Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much fabric to use >

How much fabric to use

How much fabric to use

Old 01-30-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by daisyboo9
Originally Posted by pdcakm
go to joanns with a 40 or 50 percent coupon and buy the fabri-calc. it really works.
I did exactly this, but now I need to go to university to figure out how to use it!
Ditto!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by traveling2dals
I never buy enough fabric and have to go back and try to find the same one. Whats an easy way to figure out how much you need for your quilt?
If I find a really nice fabric that I cannot live without, I buy 4 yards. I'll find something to do with it later. LOL
Old 01-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

I would need a calculator for most projects and that doesn't mean I get enough or too much every time.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:12 PM

I don't know either because I am in the same boat as you, can't tell you how many times I have had to go back to purchase more material and low and behold - IT'S GONE.
I guess I should buy more than what I think I need but sometimes I think I already did - up a creek on this one.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:13 PM

I never buy enough fabric and have to go back and try to find the same one. Whats an easy way to figure out how much you need for your quilt?
I found in my book "Complete Guide to Quilting" by Better Homes and Gardens a few charts that list the amount of fabric needed for x amount of squares, rectangles etc. This book has helped me a great deal with many problems I stumble across as a new quilter.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:24 PM

I an another one who picks that picks my projest form the fabrics I have. I did not buy most of my fabrics for quilts. I have made all sorts of items to sell as a vendor. Because of the economy have have cut back on my shows and I am quilting again and having tons of fun.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:16 PM

I never have a project in mind, when I'm buying fabric so I've been getting 2 yards at a time. Now that I'm getting into the full size quilts I think I need to buys 3-4 yards at a time. Anything left over I figure I could make some baby quilts
Old 01-30-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
You mean they make patterns with real directions and correct fabric amounts ???
What a thought LOL could also explain this stash and why one day will be nothin but scrappies for me :) that's OK like those too.
Sorry didn't anwser your Q, or maybe the anwser is 2-4 yds. of what ever tickles my fancy. OK that could explain the stash also... so does this make me a stasher or a Quilter? Hummm :)
Ya, that's my problem too. I just buy alot of what I like and I usually have alot left over. :) I never run out and never have to use patterns. It's a win-win for me.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:48 AM

I usually take what the pattern suggests and add a half to whole yard to it. Then I have left overs to do scrapy with and don't run short on my projects.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:18 AM

22 yards of each will do nicely!!! Yup...twenty-two...never have to worry about running out!!! LOL

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: