Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How to sell a sewing machine?

How to sell a sewing machine?

I have a Janome and have posted it for sale on e-bay classifieds, Craigslist, and SewUsed.com. I plan to put up a poster at 1 or 2 fabric stores that don't sell machines. But to increase the number of potential viewers I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for on-line posting sites.

The dealer I'm buying a new sewing plus embroidery machine from will take the Janome on commission but will charge me 1/3 of the selling price. So I'd obviously prefer to sell it myself.
    Thanks for any ideas.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-14-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Try the yahoo group "sewitsforsale". I have sold machines there.

You might try the local quilt guilds.

Good luck. I've bought a machine on Sew its for sale. Nice people. If it works for you let us know. I have a commercial machine I'd like to sell.

Facebook.
    Our local quilt shop lets us put up signs on a bulletin board. I've sold one machine that way.
    Also, our local sewing machine repair guy will by and sell used machines.

Blog Entries
    in order to *advertise* your intention here you should read the rules concerning offering items for sale on the board-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Have you tried Sew Its for sale. its a yahoo website. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SewItsForSale/
    Also you could post it here on Quilting Boards items for sale or trade page.

Sent you a PM.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

I'd never heard of Sew it's for sale. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try and let you know.

If you really want it to sell--put it on ebay for auction. You can always put a minimum bid. I bought my Featherweight on there and paid extra to have it packed at a ship and pack store.

I haven't heard yet from List manager for Sew it's for sale. But I have now listed it on ebay. Again, thanks for your ideas.

Just be careful, especially with Craigslist. There are a lot of scammers out there. If they aren't local and can't meet you in person, don't do business with them. DO NOT go to any site through a link in an email. They come out of the walls (at least they did for me 9 out of 10 contacts were frauds).
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    in order to *advertise* your intention here you should read the rules concerning offering items for sale on the board-
    In reading the original post, there's not enough information about the machine that *I* would consider this advertising an intention. JMHO.

In addition to sewitsforsale Yahoo group, there's another sewingstuff4sale on Yahoo. It has a smaller membership but might also be an option.

As to listing on this board, the pricing restrictions are unreasonable, IMHO, particularly if the machine is fairly new.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
    In reading the original post, there's not enough information about the machine that *I* would consider this advertising an intention. JMHO.

In addition to sewitsforsale Yahoo group, there's another sewingstuff4sale on Yahoo. It has a smaller membership but might also be an option.

As to listing on this board, the pricing restrictions are unreasonable, IMHO, particularly if the machine is fairly new.
    I totally agree with all you said. You have to be ready to lose if you sell on here. I would rather give my #1 away than take what I was told I had to offer it for on here. It's fully serviced and sitting in the box that it came back from servicing from. One day I'll sell it or not but if I chose to give it away, I'll make that decision without being forced into it. I've seen great deals on fabric on here but for things like machines, I think it's better to put them where you are in control. Plus, you have to have certain membership standings on here before you can advertise; which makes total since so it doesn't become another selling site.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post

I totally agree! I had placed an ad for a less than year old machine on this board and it was pulled because of the pricing restrictions. I listed it on Yahoo group SewItsForSale and it sold in less than an hour. The buyer opted to wait a few weeks for delivery as we were driving across country for the holidays and we stopped and hand delivered it to her. I have sold 3 vintage machines there also.

Following luvstoquilt301's suggestion, I posted the machine on ebay. And, following suggestions to be cautious about payment, I created a paypal account. The machine sold yesterday for the full asking price. Thanks to all for your ideas.
    I am a happy quilter!

Blog Entries
    Good luck with selling your machine, i would ebay it.
    Squirrelly Shirley

Quote Originally Posted by nanabeth View Post
    Following luvstoquilt301's suggestion, I posted the machine on ebay. And, following suggestions to be cautious about payment, I created a paypal account. The machine sold yesterday for the full asking price. Thanks to all for your ideas.
    I am a happy quilter!

Wow, that was pretty quick. Enjoy your proceeds.

Quote Originally Posted by nanabeth View Post
    I am a happy quilter!
    Glad it worked out for you.