Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Often Do You Upgrade Your Sewing Machine? >

How Often Do You Upgrade Your Sewing Machine?

How Often Do You Upgrade Your Sewing Machine?

Old 04-03-2014, 09:07 AM

I have a harmony 8080 that I bought back in 2002 and its a little workhorse - just keeps going. I took it in to get serviced because it was pulling to one side when I stitched. All fixed up and shiny now, with no more issues. The only complaint I have is that I wish it had a bigger throat size but I bought it before I took up quilting. I also have two machines that look like they are from the 80s that I picked up for $20 each at a garage sale and I used to loan out to people who want to borrow my sewing machine. Even if I had the money I probably wouldn't upgrade - there is no reason to!

Thanks for all the stories everyone, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:49 AM

When I read your question, my first thought was, "Well, let's see... Momma and Daddy gave me my Bernina 830 Record (the mechanical 830) in 1975 as a graduation gift. My DH gave me my Bernina 750QE last year when I turned 60.. So, that means I upgrade every 38 years...whether I need to or not!"

Then I read Amandasgramma... she said almost exactly the same thing!! ha ha...
I have sewing friends who purchase new machines MUCH more frequently... but I don't like that learning curve! Change is SUCH hard work!! hahahaha!!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:58 AM

I also have older machines like many of you. My 1st new machine was a Viking in 1973, kept until I started quilting. 23Yrs! I the got a Janome 4000 which I still have & take to classes (works just as goo as when new). Then I saw the Janome 6600 & was hooked ( the larger harp did it for me) I bought it about a year before the 1st Horizon came out. I wouldn't trade it for anything else!! Both these machines are used for different things & are all I'll ever need.

Although I was bit by the bug--and now have 5 treadles, 1 hand crank, 4 Featherweights, & a few Clones from the fifties. They're for eye candy & fun to use as a change.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:29 AM

I do not upgrade anymore unless one were to be broke so bad it can not be fixed.All 3 of my machines and my serger are all about 8 years old and work just fine.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:37 AM

there is a bit of apples and oranges going on here. A older mechanical machine, well kept up, with parts replaced as needed could last two lifetimes.

But when the subject is newer computer machines...software gets outdated and then eventually is no long supported by manufacturers.
I'd still have my Memorycraft 9000 if motherboards were available. But they aren't. I expect this is what the salespeople are thinking about when they say old.

I've had six computers since I bought my first one in 1996. Are those early ones still supported, even with the very best of care? No.

So my response to the first posters question about updating, is only when I have to (once, from the 9000 to the 7700).
Old 04-03-2014, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
there is a bit of apples and oranges going on here. A older mechanical machine, well kept up, with parts replaced as needed could last two lifetimes.

But when the subject is newer computer machines...software gets outdated and then eventually is no long supported by manufacturers.
I'd still have my Memorycraft 9000 if motherboards were available. But they aren't. I expect this is what the salespeople are thinking about when they say old.

I've had six computers since I bought my first one in 1996. Are those early ones still supported, even with the very best of care? No.
Exactly. One could also consider it an "upgrade" if someone decided they needed a feature their current machine doesn't support - say, embroidery. I don't consider that an "upgrade" myself.

And my ego is just fine, regardless of the machine I have sitting in my cabinet. Not sure why someone decided that a new machine equals a big ego but it was a rude and unnecessary comment.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:01 PM

My first machine of my own was a frister&rossman in 1975, I then upgraded to a janome mc4000, in 1993, I bought a cheap basic,last year when janome played up and I had it serviced and I couldn't cope without a machine. I would like a new bells and whistles with a bigger throat, which I hope to get later this year, so roughly every 20 years. I am on my second serger which is roughly 20 years old and will only get replaced if it dies, my first one was about 10 years old when I replaced it.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:08 PM

I don't replace my machines--I still have my original Elna (bought new and paid for $15 a month for however long), but have no tellings how many machines scattered all over because I love sewing machines and cannot turn one down. I am lucky enough to have a husband who lets me buy one if we have the spending money at the time, otherwise, he'll say no, let's wait awhile. I love FWs, the price has gone up every time we find another one, I have a couple of 201s, and love them. The only one that I did relent and sell was an older Pfaff that I simply could not figure out how to use. I recently bought a Janome (can't remember the name of it, but I do like it and use it for retreats and the like) and a Simplicity that I had bought at GW for a good price that had no power source. Jenny at Sew Classic got me fixed up with it, and I'll probably give it to a grandkid if one ever shows an interest in sewing. Today, I am going nuts with my computer--I can't get my mouse to work. What am I going to do?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:30 PM

Keep your old machine. I took my Viking in for repair and I bought it in 2006 and was told that the electronic boards go out just like computers so keep your old machine. I have a Kenmore that I bought in 1976 and it runs like a charm. It just doesn't do those fancy stitches.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:29 PM

i never said a big ego. i said "my" ego is not invested in things. and the thought grew out of the comparison of sewing machine dealers to car dealers. hard pressed to argue people aren't ego-inveted in their things, and that sales people don't capitalize on that equation.

i'm sorry you were offended skratchie.

aileen