Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Often Do You Upgrade Your Sewing Machine? >

How Often Do You Upgrade Your Sewing Machine?

How Often Do You Upgrade Your Sewing Machine?

Old 04-02-2014, 09:02 AM

My husband bought me my Kenmore for a wedding gift back in 1973 and it's the one that's currently sitting on my dining table ready to sew a quilt for a newborn puppy. First time I had it serviced was about 6 years ago and then again just last month for a tension adjustment. My local sewing machine repair shop guy sells really expensive Janome's but he's never even told me to take a look at them while he's writing up the drop-off slip. Six years ago I bought a later-model used Janome for $60 at an estate sale when the Kenmore was in for servicing. Although I'd love a new machine I can't justify the cost, darn it.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Can't say I've upgraded as far as any new machine. Had a White rotary and a older Singer (92) that were both () sent to the curb by mistake? Then got a 2004 Singer and couple months back got a Singer 401 Slant-O-Matic. I just grade. I keep my manuals handy so I can try to trouble shoot myself. If all else fails I have DH look at it. It usually stops there. Thank You, Jesus!
Old 04-02-2014, 09:24 AM

let's see" my husband bought me a Singer when we were stationed in Spain, 1976. Bought me a Singer Futura to replace that one in 1979 ( i hated it, nothing like my mother's Singer), I bought myself the Bernina 830 in 1981, sewed for 7 kids, 4 weddings and a household on that one, with 3 cleaning and tunings between 1981 and 2011. Still own it, it did manage to get some pieces broken taken it as carry on luggage in its' original red plastic case ( no padding). Bought my daughter a 1980's Viking with ALL the Camms for 10 dollars at an estate sale in 1998. Broke down and bought myself the Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 when i was working in Germany in 2009. Other than the original Futura, which i traded in on the Bernina. I still have my machines. And i added a vintage Pfaff straight stitch i found at a thrift shop and was gifted a Featherweight.
Upgrading is relative. i love the vintage machines: they are heavy work horses that will sew through anything. i travel with the Featherweight in a padding carry on-bag and my husband bought me a Pelican case for traveling with the PFaff. Water proof, shock proof and enough foam to customize the padding for my specific machine. No longer a carry on but a safe checked baggage item.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:45 AM

I'm one who had held onto machines. I got a Bernina 820 a few years ago. Basically got it because my DH said if you want a new machine, get it before he retired. So I did. And he's still working. So I've been thinking about a long arm and maybe an embroidery machine. I'm just not sure where I'd put the extra ones.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

I would have shocked him right back! I would have told him very sweetly I was thinking about a brand new (insert name of machine he doesn't sell) and his opinion of my old machine just made up my mind to take the plunge. I would thank him for making up my mind, I would keep thanking him over and over as I left out the door. Believe me he would have gotten the fact that I though he was a jerk.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:37 AM

My first machine was a 1979 Montgomery Wards model. I used it up until about 3 years ago, when I bought an inexpensive Brother. The Brother is fine for garment sewing, but when I started trying to quilt on it, the small throat space made it nearly impossible (plus, it was so lightweight, I found myself pushing it across the table as I quilted!), so I bought my lovely Vivian, Juki 2010Q, with whom I have fallen in love. I hope she lasts forever!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:51 AM

My 1958 Kenmore is still my go to machine. It is mounted in a cabinet, has cams for the decorative stitches and I would not let it go for any amount of money you can name. I have a wonderful Singer in a wonderful cabinet. It is circa 1940 and makes the prettiest stitch you have ever seen. It only sews forward and backward. My Janome 4600 has a bunch of decorative stitches and is computerized. I love it, also and use it more than either of the others. Why would I upgrade when what I have works? If something were to happen to the Janome, which goes with me to classes and all day sews, I would buy another Janome, but I think I will probably give out before the machine does. froggyintexas
Old 04-02-2014, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
Ok, you all are making me feel guilty. I just upgraded from Bernina 640 to an 880 with a Koala table and I love it. I wanted to be able to use the bigger hoop sizes for embroidery. At my age this machine should last me the rest of my life. Unless they come out with one that does the grocery shopping, cooking and dishes.
There are times I wish we had a "like" button. I was looking for one when I read this!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:43 AM

The one I use everyday is a New Home my aunt purchased new, but only used 3 or 4 times. I purchased it for $50 at an estate yard sale my cousin had after her passing. My mother said she remembered when my aunt bought it but did not think she used it much. I love it and will probably be using it for years to come. They will probably have to pry it from my cold stiff hands to sell it at my estate yard sale.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:46 AM

It is refreshing to see so many postings of people who are not always getting the latest and greatest machines. When I moved away from home my mother gave me her Kenmore straight stitch sewing machine that she had purchased in the 1950's to replace the treadle sewing machine that she used. That is the machine I used to make my wedding dress and countless other things until 1977 when my husband surprised me with a top of the line Viking. It was a real stretch financially for a young family and I still am so grateful for his generosity and the sacrifice it took him to save for that machine for me. I am still using that machine and it is my primary machine. I have since inherited his grandmother's Featherweight from 1938 which I also use. I see no need to change either for a new model. I'd probably die of sticker shock on the new machines and not get a chance to enjoy them!