Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HQ Avante 18 >

HQ Avante 18

HQ Avante 18

Old 03-27-2014, 09:14 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Idaho
Posts: 232
Default HQ Avante 18

My first question is-does anyone have an HQ Avante 18? How do you like it? What accessories would you recommend that I get with it? It comes with a ruler base, Red Snappers and 8 foot leaders. I plan to purchase casters for it so I can move it around in my sewing room when I need to use it with the 12 foot table. What accessory or HQ gadget can you not live without?
My second question is-does the QB have a place to advertise machines for sale?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-28-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Cornerstone quilter is offline  
Old 03-28-2014, 02:48 AM
  #2  
Moderator
 
QuiltnNan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
Posts: 51,267
Default

for the sale location, click on Home and then Members Only Thrift Shop and Yard Sale. the second sticky thread listed is the guidelines for selling.
__________________
Nancy in western NY
before you speak T.H.I.N.K. T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.
QuiltnNan is offline  
Old 03-28-2014, 04:30 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
dogsgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 489
Default

Have it and love it. Love the red snappers, rarely use the ruler base. I still consider myself a somewhat experience beginner, but must say I'm really proud of my latest work!
dogsgod is offline  
Old 03-28-2014, 05:21 AM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 1,074
Default

I love my Avante. My table came with casters but I never move it. Versitool(sp? on website) is a handy tool. Have some thread ready but don't get too much till you try different ones. Fix up a learning quilt--I would use a solid color on top so you can see what you are doing--any non-liked piece on the back. When the fabric is full, change color of thread, reload quilt, and practice more comparing your quilting. Wait till you have mastered the machine before you buy lots of tools. See what you need. You do need a small pair of scissors to trim the threads on top as you go so you do not sew them into your pattern. Have a great time!
ka9sdn is offline  
Old 03-28-2014, 05:36 AM
  #5  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: West Coast
Posts: 9,267
Default

I love my Avante. I like the Towa gauge when adjusting bobbin case tension, but I wouldn't say that I couldn't live without it. Just handy for me when changing to different weights of bobbin thread. Especially nice if you wind your own bobbins.

A good angled paintbrush for cleaning the bobbin area is nice too.

I like the tray they sell to hold all your notions as well. Mine came with the machine when I bought it used. I don't know if it is part of the package, but also very handy. It can rest on the bars of the machine. Again not necessary.

I would definitely get or make some longer leaders and some centered measuring tapes to attach to your bars to keep everything aligned to margin. A roll of painter tape is handy and makes good markers as well.
DebraK is offline  
Old 03-29-2014, 10:32 AM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Idaho
Posts: 232
Default

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
for the sale location, click on Home and then Members Only Thrift Shop and Yard Sale. the second sticky thread listed is the guidelines for selling.
Thanks for the directions.
Cornerstone quilter is offline  
Old 03-29-2014, 10:34 AM
  #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Idaho
Posts: 232
Default

Originally Posted by dogsgod View Post
Have it and love it. Love the red snappers, rarely use the ruler base. I still consider myself a somewhat experience beginner, but must say I'm really proud of my latest work!
Thanks for your input. I had considered buying the red snappers to use with my A1 but never did. I consider myself an experienced beginner as well. Hope to spend more time quilting this year and practice, practice, practice!
Cornerstone quilter is offline  
Old 03-29-2014, 10:36 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Idaho
Posts: 232
Default

Originally Posted by ka9sdn View Post
I love my Avante. My table came with casters but I never move it. Versitool(sp? on website) is a handy tool. Have some thread ready but don't get too much till you try different ones. Fix up a learning quilt--I would use a solid color on top so you can see what you are doing--any non-liked piece on the back. When the fabric is full, change color of thread, reload quilt, and practice more comparing your quilting. Wait till you have mastered the machine before you buy lots of tools. See what you need. You do need a small pair of scissors to trim the threads on
top as you go so you do not sew them into your pattern. Have a great time!
Thanks for the great advice! I was considering the versatool, too, even though I have some straight edged tools already. It just seems so handy with the other edges.
Cornerstone quilter is offline  
Old 03-29-2014, 10:39 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Idaho
Posts: 232
Default

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I love my Avante. I like the Towa gauge when adjusting bobbin case tension, but I wouldn't say that I couldn't live without it. Just handy for me when changing to different weights of bobbin thread. Especially nice if you wind your own bobbins.

A good angled paintbrush for cleaning the bobbin area is nice too.

I like the tray they sell to hold all your notions as well. Mine came with the machine when I bought it used. I don't know if it is part of the package, but also very handy. It can rest on the bars of the machine. Again not necessary.

I would definitely get or make some longer leaders and some centered measuring tapes to attach to your bars to keep everything aligned to margin. A roll of painter tape is handy and makes good markers as well.
Yes, I will make some new zippers leaders for the HQ, the ones I made for my A1 will go with it when it sells. I have centering tape measures that I will be keeping and painters tape is a for sure item to have on hand. Thanks so much for the great advice.
Cornerstone quilter is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
daisey
Main
20
09-16-2011 03:15 PM
mdegroot
Main
10
01-21-2011 11:49 AM
sgardner
Main
14
01-03-2011 11:30 AM
Tristan
Main
3
11-19-2010 12:43 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.