Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much does fabric cost in your country? >

How much does fabric cost in your country?

How much does fabric cost in your country?

Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Dkm

Have you thought of having someone in the US buy for you and send it, or would you have to still pay a fee on the package.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Zoe

When we were posted to The Hague in the Netherlands, my friend and I would take the train to Antwerp that had a quilt shop with an ad advertising it as the largest quilt shop in Europe! We so enjoyed the two hour train ride, enjoying a good cup of coffee. We could walk to the quilt shop where we discovered this lady used to live in the States. She had brought most of her fabrics, quilt tops, threads, etc. with her when she moved to Belgium. Her prices were much more expensive than in the States so we didn't buy much, because we could order from the States. However, this lady was a wonderful person who enjoyed all the Americans who crammed into her shop. It was a small shop by our standards, and it made us realize how much space our own stores have. I found twenty quilt squares, pinned together, that were handmade by a church group in Tennessee. Need I write that I bought them, so their story is that they crossed the "Big Pond" twice--going to Belgium and then returning home to America. By the way, after shopping, we would hit the wonderful cafes to get fruit beers and Belgian Waffles. Then on to the wonderful chocolate stores. Finally, we would be zigzagging our way to the train station where the conductor had gotten used to the two strangely funny American women, so he would yell out in Dutch "Hurry or you two will have to spend the night in Antwerp!" I agree that we had the best of both worlds. :lol:
Old 01-26-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by mumtoliam
On a side note, I also buy books from the states as well, I wish that would come in flat rate shipping! LOL
My Christmas present this year is Barnes & Noble's eReader, the Nook. Amazon.com has the Kindle. Most of the books that can be downloaded are only $10 which is only a dollar or two above the price of a paperback, now-a-days. Best yet, you don't have to buy the hard back to enjoy a new book right away.

For those of you not in the USA, do you have access to a Nook or Kindle? Or, is the downloading capability limited to only the USA?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:16 PM

In Tassie, cotton quilting fabric is $22 - $25 per metre. A metre is roughly the same amount as a yard.

Spotlight has some at $12 - $19 per metre, but not as nice fabrics. Our Spotlight here is small with limited selections.

Our government whacks a 17.5% import tax (on amounts over $1000) on fabric when it enters the country, then sticks another 10% gst on top of that. They are not doing small business here any favours with that sort of taxing!

I've already bought from the USA online and am thrilled with the fabrics. Postage cost is a problem, but even with that it's much cheaper to buy overseas.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:25 PM

CAnadian prices of 15-18 dollars a metre are the exception rather than the rule. Cranston Prints (mostly what Walmart carries) is 9.00 a metre here in Newfoundland. Fabricville runs from 6.00 -15.00 but they often have great sales. My LQS is 7.00 a metre to 10.00 a metre. And there's a discount type store where they sell fabric by the yard at 5.95.

And of course all these places also have sale and some fabric will be lower. I visited one store that had ridiculous prices. I smiled at the lady bought a fat quarter and haven't been back.

And I always think of my metres like this, if I buy 8 metres I have an extra yard over and above if I bought it in yards. Adds up after a while.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:27 PM

In Brazil fabrics costs a lot, same level as in Norway.
Just checked - Amy Butler quilt fabric --> U$26,00-28,00 - decor fabric --> U$ 51,76 !!!! Hoffman, Benartex, P & B, etc starts at U$ 25,00. Pre quilted --> U$ 33,00 :roll: I order online - a flate rate env. up to $50 goes through customs at no taxation.
Have bought fabric in Europe cheaper than here :?
Prices are :evil: I use to buy books, rulers, notions, everything quilt related online. I´m glad I can read/write in English, that I know how to use a pc, that I have my own credit card , that I´m not afraid of buying online :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-26-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
On a side note, I also buy books from the states as well, I wish that would come in flat rate shipping! LOL
My Christmas present this year is Barnes & Noble's eReader, the Nook. Amazon.com has the Kindle. Most of the books that can be downloaded are only $10 which is only a dollar or two above the price of a paperback, now-a-days. Best yet, you don't have to buy the hard back to enjoy a new book right away.

For those of you not in the USA, do you have access to a Nook or Kindle? Or, is the downloading capability limited to only the USA?
I bought my DH a kindle for xmas. We don't have access to as many titles (different selections for different countries did you know?) but it's brilliant. Not good for quilting books with coloured pictures though! I buy books from Amazon at less than half price than here, in most cases.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Blockhead
I bought my DH a kindle for xmas. We don't have access to as many titles (different selections for different countries did you know?) but it's brilliant. Not good for quilting books with coloured pictures though! I buy books from Amazon at less than half price than here, in most cases.
I did not know that! Interesting that they have a different selection of books. And, yes, my Nook is only B&W so I know what you mean about using it for quilting books. Not! Thanks for the info.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:19 PM

[quote=QBeth]

Nook and Kindle are available in Brazil
Old 01-26-2010, 02:57 PM

Fabric in Australia is $27 per metre. That's why I buy ALL my fabric online from the US. Even with the US$14.00 postage for 6 yards, it is SOOOOOOO much cheaper ... and I have never been disappointed with my choice.