Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much does fabric cost in your country? >

How much does fabric cost in your country?

How much does fabric cost in your country?

Old 01-24-2010, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by wordmama
This is a really interesting topic! I had no idea things cost so much in other countries. It makes $9-10/yd seem not so bad. I'm sorry that you guys can't get your fabric cheaper. Do you think it has to do with tariffs/tax breaks from some countries (China/Mexico) that trade with the US? I wonder...
Alot of items here in France classed as "non-essential" carry the top rate luxury tax, I suppose that could be the reason.
In all purpose fabric stores if there happens (rarely) to be a small patchwork counter, they are classed as "confection" (or decoration). Clothing, utility fabrics are not as expensive comparatively.

Now fancy classing fabric as non-essential!!!

Books are another item here very, very expensive.

Like Woody, we have to buy off a screen, and the QS's you all talk about are just a dream to us!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:05 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Well Katrine has given you the low down on France and I've nothing to add, except to say that I think Holland is just a smidge cheaper - for example I had a Kaufman Fusion here in France for 22 euros (31 USD) a few months ago. I have seen that same range in Holland for 16 euros (22 USD) a metre (39"). Plus in Holland there are a lot more fabric shops, here my nearest really good dedicated QS is a good hour away. My knowledge of French lady quilters (fairly limited, I used to go to a local guild) is that they buy fabric for a project - they don't stash build (hardly surprising at those prices!).

I order online, mostly from the UK like Katrine. If I'm in Holland, I treat myself to buying something I can actually stroke first! :-D

BUT on the upside, I can get a really great bottle of wine for a couple of dollars, so it's not all bad! :lol:
Old 01-25-2010, 06:27 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by blahel

When the craft show comes to town that is when I buy some really nice fabrics.
Do craft shows in Australia sell supplies? Here in the US, craft shows are for selling finished products, whether wood, fabric, jewelry, pottery, etc.

Maybe it's just the label "craft show" that's used differently.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

Wow you non American quilters really have a disadvantage! With a Dutch SIL I can't imagine a quilter in Holland having any more fabric than what he/she needed for the quilt being made at the time. Prices here run $9 at closest LQS and $10 at the shop 20 miles away. Was in a shop a little further away Thursday and she had $8.75 per yard. A lot depends on overhead-rent, inventory, salaries, etc.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
BUT on the upside, I can get a really great bottle of wine for a couple of dollars, so it's not all bad! :lol:
Looks like I have the best of both worlds, non?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:16 PM

Craft shows in Australia usually are for retailers and wholesalers to show their latest! They launch BOMs, new books, patterns, have fat 1/4's for sale and the usual LQS supplies. I have never seen finished products for sale.

Fabric around where I live starts at $22 - 28 a metre. I do support my LQS by buying thread, batting, sometimes backing or lining of totes, but the majority of my fabric purchases come from online shopping in the US. The exchange rate is approximately AUD$0.90 to the USD. Huge savings. I only buy from shops that do flat rate shipping.

On a side note, I also buy books from the states as well, I wish that would come in flat rate shipping! LOL
Old 01-25-2010, 07:28 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Originally Posted by blahel

When the craft show comes to town that is when I buy some really nice fabrics.
Do craft shows in Australia sell supplies? Here in the US, craft shows are for selling finished products, whether wood, fabric, jewelry, pottery, etc.

Maybe it's just the label "craft show" that's used differently.
Well we do live downunder so I guess we would have different names for things! We only have about 2 craft shows a year that have quilts etc and yes they do sell supplies from books to material and threads to sewing machines plus they also have a quilt exhibition. One of the shows also has a lot of hands on workshops but is more tailored towards all other crafts but they do have some quilting things.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:18 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by k3n
Looks like I have the best of both worlds, non?
Ja! Du hast gluck! :mrgreen: Sorry can't do umlauts! :lol:
Old 01-26-2010, 08:06 AM

Checking in from Norway where "everything" is expensive. I pay anywhere from $6 to $8 for a FQ, so you can imagine what a meter costs! For decent fabric our prices run around $25 to $50 depending on where you buy it.

I order a lot of my material on the Internet, especially from Ebay sellers who use flat rate packages. I am careful to order less than 200kr each time so I don't have to pay for customs. I also load up a suitcase or 2 when I am home in the states for a visit.

The cost of living here in Norway does support the high prices, so I don't feel so bad buying FQ at my LQS. I like to patronize local stores to keep them in business. There is no such thing as big bargains in fabrics here.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:39 AM

39-5/16 inches (actually - if you want exact, exact - it's a smidgeon of a hair's width over 39-5/16" :roll: