Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How my DH got me to stop buying fabric...without even trying >

How my DH got me to stop buying fabric...without even trying

How my DH got me to stop buying fabric...without even trying

Old 01-20-2011, 05:29 PM

I'm the same way when I get a gift certificate from my DH. I want to get the most for my money and sometimes end up passing up a great deal because there may be a better one next week.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by King's Daughter
My wonderful husband surprised me with a gift certificate to Connecting Threads. This was on Christmas...
He's asked me several times if I've spent it yet, and is shocked that I haven't. I have filled up a shopping cart several times with clearance fabric, but just can't commit...I'm frozen with indecision. Do I spend it on clearance fabric, or do I wait and get something I really, really want (like the batiks, but only if they go on sale)?? He thinks it's pretty funny, and says he would have done this a long time ago if he knew it would make me quit buying fabric!
I like that idea! Just don't let our husbands read it. I would buy something that I would really like - even if it is not on sale.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-20-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I do the same thing. I think it's because it's a gift I want to make it be for something really special. I agonized over this years, $200 at Threads of Time. Should I buy tools and have them for years to come? Fabric for quilts that will last for years? I drove myself crazy for an entire week then spent all of it and $150 more in one fell swoop by purchasing a "Time of Your Life" pass for free retreats all 2011. Hopefully he'll get me the same thing next year and they'll offer it again.
Dear Rapture,
I love the quilt in your avitar. It is lovely. :)
Old 01-20-2011, 05:44 PM

I totally understand. My 4 sons asked what I wanted for Christmas and I told all of them I wanted Joann's gift cards. So, of course, I received 4 of them. I have spend a little on one, but just cannot decide what else I want to get. I think I just like the feeling that I can go shop and not have to spend any of my money, so I am holding onto them. LOL, told them that is what I want every year until further notice.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by King's Daughter
My wonderful husband surprised me with a gift certificate to Connecting Threads. This was on Christmas...
He's asked me several times if I've spent it yet, and is shocked that I haven't. I have filled up a shopping cart several times with clearance fabric, but just can't commit...I'm frozen with indecision. Do I spend it on clearance fabric, or do I wait and get something I really, really want (like the batiks, but only if they go on sale)?? He thinks it's pretty funny, and says he would have done this a long time ago if he knew it would make me quit buying fabric!
I'm the same way when I have a gift certificate to anywhere. It's like I want my purchase to be really special. I've been holding a gift certificate since Mother's Day for "just the right item."
Old 01-20-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK
I don't know why, but I understand this, completely ;-)
Me too! If it's not money from our pocket, we're more careful? Shrug.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:52 PM

To funny. I can't control myself when I have fabric money.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:06 PM

My husband is the king of gift cards, I get one from my fav LQS, bookstore and yarn shop each gift buying occasion. But I like to buy something I wouldn't buy if I was using 'real money', so I say go for the extravagant stuff. When I am writing a check, I buy the sale stuff, the card is for stuff you wouldn't buy if you had to hand over cash.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:29 PM

I have $150.00 cash in my lingerie drawer that my son gave me on Christmas Eve. I can't seem to make myself plan a trip to the store. I even seem to participate in avoidance behaviors. Like, "It's too cold to get out." or, "It's raining. I'll wait til tomorrow." or, "Today, I'd better clean out my fabric closet. I'll shop for more tomorrow." Are we born that way? We all seem to do it or is it a function of creative minds? I prefer to believe that's it. Maybe if I save the money til next Christmas, I'll have $300.00 to angst over. Love this forum!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 PM

Spend it on something you want and then make something both you and DH will enjoy...