Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much would you charge for an applique quilt like this in queen size? >

How much would you charge for an applique quilt like this in queen size?

How much would you charge for an applique quilt like this in queen size?

Old 03-10-2011, 05:10 PM

WOW - What a gorgeous quilt
Old 03-10-2011, 05:38 PM

I would start with the high-end suggestions you've received, Eddie. And don't forget to charge for the pillow shams too. Remember, you can always come down in price, but you can't go back up when you find she was going to give you a check for $2000!

If it's still available, see my posting of 8/28/10 of a Lone Star I bartered for a landscape plan; I think I really got burned. (But still wish I'd bought the extra border fabric for the area under the pillows.)

You're an artist ..... a designer ..... and you do beautiful work. Don't sell yourself short!
Old 03-10-2011, 05:50 PM

I would charge 1,200-1,400. you should times everything by 4 cost of material , time you must consider everything when pricing It is beautiful. Don't cheat yourself be realistic you know the cost of everything.
Originally Posted by Eddie
I have a customer that I made 3 quilts for them to give as Christmas gifts back in December. Two of them were simple patterned lap size quilts, and the other was a full size rag quilt. She wants me to make them one for their guest room now that will be queen size and like the pics shown below. The quilt shown below is a lap size one that I did and she wants basically one exactly like it, except in queen size (92 x 98) . The leaves are all fused on and machine appliqued using a blanket stitch, and it's all done in batiks. I quilted it on my longarm as the quilting shown. I don't believe money would be an object, but I really have no idea how much to charge for something like this - it is labor intensive because of all the appliqued leaves, but I don't really know what would be reasonable and fair to charge for something like this.

What do you think?

Edit to add: She also wants two matching queen pillow shams made to go with it, same design on them as well.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
By my calculations, the fabrics will be about $210. I figure it will take about 30 minutes per leaf, and there will be about 80 leaves on the quilt, and about say 10 on each pillow, so about 100 leaves - so that's 50 hours. Plus the time to make the top itself and then about 30 hours of quilting. So if we say 80 hours, the price that I was thinking of asking comes out to only about $3.84 per hour in labor - I just don't want to sell myself short.
If you don't mind my asking, what did you charge her for the original 3 pieces you made ?
Old 03-11-2011, 05:44 AM

I think that estimate is a little high. I estimate cost by taking the cost of material, say $50.00, double that+$100, then add an estimate of hours and multiply that by minimum wage, add to the $200 and then round it off to the next $100 point for a quilt. you have as your profit $150.00. Sure and its a lot of work, but I have found that if you charge too much, even for a masterpiece you are charging to much.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:49 AM

What kind of fabric do you use, and how many yards and what kind of batting. If you pay that much for materials, $1000 is a good price, but where in the world could you buy fabric at that price per yard.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:00 AM

I don't believe money would be an object. (Quote)

First it is a beautful quilt.

Material cost plus four times I don't think would be out of line. If the customer wants it they would pay that. If they don't it seems to me that you have enough to do.

Working a full time job plus this quilting business is a load. I work full time and quilt but can not match your production.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:20 PM

don't know what you should charge but it's a beautiful quilt
Old 03-11-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by ritamaew
cost of materials times 4.

just my thoughts

Rita

at leasat $1200
Well I have to agree with this formula. That quilt is fabulous and a real treasure.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by suezquilts
$500-$600
In our area, hand made quilts go for around $500 queen size.

I love the quilt. It is so hard for me to market and sell quilts here, especailly now.

You do wonderful work. I admire the details you put into the leaves. Keep up the good work.
Sure if you want to gift it. There's so much intensive, time-consuming work in it.