Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much fabric do you buy? >

How much fabric do you buy?

How much fabric do you buy?

Old 06-23-2012, 06:42 AM

From what I have gathered, 3 yards is always a safe bet.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:58 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

ONE yard if I like it..
THREE (to five)yards if i love it.....
and the WHOLE BOLT if i cant live without it..

Ive got waaaaaaaaay to many bolts around here..
Old 06-23-2012, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

I read an article that said to buy 1 1/4 yards that way you can more easily use the fabric in either direction because you are buying a square. This has worked well for me.
If I like it, I buy 1 1/4 yards
If I love it, I buy 3 yards
If I want to marry it, I buy whatever's on the bolt.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:29 AM

Since I'm always watching my pennies, now that I've retired, I sometimes only buy a half yard each of a coordinated group just to have it. Larger amounts I usually only buy if I know what I'm going to do with it. All of what people are saying is good advice, though. I buy at a good shop mostly, since my favorite one is only a mile and a half from my house, so I can go in and browse and check out the sale tables whenever I want. There are three other good shops within ten miles, so I'm really spoiled that way. I don't feel compelled to stock up a lot. One thing I've found is that fabric I bought more than five years ago sometimes does go "out of fashion", so you hesitate to use it for an important project. Also, my taste changes over time. One LQS sells a big bag of "scraps" for maybe $10 or $15 and I've found they often have more than one yard pieces included with a bunch of 2.5" strips, or cut charms, and lots more. Value way more than the cost. The surprise element made me try new things when bought one of them. Since you are mtgirl - are you near Kalispell MT? There is a nice shop there - Quilt Gallery, and another in Missoula, I hear. As for online, I don't do that much, because I like to feel the fabric and know exactly what I'm getting. Have done it if I know a certain line. Rarely get something cheap from WalMart or JoAnn's, usually just to test a new technique, or for a workshop where I don't know what the result will be. And since I really want my LQSs to succeed, and they give me lots of personal support, I use them whenever I can.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:29 AM

I make alot of quilts that I like to use about 20 colors so for me 1 yard to 1/2 yards suits this purpose. But for a large scale print that screams border .. its 3 yards. If its just destined to be a great go to fabric for background say a white on white or cream on cream ... and it at a great price ... I go for at least 6- 7 yards , maybe the whole bolt ( if at a can't be beat price). For my style you can never have enough white on white or cream on cream on hand for me that like not having flour or sugar on hand.
So much depends on the styles of quilts that are your preference.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:55 AM

I buy lots of fat quarters for stash, I rarely make traditional quilts. Solids, I buy at least a yard, if not one or two more. I don't have a huge stash right now; I look at everyone else's on here and I assume at first they have their own fabric shop. ; ) I trade with friends on occasion, and I buy from everywhere- Jo Ann's, rarely WM (who has had great stuff lately) and my local and semi local quilt shops. All places mentioned have wonderful, encouraging employees when I've visited.
I like what you said about having white on hand, Lori, I feel the same way!

Welcome, this is a great group of ladies. I read frequently.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:27 AM

Actually, I live in Georgia, but am a medical transcriptionist in my "real life" and that explains the MT.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
way too much-if I like it.

LOL Wolph, I have to agree but I usually buy at least 2 yds if it's something I am really taken with! The reason for that is too often one runs out and needs more and it's gone!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:50 AM

Lately, a yard less than I need!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:58 AM

I usually buy at least 2 yds. If it's on sale and I love it, I will sometimes buy 4 yds. I'm ashamed to say I have way toooooooo much in my stash but can't seem to part with any of it. I might just need that one fabric to go with something!!! LOL. I, too, am an "older" person on a fixed income to only buy on sale. I like fabric.com, thousandsofbolts and connecting threads also as they have some good bargains. Happy Quilting !!