Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How would you do this?

How would you do this?

I have several of these blocks that I won at a quilt meeting and want to set them in a Christmas tree shape as you see here but more rows of course. I want to surround these with different green fabrics from my stash. So here's my question:

The blocks are 10" square now and I was thinking of adding 5x10" rectangles made into 10" squares set on the outsides of these where the row would have 2 different green fabrics going horizontally then two green fabrics set vertically and alternating horizontal and vertical to the ends outside the ornament blocks as wide as I decide to go with them so the ornaments would end up tree shaped (large triangle).

So would I cut 5 1/2" x 10 1/2" rectangles for each or does it depend on the direction they go? Or would I have to cut 5 1/2 x 10" or 5 x10 1/2" for every other square as they alternate?

i know I could just cut all 5 1/2" squares and do 4patches but this seems more interesting, I'm just not sure what to cut. Any thoughts from you brilliant ladies would be appreciated.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1681
Size:  1.52 MB
    Wow the pic came out small but I'm sure you get the idea. Please say you get the idea from this and thanks for your help! Ok the pic was only small until it actually posted lol.

If it's just the direction that differs I don't see why you would have to alter the measurements of the blocks...maybe I'm not understanding.....you want to sew rectangles together to make squares and then the squares would be set in an alternating orientation? I'm sure someone will be along to help you, I'll be watching this thread to see what the outcome is and looking forward to your finished project....sounds terrific by the way!

If they are 10 inches unfinished you would cut your strips 10 X 5 1/4.

Blog Entries
    no help here, just want to say I LOVE that block. good for a block exchange
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Maybe this will help.

Jan in VA

PS> disregard the word "top" on the bottom part of the drawing - forgot to erase it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    are you going for a full background? then hst's of green and backing fabric would work for the sides. lovely blocks!! have fun.

I like Jan's idea. I was just trying to figure out on to put it into words.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I also like Jan's idea, but if you wanted the quilt to be square, you could use half-square rectangles. I found this really cool tutorial on them here: https://themodernquiltguild.wordpres...apes-tutorial/ This is going to be a great quilt - just love the ornaments!!

Blog Entries
    Like Jan's idea. You could then make a rectangle quilt from there if you want or just put a border around in green and sandwich. I would starch my green fabric because of the bias edges. The starch would also make it firmer as you are rushing for Christmas.
    Finished is better than a UFO

http://www.glendalequiltguild.org/20...w-winners.html

The log cabin tree is in the 4th row.

I picture a tree made of log cabin blocks with these blocks added here and there.
    However you do it, what a beautiful quilt!
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Quote Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
    If they are 10 inches unfinished you would cut your strips 10 X 5 1/4.
    I think this is what I needed. Thank you all!
    i will post a pic when it's completed.

I like Jan's idea too. Doesn't look too complicated and would make a striking quilt. I also agree that block would make a great exchange block. How fun it would be to see the different ornaments from others.