Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much does fabric cost in your country? >

How much does fabric cost in your country?

How much does fabric cost in your country?

Old 01-30-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
After reading another post about the cost of fabric in Canada ($15 - $18 / meter), I thought it might be interesting to ask what the price is in other countries.

Please chime in and tell us!
Anywhere from $3.99 - 12.99 a yard and at my local quilt store it is 8.99 but I get a 10% discount there and 40% off in the sale room ;). I average about 5-7 dollars a yard i think.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by lnordyke
I think a meter is about 39 inches. Anyone know for sure?
yes it is 39 inches .
Old 01-30-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by fraserblack
Fabric in Australia is $27 per metre. That's why I buy ALL my fabric online from the US. Even with the US$14.00 postage for 6 yards, it is SOOOOOOO much cheaper ... and I have never been disappointed with my choice.
27 dollars a meter that is crazy . I can see why you thought I would not make money selling my quilts that is awful !!! :( My mom lives with me part of the year in CA and part in canada and up there she says it is abut 15-18 a yard !!! yikes how do people afford to do this??
Old 01-30-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lockeb
Mamagus,
Our Walmarts here in Quebec have all but stopped carrying...almost nothing out - I went to Fabricville here on Sunday - FQ's are $4.99....there was a selection of fabrics at $10.00 - but not must you would want to bring home...the better cottons were all $15-18.00....the local quilt stores are all within that price and higher....
Yup, that's my experience shopping in the Montreal area too. I live near Cornwall, and usually shop in either Montreal or Ottawa (Montreal is way cheaper for most things!)

I've never tried to buy fabric in a Canadian Walmart, so I don't know what their prices are/were like. Our big chain fabric store is Fabricville (in Quebec) / Fabricland (in other parts of Canada), and they usually have a good selection of quilting fabric. Their prices can be high - $14 to $18/meter is what I usually see for good quality quilting fabric at Fabricville. I usually wait for their half-price sales, which they have quite often. I also like to go through their big remnants section, and I have sometimes found real gems for $5/meter. You need time and patience and strong arms, though, because all the bolts are just piled together!

My LQS, and all the LQS within an hour's drive of me, charge at least $15/meter.

$15 CAD is currently $14 US - but the exchange rate moves so much these days it's hard to keep up!

I buy a lot of my fabric online from places like Thousands of Bolts that ship in the US flat-rate envelopes, that way I know exactly what I'm paying for shipping and can fill an envelope with $5/yard fabric, and save a little money.

Jan
Old 01-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

I save even the smallest scraps because I like to do mini's and usually only make those mini's from those scraps. I figure even here in the US at $9 a yard an inch wide strip of fabric cut wof is $.25 and Canadian prices at $14 and $18 a meter make that same inch $.36 and $.46, respectively. I ask you would you throw a quarter or more in the waste basket at those prices? I really have trouble with patterns that create alot of waste fabric for that reason.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by ai731
Originally Posted by Lockeb
Mamagus,
Our Walmarts here in Quebec have all but stopped carrying...almost nothing out - I went to Fabricville here on Sunday - FQ's are $4.99....there was a selection of fabrics at $10.00 - but not must you would want to bring home...the better cottons were all $15-18.00....the local quilt stores are all within that price and higher....
Yup, that's my experience shopping in the Montreal area too. I live near Cornwall, and usually shop in either Montreal or Ottawa (Montreal is way cheaper for most things!)
wow that is so high !!! we get Fq for a dollar ...

I've never tried to buy fabric in a Canadian Walmart, so I don't know what their prices are/were like. Our big chain fabric store is Fabricville (in Quebec) / Fabricland (in other parts of Canada), and they usually have a good selection of quilting fabric. Their prices can be high - $14 to $18/meter is what I usually see for good quality quilting fabric at Fabricville. I usually wait for their half-price sales, which they have quite often. I also like to go through their big remnants section, and I have sometimes found real gems for $5/meter. You need time and patience and strong arms, though, because all the bolts are just piled together!

My LQS, and all the LQS within an hour's drive of me, charge at least $15/meter.

$15 CAD is currently $14 US - but the exchange rate moves so much these days it's hard to keep up!

I buy a lot of my fabric online from places like Thousands of Bolts that ship in the US flat-rate envelopes, that way I know exactly what I'm paying for shipping and can fill an envelope with $5/yard fabric, and save a little money.

Jan
Old 02-01-2010, 04:50 AM

Here in South Africa material cost about $17.17 per meter. But we have very few shops. I buy mostly via internet from USA or Australia, but I find USA a bit cheaper.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:51 AM

I am truly amazed at how expensive fabric is around the world.. I am even more grateful for the prices I get!!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rina
Here in South Africa material cost about $17.17 per meter. But we have very few shops. I buy mostly via internet from USA or Australia, but I find USA a bit cheaper.
A quick aside, if I may. My niece-in-law is from South Africa -- lovely lovely woman! A popular tv show around here was "Meerkat Manor." We loved the show but stopped watching when the matriarch Flower died.

We wondered if the antics they showed on the show were true to life or, somehow influenced by the researchers who were trying to dissect Meerkat behavior. When I asked my niece, she told me that all they do all day is run around peeing on the rocks! It took me a while before I stopped laughing!! :lol:

Someday, I'd love to visit your country Rina, if just to see for myself if my niece was exagerating!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:37 PM

Has anyone tried ordering from http://www.equilter.com ?
Luana Rubin site