Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How would I

use my embroidery machine to make small embroidery squares? I would like to be able to place a small piece of fabric on my hoop to embroider. It seems as though I waste allot of fabric when I put a larger piece in my hoop and then I have to cut the design out of the large piece.

Any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks!

I try to do several small ones on a single piece of fabric before I cut them out. After you do one , unhoop and move over just enough so you won't overlap the design and do another. I usually cut my fabric big enough to do a row of 2 by the width of the fabric. I fan fold the excess and pin so it doesn't get caught up in the movement of the hoop.

I have usually used the iron on stuff for embroidering.
    Then, I have a piece of fabric, that I have cut a square out of the middle and I baste the piece of fabric onto the "hole" so I can embroider it. It took me a bunch of tries to accomplish this, but it worked for me.
    You could try this to see if it works for you.

Thank you, I'll try that.

I sometimes just hoop the stabilizer and use some spray adhesive to stick the piece of fabric to the stabilizer.

Ya'll do it the easy way...I have to do it the hard way. lol
    I've tried doing more than one on a piece, but then when it comes to cutting, I ALWAYS screw it up, then have to start over.

Blog Entries
    I have had good luck using the sticky stabalizer, of course...you are either wasting fabric, or you are wasting stabalizer...some times the fabric is cheaper :roll:

If I use the sticky stabilizer, will it gum up my needle? I found when I used it before, my sewing machine needle got very sticky after.

:D I have no clue as I don't have an embroidery machine. :( Just wanted to say hi. I am sure the board members will help you.

Judee

Quote Originally Posted by Carol W
    If I use the sticky stabilizer, will it gum up my needle? I found when I used it before, my sewing machine needle got very sticky after.
    It's never done that to mine. If you do get that gummy stuff on your machine, use a Q-tip with some alcohol to clean it off.

Power Poster
    What if you draw lines on your fabric before you start embroidering, and then you will know how/where to move it? Sort of like cheater cloth - ?

Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol W
    It's never done that to mine. If you do get that gummy stuff on your machine, use a Q-tip with some alcohol to clean it off.
    Yes, I've done the Q-tip/alcohol thing. It works like a charm to de-gum your needle.

You can also either pin your fabric in place or do a basting stitch to hold it down.

Just make sure your fabric is a good two inches larger than you need for your design and that your design is centered in your fabric.