Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to track the quilts you want to do >

How to track the quilts you want to do

How to track the quilts you want to do

Old 07-04-2014, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
If that's what you're comfortable with, go for it! I design in Excel so it's really easy for me to set everything up in Excel workbooks. There's a master spreadsheet with each quilt linked to their own individual workbook. The quilt specific workbook has all the 'intimate details', alternate colors and fabrics, sources, cutting details, etc. You can add photos, notes, calculations, all kinds of things plus you can merge any or all of what you want with other MS software seamlessly. No paper to lose or get crumply. Works perfectly for me.
I keep everything dumped in a folder called AA Quilts to Make. It's gotten large enough that it's time to cull and organize and Excel is the exact tool needed! I've been away from corporate life for about 4 years and I must say, I thrilled to read the quote. Excel is where it's at!
Old 07-04-2014, 05:03 PM

I have a folder on my laptop and a hard folder of patterns I have found in magazines i want to do. Does it help??? Nope I have figured out I have to win the lottery to buy all the fabric I would need to make the quilts. And to make it worst I need to live to at least 300 yrs to make them LOL!!!
Old 07-04-2014, 05:05 PM

I have the same problem. I have save multiple ideas from books, magazines in a journal and also in a 3 ring note books (I have 9 thus far) and have not used them yet.

After redoing my sewing and realizing how many books I have - I have decided to take the fist book off the pile and do all the quilts it that book I am interested in a tis time. Then I will place the book on the bottom of the pile. By the time I t back o the book I may be interested in other pattern the book . But I have over 200 book and over 300 patterns I have collected on he years. So I may never get back to the book.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Me too! I have a photo folder of the quilts I have completed and within that folder I have a Bucket List folder. I try to remember to "save as" with the name of the quilt so I can go back and google for the instructions. I can't imagine zip locks or binders full of stuff I may or may not do. Tastes change so quickly.
I too have a folder on my computer with pictures and the instructions with them, but I do need to get an external hard drive just in case something happens to my computer. I have 4 3" binders full of magazines I've gotten just in case I need to look back at an idea or if someone is looking for a pattern from a magazine I just might have it. But I stopped all my subscriptions just have the last few coming in till they expire.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:29 PM

I also have a 3 ring binder I put patterns and pictures in. Sadly though my wish list is so long now that I doubt that I'll ever get them all or even many of them done. But hopefully I will pick from them and make the favorites. I'm one of those that has to finish a project before I can start another so it's one at a time. I don't usually buy fabric unless I have a project in mind, mostly because I don't have much storage room for a stash.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:03 AM

I track nothing - have patterns saved all over the place. So far I have had no struggle at all deciding what to make next. Also have lots of fabric destined to become a quilt, but without a specific pattern in mind. I am way too lazy to be organized about that stuff.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:21 AM

I have 3 ring notebooks divided into different sections. I keep PP patterns in a different section from other patterns. Purchased patterns are in a box. I try to not print off instructions for a pattern I most likely will not make, since I already have probably more than I'll ever make now. I'm currently in two small groups and we have a challenge to make a small quilt or a block each month. I also keep a separate file folder with ideas for fireworks quilts, since I make one of those each year for another challenge. So at this point, I don't have time, to just jump in and choose something to make, from my collection of patterns. Maybe someday...
Old 07-09-2014, 06:06 PM

Craftsy is offering a free project page download. http://www.craftsy.com/reference/cra...-Registrations

I'll be printing just a few for myself, lol!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:48 PM

I have tons of quilts to "someday" make. But at the moment I have a hand written list of about 6 quilts and 3 sewing projects I want to finish before the end of November (mostly cause they are gifts for people for weddings, baby etc.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!