Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to track the quilts you want to do >

How to track the quilts you want to do

How to track the quilts you want to do

Old 07-04-2014, 05:36 AM

I use a grocery shopping app on my phone. I got it for groceries but then started it for books I want to read. I recently began a list of 'quilts to do'. I list it by the name of the quilt, and I can add a picture and I can add notes (magazine the pattern is in, if I have the pattern, or if I just found it on Pinterest or something). It's really handy, and I seem to ALWAYS have my phone with me!

the app I use is called Grocery Gadget, and I have lots of lists in there. It was great when we moved to our new house - I made a list of things to get and was able to include notes such as curtain sizes, room sizes, colors, etc. I use it for everything.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
If that's what you're comfortable with, go for it! I design in Excel so it's really easy for me to set everything up in Excel workbooks. There's a master spreadsheet with each quilt linked to their own individual workbook. The quilt specific workbook has all the 'intimate details', alternate colors and fabrics, sources, cutting details, etc. You can add photos, notes, calculations, all kinds of things plus you can merge any or all of what you want with other MS software seamlessly. No paper to lose or get crumply. Works perfectly for me.
Do you think you would be willing to share this in a template? I am horrible setting things up in Excel, but can use it if it is set up. If you have a blank shell template, I would be oh so grateful for it.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:54 AM

I'm a binder girl too. Have 5 binders and one of them is for projects I've alreadymade. It's my go to binder if I need a quilt in a jiffy.

I also have a word doc of quilts I want to do or color combos that I like. No wait more than one word doc. One for quilt,s baby quilt, mug rugs, table runners, Quilts of Valor, etc.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:03 AM

I keep a photo bucket list on the computer.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
I keep a photo bucket list on the computer.
Me too! I have a photo folder of the quilts I have completed and within that folder I have a Bucket List folder. I try to remember to "save as" with the name of the quilt so I can go back and google for the instructions. I can't imagine zip locks or binders full of stuff I may or may not do. Tastes change so quickly.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:43 AM

I have a drawer where i keep the patterns and sometimes the fabric for the things I plan on doing. It is quite a deep storage drawer, but i have to admit it is getting pretty full. At least its all in one place.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:11 AM

I use both pinterest and a folder on my computer. Every 6 months or so, I look through what I have in both places and discard ones I no longer I'm interested in. I don't buy kits and the few patterns I have are in a hanging plastic bag so I see them often.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:27 AM

I will never be able to keep track, there are so many and as I am just really learning how to piece something besides squares, I get excited when I find a new way and want to add that in. I just find it amazing how many and varied the blocks and ways of putting them together. My biggest problem now is I like to do the tops, but now so much the quilting. Can't afford to send them out, so they just wait until the right mood strikes me.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I'm afraid I'm guilty of writing down the quilting projects in my "Roundtoit" List, but I often get sidetracked when I see something in a quilt magazine or on the internet. I have attempted to get more organized and when I find a pattern I absolutely want to make, I will put the magazine or pattern in the very large zip lock bags, along with the fabrics to make the project. I also saved a plastic 3-drawer storage container from the dumpster, as my DH had found a better storage method for his items and was going to toss it. He grumbled, but I won, so it now resides under the folding banquet table I use for sewing, and my nicely organized zip lock bags found a home, as well as some of the fabric I bought just to make purses, so I can find them easier. Is my sewing area, now completely neat and organized - well, no, but I keep trying and hope springs eternal.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:37 AM

I have hundreds of patterns that I just had to do when I filed them and I have lost count of how many large zip bags with all the fabric and patterns I need for quilts I just had to make and I just keep adding to them. At 75 I know I will not even make a dent in them but it is so much fun dreaming I will get them done.