Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Often Do You Upgrade Your Sewing Machine? >

How Often Do You Upgrade Your Sewing Machine?

How Often Do You Upgrade Your Sewing Machine?

Old 04-05-2014, 06:16 PM

I've had my Viking since the early 80s. It too is no longer made. I would not trade it for a farm in Texas.
It sews like the day I bought it. Just love it Brenda in Wadesville
Old 04-05-2014, 06:23 PM

I have only had 3 machines in my lifetime. My first was bought when I was in high school (and working) so that was around '62. Then I bought a Viking sometime in around 1978 and my second Viking (first one had a broken unfixable part) around 1994..and still using it. Works for me.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:05 PM

Began with a singer that I bought used from the High School when they traded it in and used that through sewing my childrens clothes and mending. I used it for the first few quilts I made then gave it to my daughters and up-graded to a Euro Pro that I still love that was in the 90's sometime. I still use it some times but I won a Bernina at our Quilt Walk Festival about 4 years ago and I mostly use that now. I have had good luck with machines and have loved them all.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:07 PM

How often do I upgrade my sewing machine? NEVER. Mine is 12 year old Bernina and I've heard it is one of the not so great models, but it has been a work horse for me, I love it and I long as I can get it tweeked and serviced, I hope to have it forever. It's been at my new mechanics for almost a week now, so I'm pretty much in withdrawal until I can get it back in better than new condition. It just takes so long......
Old 04-05-2014, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post
Exactly. One could also consider it an "upgrade" if someone decided they needed a feature their current machine doesn't support - say, embroidery. I don't consider that an "upgrade" myself.

And my ego is just fine, regardless of the machine I have sitting in my cabinet. Not sure why someone decided that a new machine equals a big ego but it was a rude and unnecessary comment.
I have to admit that I didn't think that it was rude--just an observation. Some people seem that way about a car--their self-worth is intrinsically tied to their car--how new/how expensive, etc.

That person just commented that hers wasn't tied to her machine. I didn't take it wrong--but rather, how, I think, she meant it.

Mine isn't tied to my sewing machine either, but when I got my Horizon, it did change my level of "fun" of sewing. I could now do so many things--it just felt like a "solid machine" and not a "hobby machine".

[My husband can do mechanic work with cheap Chinese tools purchased at Big Lots, but people who are mechanics by trade tend to prefer name brands like Snap-On and Mac. There is a reason.]

It was when I bought my Horizon that I joined this board and my output/creativity level expanded as I began having contact with other people who sewed from all over the world.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:53 AM

I have an old 1960s singer that only goes straight and zig-zag and it works great for me. I do think it is necessary for people to know how they're going to use their machine so that they don't over-buy. I'll be honest - the new computerized ones are way too expensive for what I do. Although, I do wish i had a blanket stitch sometimes.