Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to quilt fleece backing/cotton top? >

How to quilt fleece backing/cotton top?

How to quilt fleece backing/cotton top?

Old 12-14-2013, 12:56 PM

Wink How to quilt fleece backing/cotton top?

I have made a Jello Roll Race quilt top and want to use fleece as a backing. I have not quilting this combo before, and have only done very limited quilting by machine. How do I quilt this? A friend told me to sew right sides together and leave and opening on one side then turn the quilt through it. I do not have a walking foot or free motion foot on my machine. I was going to quilt maybe every 4th strip or so using the seam as a guide and just do straight lines. How do I do this without the quilt bunching? I guess I could pin it before I sew it. If I do chicken out on the quilting I did get some peal cotton for tying the quilt. It's for my one and only niece who is always cold and wanted a quilt with a fleece backing. It's a lap size quilt and it's a Christmas present. Any suggestions or ideas would help! Thanks! I hope everyone is working hard on their Holiday projects!!!! It's going to snow here starting tonight, all errands done so I can sew tomorrow!!
Old 12-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

I would not pillowcase it but use 505 spray to bast the 2 layers together and quilt. If possible I might then fold the extra fleece back to the front and stitch for the binding (if the fleece is the non raveling kind)
Old 12-14-2013, 02:00 PM

I just did one. The easiest way is just meander it in my opinion.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:02 PM

I just did one and I found I could do ok if I didn't try tight corners or curves, or quilt too closely. It does not move around as nicely as cotton when you try to free-motion. I used some lightweight poly batting in the middle for me daughter (in Los Angeles!) who is always cold.
I think your plan to straight-line quit would be just fine. Should look really cute!

And Tartans idea of putting the extra fleese to the front really simplifies it - wish I'd thought to do that for binding
Old 12-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

I'm going to be sandwiching a fleece with pieced cotton top very soon.

Because of the higher-stretch in the fleece, I am wondering, if it would be better to do things in reverse to the norm ........ stretch the cotton top on the table, and tape it down with painters tape. Then lay the fleece on and spray away? I'm thinking this might prevent overstretching the fleece?

For those that have done this before ... what has been your experience??
Stick with the tried and true?
Or go with my alternate thought?
Old 12-14-2013, 03:51 PM

I made this one as a Christmas quilt and the DH really wanted fleece backing and batting. So, I put a very light cotton batting between the top and the fleece. I machine quilted it in three pieces and then sewed the three parts together.
Attached Thumbnails christmasquilt_2012.jpg  
Old 12-15-2013, 08:08 AM

Only pillow case it if you aren't doing a binding on it. It's really better if you have a walking foot, makes a world of difference. My daughters first quilt she wanted fleece on the back, it was a block quilt so she did the SITD and then tied the rest of it. It turned out great, only a few tucks here and there. That would be your biggest issue doing the pillow case method with fleece and not having a walking foot. by the time you get to the end of the row, you'll probably have extra fabric and will end up with tucks or pleats at the end. My daughters last quilt, we sprayed it and stil did a few pins just to make sure it didnt shift and she was surprised to see no tucks or pleats when she used the walking foot. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I'm going to be sandwiching a fleece with pieced cotton top very soon.

Because of the higher-stretch in the fleece, I am wondering, if it would be better to do things in reverse to the norm ........ stretch the cotton top on the table, and tape it down with painters tape. Then lay the fleece on and spray away? I'm thinking this might prevent overstretching the fleece?

For those that have done this before ... what has been your experience??
Stick with the tried and true?
Or go with my alternate thought?
We put the cotton top down, face up and the put the batting and then the fleece, top side down, spraying between each layer. We try not to stretch the fleece, we trim after sewing but before doing the binding. We just did ours on the floor. I'm making fleece quillows now, but using the pillowcase method for them. I'm laying these out on my bed so that I don't have to be down on my hands and knees so much.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:31 AM

When I did a jelly roll quilt with fleece backing/batting I folded the fleece over to the front for binding. For the quilting I did wavy lines down the middle of each strip. Quick n easy and looked nice too since machine quilting is not something I do well yet.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
We put the cotton top down, face up and the put the batting and then the fleece, top side down, spraying between each layer. We try not to stretch the fleece, we trim after sewing but before doing the binding. We just did ours on the floor. I'm making fleece quillows now, but using the pillowcase method for them. I'm laying these out on my bed so that I don't have to be down on my hands and knees so much.
Thanks ... looks like I was thinking the same as you.
Though, I think you mean the right side of the cotton would be facing the floor, then the batting with the fleece right side facing you.

Is this what others have done too?
(and yes, I plan to spray basting then FMQing)
Thanks!