Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How much time each day do you spend quilting (all at once)

I find it varies on the day, sometimes I go into my sewing room and start doing something "small" and look out at the clock and find that 2 or 3 hours have passed

I have a few projects in different stages, and then I like to take a little playtime to work on new ideas. I'm still working, so I may spend a few hours an evening or two a week quilting - but then my weekends can become sewing marathons. If I get in what my husband calls "driven mode", I might work on one project all day long - don't take time to eat, stay up too late. I've been quilting for about a year and a half, and spend a ridiculous amount of time reading, researching and planning new projects. Just today I started thinking about flying geese quilts, and before I even took my coat off when I got home from work I was dragging out fabric to make some samples - now it's 10 o'clock and I have to make myself stop and start thinking about going to bed. I'm like this about every hobby I've ever had

If it works for you, do it! I can't work on someone else's schedule. That's why I've never finished a BOM or quilt along quilt, or a mystery. Just not my style to sit and wait for the next step. I lose interest, mojo, and get just down right frustrated at the waiting. I sew everyday, about an hour at a time sitting. Any longer than that and my body starts telling me it's time to move or else. Currently I've 2 quilts on the design wall, one at the sewing machine, one on the cutting table, one on the frame and hand work in the living room. Your friends mother has a whole set of issues of her own...one being she's a control freak, and two she can't live in the moment. Now who's got issues you or her? Did you tell her how to live her life or make her quilts. I'd love to be able to stay on one project, when I first started quilting I did. Now that I'm older my body just can't take stay in one position for long periods of time. Heck I don't even sleep for longer than 2 hours at a time. Yep up and down all night, sleep a couple hours, up for a couple....every night.

Quote Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
    I like to work on several different projects...usually have 4 or 5 " active" ones going at a time. (There are several also in time out...or ripening). I hand quilt in the evening while DH watches the tube,piece and quilt several hours a day. Every now and then,I just sit down and finish something so I can make room for more. I'm retired now and have been advised to " do what makes me happy".
    I love that phrase 'in time out' I have a few uncooperative projects of my own.

Aww, Bless her heart.

I have 3 baby quilts on long arm waiting their turn, 2 BOM's cut and in line at my regular machine and a stack of onesies ready to be hooped for embroidery machine, and a hand project in each car in case I forget my "something to do bag" while waiting on anything. Project ADHD, maybe but it's how I work, and I work well like this. Everyone is an individual and has their own way of groovin thru their day and that is how it should be or it would be a boring, boring place to be. Just enjoy how you work and smile and wave at the rest of the world :-)

T

Sometimes you (I) have to step away from a project for various reasons...bored with it, working on a design dilemma, challenging technique, another project captures my attention, and just because! I would bet that mother eats her food one item at a time. I work my way all over the plate in no particular order! Good grief.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Yesterday I sat for a couple of hours joining 2 patchs to make up some 4 patchs. Then sorted some scraps that needed to be cut into squares. Then read for a while. Had lunch. Sorted out some UFO'S. Took a nap. Some days I spend more time, some days don't even go in the sewing room. I bet your friend's mother has a boring life.

I am usually trying to complete a quilt for one of my grandchildren's wedding or the birth of a great-grand, so I tend to HAVE to work on one at time. Just to meet the deadline.
    Molly O

I am at my machine from say 8 or 8:30 until about noon, take a break to eat then its an hour or so more sewing and that's it. I am pooped out. I then go take a nap and then watch some tv. go to the sewing table to fix something for tomorrow.. cutting is not done on sewing days I hate it by then! so I might cut a bit .. and start dinner which means washing any dishes which means.. I guess I just GO. I love sewing. I love cooking. I need to nap. I do all three with zero guilt what so ever. It works perfectly for me
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Quote Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
    I have several projects going at once.....like cutting out one project, putting together another project on the wallboard, piecing and sewing, sandwiching, sewing on binding, hand-quilting. I know that sounds like a lot, but I find I get bored easily working on one thing for long lengths of time (probably ADHA that was never diagnosed! LOL) I have a friend's mother who quilts and tells me that is not the way to do things. She says I should never start something until I have finished the first thing. So, with all that being said how many hours a day do you spend in one sitting just doing 1 thing?
    She has her way, you have yours. She is not in charge of you - tell her so in a nice way!
    I always have lots of irons in the fire. Keeps things fresh.
    Judi in Ohio

I can't stand UFO's, and try to finish something before starting something else, and can't understand how anyone else can stand the chaos caused by multiple UFO's, but that's me and I realize we're all different. When thinking about you crazy ufo-collecting people (LOL , I console myself with the fact that I don't have to live in your sewing room, and I'm so very thankful that you don't live in mine! Signed, your OCD quilting friend!
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

For me I only work on one at a time but its your enjoyment so do what makes you happy. That's what its all about. I enjoy it so much I can sometimes spend hours in my sewing room.

Power Poster
    Whatever works for both of you.

Some people can t stand to have an unfinished pdoject around.

I've never wanted to listen to anyone telling me how I should quilt! I love having several projects going at the same time! With that said, I do finish my projects when they need to be finished! Since I've retired, time is not as much as an issue as when I worked. Just work on what you want, when you want to! that's my motto!

If it wasn't for the fact that I will be older, I wish that retirement would hurry up and get here. I'm envious of those of you who can plan their days however they want.

Even when I THINK I am doing one thing at a time, I find that I am up out of the chair looking at fabric, and playing with it. I sometimes wonder about my next project, (or the one after that), while I am cutting or sewing the current one. Funny how that works, but it gets the job done, even if it is a bit at a time.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I was telling my mom about this thread last night. She said, "I don't know HOW you can keep up with so many things going on at once! I have to work on just one thing at a time. How do you not sew two projects together that are separate?!"

I said, "How do you know I've never done that?"

There was dead silence. I couldn't stop laughing. LOL

But I never HAVE done that, at least not that I can remember. Everyone is different, but I'm really glad to find out that I'm not the only person who has multiple projects going on at the same time.

There are times when I'm only actively working on one project at a time, usually one with some sort of deadline. However I always have several other projects in various stages of completion waiting in the wings.

Right now I have 4 projects going. I need a change to keep me from burning out on a project and could possibly need to add another project if a gift is needed before the ones I'm currently working on is finished which happens often. I'm not able to set at my machine for long periods of time so may only get 3 or 4 hours of actual sewing time a day, but will get other things in my studio done i.e.working with EQ7, deciding on a pattern and fabrics and making list for gifts. Will also work on embroider work.

I sew about an hour a day. I'm retired and feel guilty for not sewing more. I'm my own quilt police.
    Save the Earth!

Itís the only planet with Chocolate.

LOL! I hope you don't take her seriously!!! Don't compare yourself to anyone else. As quilters we have our own wisdom and experience. Sometimes I am lucky to have one hour a week. I spend way more time on the QB because I watch my DGD on the main floor during the week and my sewing area is downstairs. I treasure each minute I get and any progress is... progress. {{{HUGS}}}
    I am too POSITIVE to be doubtful, too OPTIMISTIC to be fearful and way to DETERMINED to be defeated.

Blog Entries
    not enough... Unfortunately, I own my own business and do not get to spend as much time as I'd like... I usually have 2 or 3 projects I can work on depending on how much time I can sit down or the mood I'm in. (I also have ADD or ADHD, whatever they call it).

I always have a quilt to work on but try not to have more than 2 at a time in various stages. I then have a runner, placemats or some smaller projects to keep me occupied in my very limited spare time.

I have my own theory about this.... Think about things happening in your life... When I need to "not think" about things in my life because they are all encompassing, I start a new quilt because I have to consider on the size and cutting the right material etc.. - When I need to think about a problem or issue, I quilt (hand or machine) because you can do this without much "thinking" - and so on.... Okay I might be weird but I believe I am not alone. Think about it and I believe you will see a pattern to this. This is why we continue to quilt, it helps us manage our lives. That is my humble opinion.

Blog Entries
    In the winter , when I'm on a role I can spend 8 to 10 hours focused. Other days I drift from project to project. In the summer whoever, I start my day gardening and usually move to my quilting around noon and work till cocktail time on my chaise lounge. I am much more productive in the winter.
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
    I have several projects going at once.....like cutting out one project, putting together another project on the wallboard, piecing and sewing, sandwiching, sewing on binding, hand-quilting. I know that sounds like a lot, but I find I get bored easily working on one thing for long lengths of time (probably ADHA that was never diagnosed! LOL) I have a friend's mother who quilts and tells me that is not the way to do things. She says I should never start something until I have finished the first thing. So, with all that being said how many hours a day do you spend in one sitting just doing 1 thing?
    I usually keep at least 2 or 3 projects going at the same time, if I get tired or aggravated at one I go to the next one.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast