Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How my DH got me to stop buying fabric...without even trying >

How my DH got me to stop buying fabric...without even trying

How my DH got me to stop buying fabric...without even trying

Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 PM

Are you sure he bought your the gift card for YOUR pleasure or is he hinting for a special quilt and is providing the means to get it :D
Old 01-20-2011, 08:23 PM

Funny.....I still the GC from our LQS too! Never to fear, I won't have it forever!! :!:
Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I do the same thing. I think it's because it's a gift I want to make it be for something really special. I agonized over this years, $200 at Threads of Time. Should I buy tools and have them for years to come? Fabric for quilts that will last for years? I drove myself crazy for an entire week then spent all of it and $150 more in one fell swoop by purchasing a "Time of Your Life" pass for free retreats all 2011. Hopefully he'll get me the same thing next year and they'll offer it again.
I guess this is just something inherent in our natures. I remember when I was just a little girl, about 5, during the Great Depression, and my uncle came to visit and gave me and each of my cousins a nickel. (During the Depression, yet! ..... An unheard of luxury!) We all dashed across the street to the confectionary/drug store. All my cousins picked a favorite piece of candy, surrendered their nickels, and were out the door.

I was still at the candy counter, trying to decide. (Should I spend it on candy which will be gone in a few minutes, or get something more lasting?) I finally left with a tiny blue spiral-bound notebook. The notebook lasted for years. The memory has lasted a lifetime.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by King's Daughter
My wonderful husband surprised me with a gift certificate to Connecting Threads. This was on Christmas...
He's asked me several times if I've spent it yet, and is shocked that I haven't. I have filled up a shopping cart several times with clearance fabric, but just can't commit...I'm frozen with indecision. Do I spend it on clearance fabric, or do I wait and get something I really, really want (like the batiks, but only if they go on sale)?? He thinks it's pretty funny, and says he would have done this a long time ago if he knew it would make me quit buying fabric!

How funny...I don't have a gift certificate, just a very limited income. Everytime there's a sale I just drool over them but never buy. I fill carts with my wish list and when I see the total delete the entire cart. This way I sort of feel like I went shopping except my check book still has money in it.

This is my form of creative window shopping...some day I'll actually buy the things I just dream over today.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:39 PM

I could spend it on the 40% off books at Connecting Threads without batting an eye.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:21 PM

I would wait to buy something really special. Then every time you see or use that item, you would be reminded of him kindness. Or maybe split it up, if there is enough, between something special and some clearance fabric.

My M&FIL gave me a large gift cert from my LQS for my birthday. I am going to use it to buy the fabric for a pieced king-size duvet cover - as soon as I can make up my mind about what I want to do!!! I want to be able to think of them whenever I see it, which will, of course, be everyday since it's for our bed.

They will also see it when they some to visit because they often use the master bathroom off our bedroom when they are here (long story, too boring to post).
Old 01-20-2011, 11:42 PM
QM
Power Poster

Too funny.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:40 AM

Same with me. I have a gift card from my daughter to Joann's and I freeze up also. However, I do think that maybe if I don't just buy, buy buy I could save the card for a really great sale and also save $$.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:50 PM

I don't seem to ever have that problem. My DH knows that I will buy fabric every chance I get!!! Gift card or not!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:51 AM

I too am on a limited income so when a GC comes my way I always buy a tool or a book. Last year I bought new rotary cutters, a 60mm & 45mm both of which close as I put them down, and spare blades. They have made such a difference to me. My old cheapie one hurt my hand after a few cuts. And this year my DH bought me the Accuquilt GO Baby and a couple of dies so I know if I get any more GCs it will be to build up a collection of dies.