Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to recognize the “Quilt Police”.... >

How to recognize the “Quilt Police”....

How to recognize the “Quilt Police”....

Old 04-11-2018, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb2018 View Post
I’m torn between two comments I received.
1) Oh look, how unique, I never would have thought to put those colors together.
2) You’ve only been quilting a couple of years; you shouldn’t even think of entering a quilt into a competition, even if it is just a county fair.
I often marvel at how creatively colors are used in quilts, colors that I would never think to put together only because I haven't had the capacity to imagine them together. If I've said to someone that I wouldn't have thought to put those colors together I hope they didn't take it as a negative, because it was meant as a compliment.

I don't think I've ever run into the quilt police. All of the quilters I've met have been generous with their help and kind with their comments.

I did hear a woman at a quilt show saying dismissively to her companion that the quilt they were looking at was just machine work. It was very densely and beautifully hand quilted.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:05 PM

Quilt police: How come your quilts don't fit a bed? What's the use?

This was a friend of my husbands who wanted to see my quilts. He will not be getting one and I always refuse sharing them with him now when he comes over. I will make one for his wife who loves my quilts....
Old 04-11-2018, 05:13 PM

"It's not a real quilt unless every stitch was put in by hand." That was my Granny, the Quilt Policewoman. I think of her every time I sit down at one of my machines. She never lived to see a rotary cutter, but I can just hear her scream about *that*!
Old 04-11-2018, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
We seem to have several “newbies” to our board who have asked us what they need to know, and I figured it could be helpful if we have one place to understand just who the “quiltpolice” are.

“The Instructor” - walks up to a quilt and says “You should have used a different/better
color/pattern/design, etc.”
Or another I witnessed.- “Paying someone else to quilt it is really the better way” (with a snarky tone) is rude. No, quilting it how you want it done, (and there are some real artists here), if that how you want it done,go for it. If that method or not, is what you chose, great, just give credit to the fellow artist.)
Old 04-11-2018, 05:20 PM

My elderly quilt police said - when she saw my quilt in a hand quilting frame - "at least nobody will get their toenails caught in her quilting stitches" - LOL
Old 04-11-2018, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
I’m not sure what to call this one-“Make me a quilt for a King-sized bed by this weekend. I’ll pay you $50” because we quilt out of love for the craft, right, & they could buy one just like it at Wal-Mart for that price.
Perfect response to this one. Smile sweetly, and say “ oh, do you need a ride to Walmart to get one, then you know it will be good...”
Old 04-11-2018, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I have one more. I was once told that all bindings should be mitered. I have never done mine that way, and I've not had any complaints from people I gave them to.
I can't figure out how to miter corners and have been lectured, shown, received written instructions... Yikes!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-12-2018 at 04:02 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 04-12-2018, 03:16 AM

My quilt police almost lost it when she found out I had combined hand and machine quilting on the same quilt
Old 04-12-2018, 03:34 AM

We had a saying in the 60s that I think should be the response to quilt police "Different strokes for different folks". In other words, go away and leave me alone. LOL
Old 04-12-2018, 04:11 AM

It's not a 'real' quilt if it's not hand quilted. I guess mine are all called 'rags'.