Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to prevent batiks from bleeding >

How to prevent batiks from bleeding

How to prevent batiks from bleeding

Old 08-11-2020, 10:21 AM

Default How to prevent batiks from bleeding

Finally completed! All batiks, and I think I prewashed them all....
I need to wash this quilt before gifting to my DIL....do you think synthrapol or Retayne will help eliminate any bleeding?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails 0a1c2cf5-d7e4-4993-ab93-c1a6a1d313b9.jpeg  
Old 08-11-2020, 01:08 PM

Have you tested them to see if they're actually going to bleed? In my experience, batiks rarely bleed because of the process they go through to remove the wax resist.

I'd check for bleeders first by dampening a white towel with water, then dabbing the towel on the fabrics you suspect may bleed. If no dye attaches to the towel, you're golden. If you do get dye, I can recommend Vickie Welsh's method of removing any excess. https://www.colorwaysbyvicki.com/upl...edingquilt.pdf
Old 08-11-2020, 01:15 PM

I think you will be ok with that range of colors if you prewashed all or most. You still will probably get some cast off, and some of that might be coming from the border so I wouldn't worry too much if color catchers come out a bit grey.

If a color catcher comes out darker than you'd like you might try soaking in a bit of Dawn detergent. Do this in your bathtub, don't add dish soap to a washing machine no matter how tempting... be careful picking up wet quilts. I suggest if you have a laundry basket with nice big holes is to use that sort of like an agitator in your bathtub -- quilt goes in hamper and you can swish it and squish it (get in and stomp on it to get as much soaking liquid out before another round in the washer).
Old 08-11-2020, 02:37 PM

=get in and stomp on it to get as much soaking liquid out before another round in the washer).
Haha....visions of Lucy Ricardo stomping grapes!

I like the idea of Dawn....will give it a go and cross my fingers, toes and eyes!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-12-2020 at 03:25 AM. Reason: fix quote formatting
Old 08-11-2020, 03:09 PM

I use a great deal of batiks in my quilting and of course they are one of my favorite fabric palettes to work with I can find so many that contrast one another and they look like they naturally are just meant to be in that place in a quilt at that time. I have not experienced any bleeding problems with batiks. If you pre-washed you fabrics you should be fine. I think others here are hitting it right on the nail head. Your quilt is just so beautiful I love the colors makes me want to pull all kinds of blues.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
... don't add dish soap to a washing machine no matter how tempting...
I use dawn in my washing machine for quilt fabrics all the time. Careful with quantity- I add 2-3 pumps...no more (maybe a tablespoon or palmful?) and yes I go for the 2nd rinse.
The foaming us what you are worried about right?
Old 08-12-2020, 02:09 AM

Stunning quilt! Congratulations! I work almost exclusively with Batiks and have never had a runner yet! I do however always throw in color catchers when washing any quilt.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:16 AM

What a gorgeous quilt! Congratulations!
Old 08-12-2020, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
I use dawn in my washing machine for quilt fabrics all the time. Careful with quantity- I add 2-3 pumps...no more (maybe a tablespoon or palmful?) and yes I go for the 2nd rinse.
The foaming us what you are worried about right?
Yes, it's much funnier on I Love Lucy than real life. Last year I had loads and loads of hand dyed fabric I bought at the thrift store I was stabilizing and I really got tempted, but I kept it in the sink and out of the washer. Original Dawn is an amazing thing, I keep it on hand along with the other basics like bleach and vinegar, WD40 and duct tape.

You can be careful with it, and there are things to do to help break down the suds. But you don't want to substitute even amounts if you are out of washing machine soap.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:09 AM

Gorgeous quilt and fabric colors. I love the wave and movement.