Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much fabric do you have in your stash? >

How much fabric do you have in your stash?

How much fabric do you have in your stash?

Old 04-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DebraK
I'm not telling.
My thoughts exactly!

But in my defense ... many bags full came from the church when they packed up and moved to another location. Then there was a friend who gave me many black bags full when she gave up her home sewing business. And there was a quilter who moved in next door who gave me tons when she was organizing her fabric for her new sewing room. This is not all quilting weight fabric, mind you. Also home dec and clothing fabrics. This isn't including the fabric I have bought and collected through the years.

I have purged recently and sent lots to the second hand store. After hubby accidently saw my stash. NEVER let them see what you have! It is a big mistake ... trust me.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:42 AM

Hummm...thinking. I have enough fabric to do about 30 quilts, probably. I am one that buys what I like - usually a focus fabric, then keep it until I decide to use it and then buy others to go with it. Sometimes I buy a yard of 4 or 5 fabrics in a line and save to find a suitable pattern. Anyway, I try to keep the "lines" together, otherwise sorted by color.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Enough fabric to fill metal shelves six feet tall and four feet wide. Here's one corner, along with "Mr. Helpful"!
Mr. Helpful is sew cute, and he is on my favorite color.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:00 AM

Phew, I don't feel so bad anymore. I thought I was the only one that had a lot of fabric. I have more then I need, but not more then I want. I have a small walk in closet full, and more stacked neatly on those board things in a cubby type shelving unit. I should be able to pull out enough for most any quilt, but of course that never happens. New idea need new fabric, right? Right? Please tell me I am not a hoarder. My stuff is fairly organized, not piled under the bed and you don't have to step over it. (Most of the time, anyway)
Old 04-07-2010, 10:00 AM

I have no idea how much I have, I could open my own shop and still have plenty for me. I have bins full in mysewing room closet (from floor all the way up) and then there is my big closet which has totes on one whole wall full of fabric.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 AM

Just started trying to organize my fabric. The quilting fabric pretting much fills a 5 shelf 60" tall bookcase. My tapestry/upholstry fabric will likely do the same. Then I can figure out what else I have and what I want to do with it. I also have fabric that belongs to my daughter and SIL that is mostly RenFaire costuming fabric. Plus I have several bolts of fleece.

I'm thinking of using some of the double knit from a stash I was given to make large square block quilts for some sort of homeless shelter or other charity.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:27 AM

I must have close to a hundred pounds of fabric, and if I had a bigger area, I'd have more, I seem to be lacking in light blues, purples; yellows, off white background fabrics, oh, yeah, never have enough batiks! I keep mine stored by color, then Christmas patterns, and theme prints.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:53 AM

Wow you guys sure have lots of fabric. How do you afford all that? My stash could fit into one carboard box if I moved. I'd loooove to have more, but it's not in the budget. (And I learned my lesson on not getting the cheapest fabric you can find when I made a pillowtop out of $1/yd Walmart fabric. Yikes!)
Old 04-07-2010, 11:00 AM

So I am pretty new to the quilting game and I have only made a few quilts but I seem to be missing this stash part of it. All of you are working on your stash and adding to it :) I guess I am not to that point. I don't see why I would want to buy a bunch of fabric just to have it? I buy fabric specific to a project and make that project and then buy more for my next project. I always buy a little extra for those oops moments but all in all I don't have very much extra. So my question is why is the need for the fabric hoarding? Every time I go to the LQS I see fabric that is always as beautiful as the last time even though it may be a bit different still beautiful nonetheless. So what am I missing? Why are your stashes so large? Do I need to pick up the pace next time I am out shopping? :) Just curious on everyone's reasoning :)
Old 04-07-2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
So I am pretty new to the quilting game and I have only made a few quilts but I seem to be missing this stash part of it. All of you are working on your stash and adding to it :) I guess I am not to that point. I don't see why I would want to buy a bunch of fabric just to have it? I buy fabric specific to a project and make that project and then buy more for my next project. I always buy a little extra for those oops moments but all in all I don't have very much extra. So my question is why is the need for the fabric hoarding? Every time I go to the LQS I see fabric that is always as beautiful as the last time even though it may be a bit different still beautiful nonetheless. So what am I missing? Why are your stashes so large? Do I need to pick up the pace next time I am out shopping? :) Just curious on everyone's reasoning :)
Almost all the fabric in my stash I bought on sale. That means I can make quilts from half price or less fabrics instead of full price fabric.