some stash. This is fun!