Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How Young is Too Young?

When my oldest GD turned 5 I bought her a SEW MINI machine. Maya, has been quilting since she was 5. She's made at least 13 quilts and she's only 9 years old. Most of those have gone to charity and she's made some for her teachers. I believe she's even sold one or two. She's to the point where she uses the rotary cutter by herself. She's also graduated to a bigger machine. Only 9 and already has 3 machines. So, it's never too early to teach the little ones to sew, especially if they are eager to learn. Have fun with her you'll be making so many wonderful memories. Happy quilting!
    She has some quilts posted on this site. Do a search; Maya's Flannel Quilt & Great Job, Maya

keeping the home fire burning and waiting for my son's safe return
    My daughter started when she was three. She even had her own stash. She loved going to quilt shops with me and knew that she would get to pick a couple of fat quarters out if she was good. There is a quilt shop about an hour away that sells fat quarters "by the boat load" meaning that they have a row boat in the store that is filled with all kinds of fat quarters. She is 18 now and still loves to go through the selection to see if there is any fabric that must go home with us :)

My granddaughter began at 5 by making a tiny quilt for the classroom teddy bear. To encourage reading, Teddy, his quilt, and books went home in a tote bag with the student of the week.

I have a friend who's granddaughters all started as toddlers on 'Grammie's' knee. She has a needleguard for each of her machines, so no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilliebee
    I have a friend who's granddaughters all started as toddlers on 'Grammie's' knee. She has a needleguard for each of her machines, so no worries.
    Where do you get needleguards?

Regardless of age, she sounds like she is ready and excited! Go with it and see what she wants to make----turn her loose in your stash and have fun!

Blog Entries
    I've been asked to volunteer teaching sewing/quilting at my grand-niece and nephews school to replace their dearly loved teacher. It is a Montessori school, ages I believe, are 5-9 or so. I am a little worried-I don't know where to begin. Idon't think they have machines, so it will be all hand-work-which means sewing needles! Any suggestions??? I only had two boys, and no grand-kids yet, so have no experience teaching littlies!

My now 13 yr old started at about 3 to 4 yr old. She did some hand sewing and also some piecing on a very nice big sewing machine. The newer sewing machines seem easier for them to use. Ofcourse it looked like a very young child made it but now at 13 she is an aewsome quilter and is teaching her friends. Also she was only able to do little bits at a time. Before she started sewing I had her glue scraps (from cutting) on sheets of paper with a glue stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    I've been asked to volunteer teaching sewing/quilting at my grand-niece and nephews school to replace their dearly loved teacher. It is a Montessori school, ages I believe, are 5-9 or so. I am a little worried-I don't know where to begin. Idon't think they have machines, so it will be all hand-work-which means sewing needles! Any suggestions??? I only had two boys, and no grand-kids yet, so have no experience teaching littlies!
    I taught my granddaughter to sew starting at age 4. For your age group, start with a simple tote bag. Pre cut the bags and using a pinwheel and sewing tracing paper, mark the seam allowance. The dots are where the children insert the needle. Hope this helps.

I started all the grandkids at around 5 or whenever they showed a real interest. (boys included) Just be really careful and aware that little fingers sometimes are fast. Most completed a quilt by the time they were 6 or 7. We did quilts about 45"x 55", so large enough for them to cuddle with. They were tied not quilted.

There is a great series of books for teaching young ones to sew. They are by Winky Cherry. The first one is "My First Sewing Book" and there are several more all with the "My First ______ Book".
    http://www.palmerpletsch.com/childrenbooks.htm

I was able to take a seminar with Winky and she starts with small groups about age 5. I used this book's idea and techniques with a full second grade class, who were mostly Spanish speaking. 30+ kids with just me and their teacher to show them how to stitch. And trying to translate into words they could understand. By the end of the first hour every one of them was threading their own needle and tying the knot at the end.
    And they enjoyed the project so much they asked for another one that we did as a Mother's Day project.

These are a wonderful way to teach children, either one on one or in small groups. (There are even manuals and a DVD at the end of the above link for helping one learn how to teach to kids.)
    I am not affiliated with this publisher or the series but I have used it and very successfully. (My junior high students saw what the little ones were doing and wanted to do it too..... so I set up some for them to do to. They loved it, both the boys and the girls.)

Have fun,
    Pati, in Phx

My oldest dgd was 7 and the youngest dgd was 4. I started them on a piece of white paper with no thread and let them get the feel of the machine. Then drew some lines to follow til they felt comfortable. Both have made a number of quilts, kitty blankets, pincushions and pillows. Yana loves my little featherweight, but Jayde loves my machine with the fancy stitches.

My dad learned to hand sew when he was a little boy. So have at it. Their attention span is short but give it a try.

My daughter has been hand sewing a 4 patch for a while now. She was 4 when she started. She's done very well. I draw the sewing line for her and she does a really really good job staying on the line! I'm not quite ready to let her at my machine yet.

Blog Entries
    My dd is 6 and she just started to sew my mother bought her a brothers.My niece is 9 and just started.My dd has been helping me sew for a year or so.

Now is a good time -- before grows up & gets too busy.

My 5 year-old great-granddaughter. She drew 4 pictures which I transferred to cloth via the computer.First, I sewed them together. Then I used embroidery thread and told her to point to the spot where she wanted me to insert the needle when it was ready to be quilted. While I controlled this, once the needle was in the fabric, I let her pull it through. Close supervision, but it worked. Needlessly to say, the stitches were big, but with the embroidery thread, it looked rather nice. PS: She didn't let me forget that, according to her, i sewed the pic. with the rainbow upside down!

Power Poster
    Never too young as long as the interest is there.

It seems unanimous to start whenever there is interest, Both my girls did hand piecing when they were very young. My younger daughter has gone on shop hops and quilt retreats with me. Her grandma bought her a sewing machine for Christmas. The older daughter...not so much. Well, we can't win them all.

Last summer my 3 1/2 yr old DGD helped make her a new summer dress (Mom was not told until after the fact!). She loved helping put the fabric thru for the seam and pushing the "cut" button at the end. She did become bored, but Grandma's button jar cured that. After an hour she modeled the dress for Mommy with the declaration, "I helped Grandma make my new dress!" On this summers visit I will help her make her first quilt!

The younger the better...I would sit and watch my grandma sew from a very early age - after school visiting my grandparents..my grandmother would pass me little scraps and teach me little things and well, my mom says today that it's my Grandmother Irene who I have received all of this sewing and quilting...I LOVE IT!!!! I'm actually the only one in my family who picked it up..... I sure it's thanks to my nan!!!!

For my smallest DGD that is interested in doing everthing,I bought a kit from JoAnn's. It had a plasstic needle and shapes already cut out with small holes around the edges to guide them where to put the needle in. She made a bear, stuffing and embellishments were supplied also. Nancy's notions has a blade that you can put on your rotary cutter that makes the holes. Then you can make you own bears, etc. One of my DGD that went to a Montessouri school made a little pouch like the ones indians have around there necks (Looks like a small change purse.) Hope this helped you some or at least gave you a start. Good luck.

My g-granddaughter is now 5 and she and her mom are making their first quilt (throw) together. I got them some 11-inch minkee and flannel squares. And hooked them up with a great tutorial that missouri star quilt company has available online for making a similar quilt. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/Missouri...29/AR7UeLl24cM
    It is super easy and they are having a blast!

np3
    Blog Entries
    My granddaughter has been sewing on her own Janome Hello Kitty machine since her 5th birthday. She loves sewing with me.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I think it is wonderful that you are teaching her. There are sewing machines out there for children. Perhaps looking into those would be helpful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast