Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How old is the oldest piece of fabric in your stash? >

How old is the oldest piece of fabric in your stash?

How old is the oldest piece of fabric in your stash?

Old 05-28-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Beachbound
Originally Posted by dizzy
As I was pulling out a piece of leftover fabric that was about 10 years old, I got to wondering how old y'all have fabric? My oldest pieces are from the 80's. I have a length of orange knit was was going to be a Halloween pumpkin but never made it, a piece of yellow flannel that would have been a nightie & a nice piece of stretch terry from when we wore those strapless rompers (yikes!!!! good thing I was skinny minnie back then! :-P ) ah the 80's gotta love them! So, what's your oldest????
some of the oldest i've had in my stash I know was over 40yrs
old cause K-mart stopped selling materialback before I graduated high school>An I have some that could be older that i have picked up at thrift stores that I know could be older than that I have a pink that has the little white dots on it an I know that it's most likely older than the piece from K-mart.I rember
having a dress when I was little made of some like the pink.
I don't remember KMart ever selling fabric but I do remember dotted swiss! Is that your pink with dots?
yes an I think I have some baby blue to
Old 05-28-2010, 07:57 PM

I think the oldest I have is about 6-7 years. I have gotten rid of or used the older stuff.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:41 PM

My oldest fabric is a brown pinstriped wool that was the three piece suit my husband wore when we got married 30 years ago. I've been collecting different shades of brown wools to make a winter coverlet.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Banned

I have no Idea, as mine are all donated. God bless. Penny
Old 06-10-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by ctsgjs
I know I have fabric in my stash left over from making clothes when my oldest daughter was really small, and she's 31 now!
Maybe you could use it for a granddaughter? It's never too late, right?
You read my mind! No granddaughters in the near future though. When people ask my daughter, married for 2 years, when they're going to have a baby, she says "I teach junior high! Does that answer your question?!"
Old 06-22-2010, 03:38 PM

As I was pulling out a piece of leftover fabric that was about 10 years old, I got to wondering how old y'all have fabric? My oldest pieces are from the 80's. I have a length of orange knit was was going to be a Halloween pumpkin but never made it, a piece of yellow flannel that would have been a nightie & a nice piece of stretch terry from when we wore those strapless rompers (yikes!!!! good thing I was skinny minnie back then! :-P ) ah the 80's gotta love them! So, what's your oldest????
My UFO with all the fabrics is from 1980! I have some earlier fabrics, so I would say late 1970's. I guess that is 35 years or so for the oldest! (eek, I tell people I am only 35!)
Old 06-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Kas

The oldest I have is from the 30's or 40's. My dad's aunt never finished a top and I have all the pieces. I also have some fabric my mom bought to make clothes for us in the 60's and 70's. Also the burgandy wool from the 80's she bought to make me a suit and never did. It was going to be for homecoming or something.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:26 PM

My maternal grandmother recently passed away, and I inherited all of her sewing stuff ... several sewing machines, TONS of notions, fabric, etc. There was a box of quilting fabrics, quilt tops, and blocks that had belonged to her mother (my great-grandmother). She passed away in 1979, in her mid-70's, so her fabric was a minimum of 31 years old. She'd used newspaper to paper-piece some of the quilt blocks, and the date on the newspaper was in the 1950's. So that particular fabric has to be at least 55ish years old. :)

My grandmother had fixed some of her mother's quilt blocks, squaring them up and getting ready to sew them together. There are a bunch of 9 patch squares, and a bunch of double wedding ring pieces. Unfortunately she didn't get around to making quilts with them.

I hope to be able to do just that. :) Wouldn't that be cool ... quilts worked on by three generations? (I would say four, but my mom can't sew a lick! LOL!)
Old 06-22-2010, 06:33 PM

I have some that was my brother in laws grandmothers fabric. Actually I got alot of what she had.. She passed quite a few yrs ago and her husband passed just a couple yrs ago and they went thru the stuff and I got alot of her stash so I am not really sure how old some of it is pretty old because one tag has like 10 yds and the price is 3 something.