Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to quilt a T-shirt quilt >

how to quilt a T-shirt quilt

how to quilt a T-shirt quilt

Old 07-28-2018, 06:48 AM

Default how to quilt a T-shirt quilt

A friend asked me about making her a T-shirt quilt, so I am doing some research before deciding. I have found lots of info on-line about how to make the quilt, but nothing about how to quilt it.
Do you quilt through the designs? If so, does that cause a problem for the needle? I will be using a long-arm machine. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

I have quilted all over E2E through the screen print shirt logos on my longarm with no issues at all. In fact both of these quilts were double sided with t-shirts on both sides. Here are links to pictures.

Meg's T shirt quilt some firsts

Double sided T-Shirt quilt

The T-shirts that can cause issues are the ones with the rubbery iron on type logos but screen printed are usually not an issue. I have also done several that were tied. I tied every 4" going through logos. Those quilts were raffled off so I can't attest to how well they have held up. I did make one for a friend and told him if anything comes apart I would fix it. He has not contacted me for repairs so I am thinking it has held up OK. Here is a link to that one:

Harley T-shirt quilt
Old 07-28-2018, 07:00 AM

I have quilted 3 on my Janome Artistic 18, and quilted everything. I didn't have any problems, I even quilted through the rubbery ones. I local longarmer, has quilted 3 others for me, and quilted through everything.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

I’ve quilted numerous T-shirt quilts, I have one customer who make 3-5 a year. I do not quilt through any ( rubbery) decals. I use batting that allows up to 10” quilting space. I quilt around designs. Sometimes just a wide open stipple or meandering, sometimes a bit more ( like echo quilting) around designs. Just depends on the quilt.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:36 PM

I have made several tshirt quilts - and have 3 to do now I don't have a long arm I quilted them on my Janome 6600. I did cross hatch quilting about 4" apart. I just stitched over the logos on the shirts. I didn't have any problems ... yet
Old 07-29-2018, 01:54 AM

I've made a few t-shirt quilts. The oldest one is the only one I keep track of since it is my DD's. If you stitch through the "plasticy" ironed on logos, they will eventually break up and peel between wear and washing.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
I've made a few t-shirt quilts. The oldest one is the only one I keep track of since it is my DD's. If you stitch through the "plasticy" ironed on logos, they will eventually break up and peel between wear and washing.
Interesting... never thought of that... hhmmm
Old 07-29-2018, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I have quilted all over E2E through the screen print shirt logos on my longarm with no issues at all. In fact both of these quilts were double sided with t-shirts on both sides. Here are links to pictures.

Meg's T shirt quilt some firsts

Double sided T-Shirt quilt

The T-shirts that can cause issues are the ones with the rubbery iron on type logos but screen printed are usually not an issue. I have also done several that were tied. I tied every 4" going through logos. Those quilts were raffled off so I can't attest to how well they have held up. I did make one for a friend and told him if anything comes apart I would fix it. He has not contacted me for repairs so I am thinking it has held up OK. Here is a link to that one:

Harley T-shirt quilt
Great quilts! Thanks for the info - I am wanting to just do an E2E. I have not seen my friend's T-shirts yet, so this tells me what to look for.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:24 PM

made 27, all but 2 long armed. I used to quilt like a more traditional quilt, sashings different, switching thread color to match t-shirt, carefully quilting around (and through) the logo like it was applique. Then realized that t-shirt quilts are all about the t-shirts! So now I just do a simple loop-2-loop all over and go through screen printed logos--those plastic ones I still avoid as it will slow down your needle and also it's not good for them. I do quilt in the recipient's name as my niece said surprisingly they do go missing at college sometimes.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:17 PM

I have read what everyone has said on this thread thus far and am not finding what I need. I'm new to the board and new to longarm quilting but not new to sewing. I recently purchased a Babylock Coronet and have quilted 7 quilts on it with not too many issues. I want to tackle quilting a t-shirt quilt. I have used Pellon SF101 on the back of the quilt squares, have Warm and Natural batting, and purchased 100% quilt cotton for the back. What size and type of needle and thread should I use? Thank you for your suggestions and any help.