Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How much fabric do you buy?

Blog Entries
    I try to have a general purpose in mind. Questions I ask myself: Would I use it for borders and maybe focus fabric, then get 3 yards. Would it be a background fabric, then 2 yards. A supporting fabric, then 1 to 1 1/2 yards. Would it make a good backing, then 5 or 6 yards ( or more depending on size of quilt). If you like scrap quilts then Fat Quarters are great.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    when it is a fabric i think would make great borders or backgrounds i buy 2-3 yards- if it is something i love but really have no idea what i would do with it i buy 1 yard- or maybe even a fatquarter- if i just can not even imagine what i would do with it- if it is a fabric i think would make a wonderful back i buy anywhere from 5 -10 yards...depending on the price & if i think i could use it for more than one quilt.
    so, it really depends on why i like it- is it a good blender- fabric i would pull out & use often? then i need 2-3 yards of it- is it more of a feature fabric that needs other fabrics with? then maybe only 1 yard....i seldom have a plan when i buy fabric-unless i'm choosing a backing-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I buy a yard if it really speaks to me. If it is a great blender and a great sale I'll pick up 2-3 yards. Have been enjoying the 5" charm packs a lot too. You can enjoy the guilty, quilty pleasure of having a minimal amount of everything in that particular collection for under $10. The charm quilts work up quickly, make nice gifts and are just a lot of fun to make.

New to quilting (after a 30 yr. absence) .... and I've only done the rag quilts, so I like to buy 1/2 yard of any color that suits my fancy.

I am so hoping to take some classes and learn how to do the bindings!!!!! That was the part (years ago) that I really did not do well at .... now that I'm retired, I can spend more time and learn things properly!!! Plus U-tube is just great for learning things

jody

WOW I can't believe all you ladies who buy so much fabric of one kind. Perhaps it is my quilting style but I rarely buy more than a yard unless it is for a back. I mostly buy FQ's or a regular half a yard. I almost never put borders on my quilts and use a lot of white so I don't need great quantities of one color. I like the scrappy look. I guess that is why.

Blog Entries
    If it could work as a backing, I get 5 or 6 yards (those are always bought on sale). Others, I often get 2-3 yards because that length allows me to cut border strips LOF (if I don't want to piece) and I often cut my binding strips that way too. (I don't do continuous binding any longer but use double-mitered instead).
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by mtchick View Post
    Actually, I live in Georgia, but am a medical transcriptionist in my "real life" and that explains the MT.
    I live in Florida and am an MT in training. Welcome. Gina

Depending on what I want it for, anywhere from 2-3 yards to the bolt...batiks are apt to be in the five or so yard range "just because..."
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

me too! !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
    way too much-if I like it.

Since my quilts are never out of 4 or 5 specific fabrics. I use collections of reds or greens or whatever comes into my head. For that reason I've been buying fabric from Thousands of Bolts (thousandsofbolts.com). I like their site because I can buy end cuts, ie; 15" x WOF for $1.95. These are all first quality from leading manufacturers that you would recognize. I just bought $50 worth and got a lot of nice stuff. Check them out.

I always take advantage of sales, bargain bins and remnant bins. I buy bulk quantities of solids, neutrals, blenders and less of pattern/novelties. Amounts vary....I picked up 5 fat quarters for 5.00 the other day (that is very cheap here...The marked price per FQ was 4.95).

Welcome from Minnesota!

I buy a couple of yards if the fabric is screaming at me to buy it. It has to be screaming... anything less than that I tell myself that I have so much in a stash already that I don't need another bolt put on a shelf. (I get the bolt cores from my LQS.) That said, I still have fabric that screamed at me, that I have never used. I guess my "screamer" was off...

Buy what you can. A limited budget never stopped me from getting my fabric fix.
    Anita in Northfield, MN

If you're anywhere near Cumming then Threadbare Fabrics has a sale room that will knock your socks off. I go in there and buy minimum 2-3 yds of everything I touch. If it's regular price, I buy no less than one yard. FQs are a really big waste of money unless they're on a spectacular sale.

[QUOTE=gollytwo;5310387]My go-to quilt when I need to make one in a hurry is "I Just Can't Cut It."
    That pattern has now become a HUGE favorite of mine....it has another name in our family. It's called "the Gibbs Family Wedding Quilt" as that is the pattern we use to make all the niece/nephew's quilt for a wedding present. My sister in laws and I make the quilt using material from our stashes for the kids. It has become a BIG deal at the opening of wedding presents so that everyone can see what each other's looks like!!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i buy 3 yards if it's calling my name.

I do too. I never buy less than a yard anymore, unless it is for a specific project. I have found if I have at least 3 I can use it for borders if I want. and not run out.

you have all been a good help . I have been wont to know for a long time now. I have just started and found a little quilt shop in my no mans town we are so small there not even a coffee shop here but there is a quilt shop just down the road. Most her thing run up to $10 But they look better then walmark . She also dos the quilt king was $110 is that good. That is the only thing my hand can not handle.

I buy between 3 to 4 yards as I can always find a pattern to use that in

Never less than a yard...and I don't like pre-cuts or kits.

I remember Alex Anderson saying on her "Simply Quilts" show yrs. ago that she never buys less than 3 yds. of a fabric that has no plan.

If I find a fabric I can't live without I usually buy 4 yards (or more depending on quilt size I plan to make)to make sure I have enough border/binding fabric and also incorporate the border fabric into the quilt. Once I have a pattern, then buy the other coordinating fabrics for the quilt. I always buy more than what a pattern calls for because we all make cutting mistakes(lesson learned) and you can always make a string or scrappy quilt from left over fabrics. Better to have too much than not enough.

I am a scrappy gal, and a fabricholic, so I buy, buy, buy. I started out buying 1 yd pieces - one time I had a quilt shop cut 30 1/8th of a yard - I thought I was being silly, so I went to 1 yd. Then I started on the sausage pillowcases and that takes 1 1/2 yds so I get 1/2 yd for me if I buy 2 yds. If I love it 3 yds, a terrific buy, the bolt. I buy lots of neutrals and cut them in 1 1/2, 2, & 2 1/2" strips, ala Bonnie Hunter. These strip bins have been wonderful for me. I get in the mood and I pull over a certain size and start sewing.
    Judi in Ohio

Welcome from N. Texas. Think about how loudly the fabric calling. Some calls me that isn't going to be used because I just like to look at it! I should have bought 18 inches instead of three yards...froggyintexas

Welcome from the Bay Area of California. I'm with most of the rest of the folks here - about 3-4 yards if I love it.

I usually make lap quilts, and my husband and son are both over 6 feet tall. So any 4 yard pieces could be used for backing on a quilt. Because of budget, I am TRYING to not buy material except at sales. I have found old clothing and even old sheets can be good sources of material. THERE ARE NO QUILT POLICE HERE TO TELL YOU WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO!

I would ask yourself what your main focus will be on quilting.

For myself, I do scrappy community quilts. These don't need large pieces of material. If you are into heirloom quality quilts, then you want larger pieces so you can make that quilt sing in the same colors throughout.

Talk to people. You will find sources of material from relatives, neighbors, church members and others once you speak up about your craft. Believe us, you will have a stash in NO TIME! Good luck and let us know how you do.

Alwaqys buy 3 yards and if you can 5 for you never know what you might want to make some day with it. I always say you cant go wrong with 3 yards of a good piece of fabric

i love your avatar pattern what is it called.. so bright

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast