Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Young is Too Young? >

How Young is Too Young?

How Young is Too Young?

Old 07-10-2010, 06:45 PM

Now is a good time -- before grows up & gets too busy.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:24 PM

My 5 year-old great-granddaughter. She drew 4 pictures which I transferred to cloth via the computer.First, I sewed them together. Then I used embroidery thread and told her to point to the spot where she wanted me to insert the needle when it was ready to be quilted. While I controlled this, once the needle was in the fabric, I let her pull it through. Close supervision, but it worked. Needlessly to say, the stitches were big, but with the embroidery thread, it looked rather nice. PS: She didn't let me forget that, according to her, i sewed the pic. with the rainbow upside down!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Power Poster

Never too young as long as the interest is there.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:01 PM

It seems unanimous to start whenever there is interest, Both my girls did hand piecing when they were very young. My younger daughter has gone on shop hops and quilt retreats with me. Her grandma bought her a sewing machine for Christmas. The older daughter...not so much. Well, we can't win them all.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:28 AM

Last summer my 3 1/2 yr old DGD helped make her a new summer dress (Mom was not told until after the fact!). She loved helping put the fabric thru for the seam and pushing the "cut" button at the end. She did become bored, but Grandma's button jar cured that. After an hour she modeled the dress for Mommy with the declaration, "I helped Grandma make my new dress!" On this summers visit I will help her make her first quilt!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:13 AM

The younger the better...I would sit and watch my grandma sew from a very early age - after school visiting my grandparents..my grandmother would pass me little scraps and teach me little things and well, my mom says today that it's my Grandmother Irene who I have received all of this sewing and quilting...I LOVE IT!!!! I'm actually the only one in my family who picked it up..... I sure it's thanks to my nan!!!!
Old 07-11-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I've been asked to volunteer teaching sewing/quilting at my grand-niece and nephews school to replace their dearly loved teacher. It is a Montessori school, ages I believe, are 5-9 or so. I am a little worried-I don't know where to begin. Idon't think they have machines, so it will be all hand-work-which means sewing needles! Any suggestions??? I only had two boys, and no grand-kids yet, so have no experience teaching littlies!
For my smallest DGD that is interested in doing everthing,I bought a kit from JoAnn's. It had a plasstic needle and shapes already cut out with small holes around the edges to guide them where to put the needle in. She made a bear, stuffing and embellishments were supplied also. Nancy's notions has a blade that you can put on your rotary cutter that makes the holes. Then you can make you own bears, etc. One of my DGD that went to a Montessouri school made a little pouch like the ones indians have around there necks (Looks like a small change purse.) Hope this helped you some or at least gave you a start. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:05 PM

My g-granddaughter is now 5 and she and her mom are making their first quilt (throw) together. I got them some 11-inch minkee and flannel squares. And hooked them up with a great tutorial that missouri star quilt company has available online for making a similar quilt. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/Missouri...29/AR7UeLl24cM
It is super easy and they are having a blast!
Old 07-12-2010, 02:30 PM
np3
Power Poster

My granddaughter has been sewing on her own Janome Hello Kitty machine since her 5th birthday. She loves sewing with me.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:40 PM

I think it is wonderful that you are teaching her. There are sewing machines out there for children. Perhaps looking into those would be helpful.