Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Often Do You Upgrade Your Sewing Machine? >

How Often Do You Upgrade Your Sewing Machine?

How Often Do You Upgrade Your Sewing Machine?

Old 04-02-2014, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by trueimage View Post
I've been looking at this machine too. (Brother 420) Are you happy with it? I'm planning on taking the plunge next month. *crosses fingers*
Yes, I love love love it! It has everything I want, and THEN some. The needle threader is particularly AWESOME! With other machines, I can usually thread the needle myself before I figure out how to use the fiddly needle threader. With the Brother 420, you just lead the thread through the guides (takes a split second), and press the button. BAM! The thread is shot right through the needle.

It comes with a walking foot and a quilting foot (and others). It didn't come with an extension table, but I bought it separately. My previous machine was a Brother SQ-9050, and the feet and bobbins are interchangeable, so that's a huge plus for me.

I love the thread cutter, too. Press the button, and voila'!

I was originally looking at a fancy Janome machine (can't remember the model # offhand), but it was almost $1,200. It had 2 more inches of throat space, but all the other features were pretty much the same as the Brother PC-420. I have a Juki TL98Q that I quilt with, so for piecing, I don't really need the 9" of throat space that the Janome had, so buying the Brother at 1/3 the price of the Janome was a much much better deal for me.

I didn't know they'd been discontinued. Wow. It makes me want to buy another before they're gone! (I got mine off Amazon, too. With the extension table, it was $425-ish, with free 2-Day Prime shipping.)
Old 04-02-2014, 05:03 AM

I got my first machine- a used Kenmore circa 1967- in 1979. I "upgraded" to a Pfaff 2044 in 2003. I bought a Janome 1600P in 2008 for the larger throat space. I still have & use all 3 of them.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

I have always found that used car and sewing machine salesmen are the SAME breed. When I was shopping for my Bernina, I turned the table on them by getting a written purchase estimate and I asked WHO could BEAT THIS PRICE!! I put over 100,000 miles on most of my cars, only shopping for a new car when necessary and it is the same way with my Bernina. My DSM are both over a decade old but the service tech doesn't care, he is happy to service them. Don't let anybody push you into buying a new machine especially if you love your DSM !!!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:12 AM

I started sewing in earnest around 2002, and bought a used Brother PC8500 which I love. But then I started having trouble with it and bought a 2500D in 2008 (?). I decided not to sew anymore in 2012 and sold that machine. Realized I was stupid for doing that and bought the Janome 8900 last year. This year I decided I want the embroidery again and bought a DreamCreator VM5100.

I don't think I'll be buying another sewing machine for a while, but a long arm ... well, that's a different story ....
Old 04-02-2014, 05:20 AM

I'm always TEMPTED to upgrade but so far ever since I got my Janome 6600 I've been really happy with it and don't intend to replace it. I did upgrade my free-arm/portable machine recently; I gave away the one I had and replaced it with something much nicer. And I'm seriously considering buying a sit-down longarm machine in the next year or so but I don't consider that an upgrade, more of an addition to the "fleet".

I think I am at a point where point the machines I have are really good and do everything I need, and unless my needs change or something breaks I don't think I will upgrade or replace my current machines for years to come.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:43 AM

I purchased my Bernina 1020 in 1992 and its still just fine. My husband keeps on saying I need an update but really, why? I use my machine every day and love it. I have no need for an updated one, I mostly only straight stitch anyway. Besides, mine is one of the last ones made with metal. When I get it cleaned they always tell me to never get rid of it, even if I buy a new one. The new ones are all plastic and break. Everything is made disposable these days.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:29 AM
sap

I have a 1949 singer strait stitch with reverse. It does what I want it to do, it still isn't time to up grade.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:43 AM

I had the same used Bernina for over 20 years before I started quilting - although I went through long periods of no sewing at all. Once the quilting bug hit, however, I decided I "needed" something new. I love my new computerized machine and all of its tricks. I found a great Horn cabinet on Craigslist, got the new machine set in there just right and have taken over a bedroom for my sewing space. This setup is perfect for now, but I can see myself taking over a larger family room in the future and who knows what I'll end up with when I have all that space. I'll be retiring in a few years, so feel like I should spend it while I've got it - but am cautious due to my fickle nature when it comes to hobbies. I'll never sell that Bernina though.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:18 AM

I have a Bernina 1530 bought 1997 and a new Bernina 830 in 2010. Since I am 65 it will probably be my last machine!!! I use the 1530 for my travel machine and the 830 stays @ home!!!

Last edited by grammysharon; 04-02-2014 at 08:19 AM. Reason: add text
Old 04-02-2014, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I bought a new Bernina in 2007, soon after I started quilting. I hope it lasts as long as I do, because I'm quite happy with it and see no need to buy another. Before that I only owned 3 machines - one used one that my mother gave me when I got married (basically the same as her machine that I learned to sew on), a Bernina that my husband bought for me and that I never bonded with, and a cheap Singer that I replaced it with (and that I still have, for taking to classes). Of course there are lots of other sewing machines in the house, but except for the longarm they are all vintage.