Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much fabric do you have in your stash? >

How much fabric do you have in your stash?

How much fabric do you have in your stash?

Old 04-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I don't dare try to figure out how much I have as I started collecting before I started quilting. But it never fails when I have a certain project in mind I don't have the right fabrics. I don't have fabrics for boys quilts.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
So I am pretty new to the quilting game and I have only made a few quilts but I seem to be missing this stash part of it. All of you are working on your stash and adding to it :) I guess I am not to that point. I don't see why I would want to buy a bunch of fabric just to have it? I buy fabric specific to a project and make that project and then buy more for my next project. I always buy a little extra for those oops moments but all in all I don't have very much extra. So my question is why is the need for the fabric hoarding? Every time I go to the LQS I see fabric that is always as beautiful as the last time even though it may be a bit different still beautiful nonetheless. So what am I missing? Why are your stashes so large? Do I need to pick up the pace next time I am out shopping? :) Just curious on everyone's reasoning :)
Maybe because we can? I love to look at my stash and touch it and fondle it. I know, I know, I'm a little OCD. That's why I have so much to start with! But if you don't want to have a stash, that's OK, too. I know several quilters who purchase for just the project they are working on. I know HUNDREDS who "buy it when they see it", because if they don't, it will be gone when they want it. Either way is OK. I believe it is a mental condition, however. Kinda like a hoarder, only not so bad. Most of us keep it neatly in boxes, bags, cabinets, shelves, bookcases, closets, and anywhere else we can put it. And we know what we have!! ..............hmmmmmm, I know I have a piece that will go with this one. What did I do with it? Oh, there it is!................... Anyway, that's my take one it. :lol:
YTQ
Old 04-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Google Goddess

Wow, this is a cool thread!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Wow, this is a cool thread!
Yeah, you start a lot of good ones. It's fun, but I really need to be sewing!! LOL
Old 04-07-2010, 12:43 PM

I would say I topped out between 300 to 500 yards. I am down to 75 to 100 yards right now. When I inherited my first 'stash' it included at least 100? 150? yards of silk. I couldn't sew it for years, I just wanted to touch it and look at it and touch it. It is my goal to sew down to the nothings so I can justify new stock. It has been time to let go of most of it for a long time. I have dribs and drabs of the silk, lots of baby quilt pieces but I have almost sewn all of my large yardage pieces. It is hard to let go of it. I can't throw scraps away. I have learned to buy a piece of yardage if it really calls out to me because I won't see it again if I pass it up.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:46 PM

Maybe several thousand yards. I have no idea exactly how much.
All nice and organized by type/ color/ size in built in cabinets as well as a couple rolling drawer carts and about 10 or 12 large clear rubbermaid totes in the garage.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
Just enough to annoy my husband and make me happy!
lol you are so funny :lol: :lol: Penny
Old 04-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I probably have around a thousand yards of fabric. I actually counted how many yards were in my cupboard when I moved time before last. That was almost 5 years ago and I have probably more than doubled it since then. I've used a lot since then too but it seems to come in faster than it goes out.

I have mine sorted by length of the cut.

I had one of those three drawer carts crammed full of scraps. I moved most of it into a single giant drawer in my new cutting center. It's not really new new, it's an ancient metal dresser I'm putting a top on to hold a cutting mat.
Wow I would be in hug heaven. Penny
Old 04-07-2010, 03:32 PM

Stash??? I need the 12 step Stash program. My hobby room is 18 x 18 and I have three walls full of shelves and they are full. Also the closet has yardage hanging on hangers, drawers, crates, etc. My friend is coming over next week to help me go thru it all and take some to other charity quilters. It's running into the hallway. Oops, forgot my 12 clear shoe boxes of fat qtrs. I', hooked.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:34 PM

I am trying not to buy any fabric this year. Use what I have. So can't look at Joann flyers, read sales on email, etc. Talk about withdrawal.