Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How should I....

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I have had fabric in plastic totes for years and have had no problems with it.
    I also store in plastic tubs. Some have been there forever. No problems here.

Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    I have fabric, that I had stored in plastic containers. Some I placed in small baggies, left open for air. I have been reading that this is not a good way to store fabric. I moved it to a some closed drawers.
    Where I live, we get lots of dust. High desert. How do you all feel I would be better storing abric?
    I store mine in the plastic tubs in the basement and never had a mold problem. But they are not really airtight. But I do leave a zip lock bag open a bit for air circulation, as I have found that the bags so seem to be airtight (I suppose for good food storage!) and they pack better if some of the air can get out.

Have your hubby drill some holes in the top of the boxes and maybe a few in the top of the sides to let the boxes breath. and let moisture out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    I know there are things you can buy to keep closets dry, and most pill bottles come with small bags of whatever it is that keeps them from moisture.

Seems that somewhere I saw some bags of a chemical that would keep tightly closed plastic containers dry and mold free. Can't remember where at this time. Brain fog....

Should anyone find this, please let us all know.
    Do you mean Damp Rid? It works best, but you do have to empty the collection container from time to time.
    KInd Regards,
    MaryAnna

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnna
    I know there are things you can buy to keep closets dry, and most pill bottles come with small bags of whatever it is that keeps them from moisture.

Seems that somewhere I saw some bags of a chemical that would keep tightly closed plastic containers dry and mold free. Can't remember where at this time. Brain fog....

Do you mean Damp Rid? It works best, but you do have to empty the collection container from time to time.
    KInd Regards,
    MaryAnna
    DEFINITELY NOT DAMP RID! These are the little white packets about 1 inch by 1 1/2 inch that say silica gel and often come in shoe boxes, sometimes purses, they absorb moisture and keep stuff from molding!

Blog Entries
    Mine are in the plastic bins in the cabinet. Not a problem yet and some of them have been in there a loooong time. I am not a big fan of baggies though and I don't have a good reason. Just ain't. From time to time I go pet my fabric. It makes me happy and gives my stash a chance to come out and play.

Mine are in plastic tubs some have been in there for years and they are in the garage have had no problem

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbridges22
    I store mine in a cabinet.It is Formica so no worries about coming in contact with wood.I shut the doors to keep light out.Air circulates so I don't worry about mold.
    ME TOO AND I HAVE A WALL FULL OF THEM..NO PROBLEMS AND I CAN OPEN THE DOORS AND SEE MOST OF ALL THE FABRIC..AT LEAST COLORS..EACH CABINET HAS A DIFFERENT COLOR IN IT...MAKES IT EASY FOR ME. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM STORING AND I HAVE USED IT SEVERAL YEARS IN MY BASEMENT..OF COURSE IT IS HEATED AND AIRCONDITIONED..NO DAMP PROBLEMS (I AM JUST A LITTLE SPOILED BUT THEN I AM GETTING OLD TOO).
    CAROL

I live in the high desert of CA with lots of dust too AND sunshine. I've been storing my fabrics in plastic tubs with no problems.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

I have 9 18 gallon size plastic tubs of fabric that have been stored like that since 2003 when I had to move. Still have no place to spread everything out--working on that but not done yet. These tubs have fold over plastic lids so they are not air tight--maybe that is the difference.
    I like them because they can be stacked also.

It is just a pain to look for fabric stored this way.
    Maybe someday things will be better!!!

Chris

I use plastic tubs for some fabrics and have had no problems with moisture or mold. But I use cotton pillowcase covers with zippers for all my quilts. I had them in space bags - a big big no no! After you place them in the pillowcase covers it is okay to place them in plastic containers - preferably in a dry area.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    I have stored fabric in plastic totes for years; never had a problem with it ; except the cover not fitting tightly on some. But I visit them often to check on them.
    ditto for me

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I have had fabric in plastic totes for years and have had no problems with it.
    This is how I store my fabric too, never had moldy fabric.
    My house has no central air or heat, so everything gets dusty quickly.

You can find this stuff at an RV store! I've gotten it for my dad.

I store mine in plastic tubs too... however... I do make a point of going in and every six months refolding the fabric and switching the order from top to bottom. First it keeps me fresh on what I have so I don't make duplicate purchases and second it reduces any "exposure" that may happen as a result of light and potential leaks from the top. IF that makes sense?!

I keep mine in plastic totes with lids. Used my DH's drill to make small holes around the top.

I store my fabric on an open shelf in plastic bags. I also take the small plastic or paper silica packets from medicine bottles and new shoe boxes and toss them in drawers and on shelves for whatever help they will be with any humidity.

I store WIP in plastic boxes that my DH has made holes at both ends. No problems yet and some of these projects stay in the boxes for years. LOL
    Good luck, Kutnso

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I have stored fabric in plastic totes for years; never had a problem with it ; except the cover not fitting tightly on some. But I visit them often to check on them.
    Hehehehe On the visiting. It seems my fabrics get to see my face atleast monthly if not more frequently.
    I call visiting 'fondling' Every once in a while, I just have to do it, and after I've fondled, all is right with the world.

I'm in the process of reorganizing, and I have it stored in plastc, on wood, in cardboard boxes, some the are filled so much that the upper fabric is stored in nothing, but covered with a sheet. I see that some of this fabric I got when the kids were born, and they range in age from 22 to 25. It's all still good

Hae to leave, feel a fondling urge coming up....

I have stored in plastic tubs (both clear and solid) for years with no problems. I would think it would not be an issue unless the material was put into the tubs while it was damp.

If the area you live in does not have a lot of humidity, then I would think you would not have the mildew we have on the Gulf Coast of Texas.

I have stored in plastic totes and traveled across this country and back and wintered in Florida no problems.

You can also get pillowcases from thrift stores...

Our experience has been that crocheted or knit afghans stored in the plastic containers took on a "sour" smell and it didn't come out in the wash. I wonder if fabric in pillowcases in plastic containers would work. It would be more time-consuming when we want to stroke our fabrics however.

I have the opposite problem. I have a very hard time removing the lids when I need to get into the totes. We live in a very humid climate and I've never had problems with mildew in fabric....so far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast