Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would I cut this? >

How would I cut this?

How would I cut this?

Old 05-05-2013, 04:37 AM

If you like this block you might also enjoy the hidden wells block. ITs on my to do list.
http://moosestashquilting.blogspot.c...-tutorial.html
Old 05-05-2013, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
That is a simple string quilt block. If you google string quilts you will see many examples. And yes, you can sew a bunch of strips together and cut squares out on the bias. I've done it with triangles.
This is also in a book of Log Cabin Blocks--it has so many variations I can't remember all the block names. But I'm one that follows instructions because I'm sure they know the why it should be done that way.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:23 AM

sew strips together then use triangle ruler to cut pieces or just cut on 45 degree angles is what I think I would do..but i am a beginner so not sure I am telling you right
Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 AM

This block looks like a strip quilt to me. Maybe start in the corner instead of in the middle ? Lay out your strips and make sure they work and make all the blocks to match.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:54 AM

With bias edges another way to control them is to baste stitch on the bias edge 1/8" from the edge. Leg the feed dogs do the work so you don't stretch it while doing this. Keeps the bias side from stretching at all.

I frequently do this around the entire ed of my quilt top before I sandwich it for the same reason.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:10 PM

I believe this is the hidden wells pattern. The best instructions I have found for it is www.reddawn.net. They are very easy to follow.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:50 PM

This is a string quilt. http://theconfusedquilter.blogspot.c...continues.html

One quick way to do these blocks is using pages from an old telephone book. Cut the page to any size, leaving 1/4" extra all the way around. Then use that to lay your strips on. I prefer starting with the middle strip, which is always the same color (which makes a nice secondary pattern). The paper is sturdy, but it tears away very easily when you're finished. The sky's the limit with string blocks... there are so many ways you can lay them.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:57 PM

I make a lot of string quilts with the flip and sew method and this is an example. I do mine on a muslin foundation.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:11 AM

Ranch wife I think I have found the answer . In pictures is a thread from judy363950 called forgotten but it is a crafsty bom. And at present on page 1. It just needs more stripes.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:06 AM

I think I've finally figured out what most of you were describing here. I couldn't get the Missouri Quilt tutorial out of my head that I posted earlier and was struggling with how I could take that method and translate it to look like the square I posted originally. So I did what someone mentioned earlier, I googled string method and found this wonderful tutorial (http://filminthefridge.com/2009/04/2...pieced-method/) that will create squares exactly like I want. So, I guess I will be doing the paper piecing method, but that should let my squares be pretty much perfect. It is funny how brains get stuck thinking one way, then all of a sudden a new concept is presented and everything falls neatly into place. I'm so excited to start this quilt. Now, I just need to figure out how many different colors I'm going to use and how much fabric to get of each color. Thank you all soooooooo much for your help! All your ideas and comments lead me to figuring this out.