Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how well do you know

Yeah I'm thinking he meant 1.00 not 100. To be honest I LOVE my new tools (ie rotary cutter) and the quick methods of putting things together that we have today. It might be worth a gander if price typo just to see if there are any patterns you have never seen and might be interested in. If they are close, and that's a typo. Sooo many mags. now a days with more patterns than I can do in my lifetime. As it is by Bucket List has a Bucket List of it's own.

Blog Entries
    They have got to be kidding
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Some people think the things that they have are made of gold. There is no way those patterns are worth that kind of money. You can get those patterns free on the internet. Things are only worth what someone else is willing to pay, and I would be surprised is someone pays that for old patterns (if they are really old). jmho
    Sue

What a rip-off!! They may find someone out there willing to pay. It won't be me!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

It looks like some of them have "yellowed" over time, but as for being originals, it seems like the paper would fall apart if you tried to unfold and use the patterns. Unfortunately, a lot of people think "old" is antique and charge accordingly. They may just be part of someone's collection and not that old at all. I would be curious to know if someone actually buys them.

Blog Entries
    I have a huge notebook with patterns from the 30's that Grandmother saved from the newspaper some ae just pictures and some have the piecing information. They are definitely yellow but fun to look at.
    Quilting in the Desert

Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
    I'm shocked too! I think most of them you could get on quilterscache.com for free.
    This was my first thought exactly.

Really folks, I checked. People collect old quilt pattern papers. You can see it on ebay. I confess to collecting old embroidery patterns but usually for 10--25 cents at a flea market or thrift store.

There's more than enough free patterns out there to keep me busy for the rest of my days!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I wonder if they are from the KC Star patterns from the past. If so, I have quiet a few and I did not pay $$$$ for them. Maybe someone is trying to make a quick buck.

Someone sure did put a lot of time and energy into organizing their idea library. She must have really loved her hobby.

Perhaps the $100 is a typo.[/QUOTE]

This is what I was thinking. The envelopes remind me of some sewing, quilting or crafting thing I belonged to many years ago and you got a pattern a month in the mail. I am thinking it was back in 70s or 80's when I got these. Anyway long gone from my inventory (another word for clutter/crap) now. Take care.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suze9395 View Post
    Someone sure did put a lot of time and energy into organizing their idea library. She must have really loved her hobby.
    This is what I was thinking.
    Nana of 1 E and 2 G's

I wouldn't give that much for them. You could probably get the same patterns at the library, would just take some time looking through their books.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
    The fonts on some of the envelopes appear quite modern. Some of the patterns could have originated in the 1930s yet not be original prints. It almost appears as if someone had belonged to a pattern club and received periodic mailings or some individual had a business selling traditional patterns. I remember when patterns were hard to find except for Mountain Mist and a quilter had to draft from examples in books like Marguerite Ickis or The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt. It was a wonderful day when Quilters' Newsletter was launched in black and green ink and then full color.

The other possibility was that the original owner collected the patterns offered in newspapers and other periodicals.

Perhaps the $100 is a typo.
    I have Quilters Newsletters from 1975 on.....wonderful patterns, articles and nostalgia

$500 for 500 patterns is not that unreasonable when you stop to think that this person spend roughly about $1.00 on each for: envelope, paper, toner ink, time to find the patterns and then took the trouble of keeping them safe.
    The only problem is, in our "computer age of time" we all know that we can get these for free on the internet, or almost free, we still would have to spend money on printing them as we needed to. So all in all I don't see the problem with the amount that is being asked.
    If we didn't have the computer availability like we do, we'd all probably jump at the chance of having them.

Just MHO

Blog Entries
    Gee I have a book that has lots of those! There are so many scams out there! too bad.
    Patski
    always learning

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seasaw2mch View Post
    $500 for 500 patterns is not that unreasonable when you stop to think that this person spend roughly about $1.00 on each for: envelope, paper, toner ink, time to find the patterns and then took the trouble of keeping them safe.
    The only problem is, in our "computer age of time" we all know that we can get these for free on the internet, or almost free, we still would have to spend money on printing them as we needed to. So all in all I don't see the problem with the amount that is being asked.
    If we didn't have the computer availability like we do, we'd all probably jump at the chance of having them.

Just MHO
    #1- she is asking $1,000 for them, #2- they are NOT that old, I have photocopies done in the 90's that are now yellowed from being stored in a cardboard box, #3-, her ad is misleading!

They gotta be kidding, you can get about any pattern you want online.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...6BC2680921.png
    " You can be a master of every thing you do. Every thing you do may not be a masterpiece, understand that, then do the best you can with what you've got".Maya Angelou

lgc
    Blog Entries
    From what I saw, it looks like there are 500 patterns with templates for $500. So at $1.00 a pattern it's really not that bad of a deal. As long as you are planning to hand piece them all, alla Farmer's wives.
    lgc

Jacquie---Would you like some original Kansas City newspaper patterns from that era? Free to You! If you want them.
    Last edited by quiltapillow; 07-04-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: a correction

i must have missed something. I only see a price of 500 patterns for $500.00 Where did these other prices show up. ?????

I have a lot of these...they came with some items that belonged to a quilter. Her daughter's brought them to me. They are from old newspapers...the papers only showed the quilt/block...you sent a dime to them & they sent you the pattern..these are what you would get in the mail. They ran from the 1920's, up until the present. These look mimographed...or done by news print machine...newer ones (after the 1950's) were done on copy machines.

These look like the ones I have, and they are from the 1940's.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    OLD patterns...to me, these look like photo copies, definitely NOT original and not from the 30's!

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/clt/3100940231.html
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

No, Lemoyne Star is a block cut from a diamond shape & forms an 8 pointed star...the pattern shown is a variation...and is more like a boquet of flowers...the intended name is Lemon Star...I don't know if it's a play on words or not. I have this pattern and a flower, a butterfly & about 40 more from same time period.
    They were gifted to me.
    These are patterns that you ordered out of the Sunday papers years and years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    Shouldn't that be Lemoyne Star, not Lemon star? ;-)
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    But at the price of "1-4 patterns for $100"????
    I believe it said 500 patterns - $500. That's $1 per pattern.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast