Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to track the quilts you want to do >

How to track the quilts you want to do

How to track the quilts you want to do

Old 07-02-2014, 06:47 PM

Default How to track the quilts you want to do

Do you keep a list, or somehow track, the quilts you want to do? I have a list in my head, but the list is getting too long to keep there! For some planned quilts I have the fabric and pattern and just need the time. For others I've found a pattern I want to do and have ideas in mind for the types of fabric. In other cases I've just found a pattern I want to do eventually.

It would be nice to have a list so that when I'm ready to start something new I could reference it. I think it would also be great for the times I get to go away for a weekend to quilt with friends. If I had a list of projects it would be easy to pick the best one for a weekend.

I just wondered what others do. I'm thinking about starting a spreadsheet, but then I'm known for my spreadsheet to my friends and family, so that's a natural way for me to do it. How does everyone else do this?
Old 07-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Power Poster

I have an idea file. I make photocopies of quilt patterns from magazines for my file, I tear out advertising pages that the colour combos appeals to me, I put in my pencil sketches etc. I also have a little note book I keep at my computer for websites that have a pattern I like.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:16 PM

I have 3-ring binders of pictures, magazine clippings and ideas. Sadly though I don't even look at these because I'll see some new fabric or another new pattern and will go with that instead.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:22 PM

I also have several 3 ring binders with patterns and instructions I have gotten from magazines and internet. I love to sit and look through them while watching TV in the evenings.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:22 PM

I have the patterns or magazines and I prioritize them....When I feel ambitious I cut the fabric and make the kits and put them away until I can work on them..
K
Old 07-02-2014, 07:31 PM

I have a photo file that I keep on my iPhone, but I, too, am bad about finding something new and going with it. I need to start and finish something as soon as I think I like it, because within a fairly short time my attention span goes on to something new.

fyi...the file that loads to my iPhone is on my laptop, so I have the pics in 2 places. I, also, have a photo file of all the quilt kits I have bought and haven't started yet.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:52 PM

Count me as another with a 3-ring binder. I really don't have unfinished projects. I'm a little OCD in needing the "end" of a project before I start another one (but I'm only that way with quilting. Crocheting, knitting, etc I don't have that need ) Like TexasSunshine, I like to peruse them in front of the TV while I contemplate my next project.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:53 PM

For something I have done some planning on, I store the fabrics and the pattern together. When I go through my stash, it reminds me that those projects are waiting as well.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Power Poster

For quilts I see online that I would like to make "someday", I use Pinterest. If I have already purchased fabrics and a pattern for a quilt, I bundle them together in a plastic bin as a kit. Learned long ago to always keep the pattern together with the fabrics!
Old 07-02-2014, 08:26 PM

I have a big basket that holds want to do stuff. Sometimes its just a pattern in a baggie. Some are fabrics with no pattern, or any other combination of ideas. Each idea is in its own bag so that i can add to it as i find more fabrics or the pattern. I also just keep a list in a ledger book of the projects in the basket. It works well for me because when i want to start something else, i just grab a bag and go. Right now there are about 20 projects in the basket. Mof course, I also have zillions of patterns saved on my ipad.