Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HQ Avante 18 >

HQ Avante 18

HQ Avante 18

Old 03-27-2014, 09:14 PM

Default HQ Avante 18

My first question is-does anyone have an HQ Avante 18? How do you like it? What accessories would you recommend that I get with it? It comes with a ruler base, Red Snappers and 8 foot leaders. I plan to purchase casters for it so I can move it around in my sewing room when I need to use it with the 12 foot table. What accessory or HQ gadget can you not live without?
My second question is-does the QB have a place to advertise machines for sale?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-28-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:48 AM
Power Poster

for the sale location, click on Home and then Members Only Thrift Shop and Yard Sale. the second sticky thread listed is the guidelines for selling.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:30 AM

Have it and love it. Love the red snappers, rarely use the ruler base. I still consider myself a somewhat experience beginner, but must say I'm really proud of my latest work!
Old 03-28-2014, 05:21 AM

I love my Avante. My table came with casters but I never move it. Versitool(sp? on website) is a handy tool. Have some thread ready but don't get too much till you try different ones. Fix up a learning quilt--I would use a solid color on top so you can see what you are doing--any non-liked piece on the back. When the fabric is full, change color of thread, reload quilt, and practice more comparing your quilting. Wait till you have mastered the machine before you buy lots of tools. See what you need. You do need a small pair of scissors to trim the threads on top as you go so you do not sew them into your pattern. Have a great time!
Old 03-28-2014, 05:36 AM

I love my Avante. I like the Towa gauge when adjusting bobbin case tension, but I wouldn't say that I couldn't live without it. Just handy for me when changing to different weights of bobbin thread. Especially nice if you wind your own bobbins.

A good angled paintbrush for cleaning the bobbin area is nice too.

I like the tray they sell to hold all your notions as well. Mine came with the machine when I bought it used. I don't know if it is part of the package, but also very handy. It can rest on the bars of the machine. Again not necessary.

I would definitely get or make some longer leaders and some centered measuring tapes to attach to your bars to keep everything aligned to margin. A roll of painter tape is handy and makes good markers as well.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
for the sale location, click on Home and then Members Only Thrift Shop and Yard Sale. the second sticky thread listed is the guidelines for selling.
Thanks for the directions.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by dogsgod View Post
Have it and love it. Love the red snappers, rarely use the ruler base. I still consider myself a somewhat experience beginner, but must say I'm really proud of my latest work!
Thanks for your input. I had considered buying the red snappers to use with my A1 but never did. I consider myself an experienced beginner as well. Hope to spend more time quilting this year and practice, practice, practice!
Old 03-29-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by ka9sdn View Post
I love my Avante. My table came with casters but I never move it. Versitool(sp? on website) is a handy tool. Have some thread ready but don't get too much till you try different ones. Fix up a learning quilt--I would use a solid color on top so you can see what you are doing--any non-liked piece on the back. When the fabric is full, change color of thread, reload quilt, and practice more comparing your quilting. Wait till you have mastered the machine before you buy lots of tools. See what you need. You do need a small pair of scissors to trim the threads on
top as you go so you do not sew them into your pattern. Have a great time!
Thanks for the great advice! I was considering the versatool, too, even though I have some straight edged tools already. It just seems so handy with the other edges.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I love my Avante. I like the Towa gauge when adjusting bobbin case tension, but I wouldn't say that I couldn't live without it. Just handy for me when changing to different weights of bobbin thread. Especially nice if you wind your own bobbins.

A good angled paintbrush for cleaning the bobbin area is nice too.

I like the tray they sell to hold all your notions as well. Mine came with the machine when I bought it used. I don't know if it is part of the package, but also very handy. It can rest on the bars of the machine. Again not necessary.

I would definitely get or make some longer leaders and some centered measuring tapes to attach to your bars to keep everything aligned to margin. A roll of painter tape is handy and makes good markers as well.
Yes, I will make some new zippers leaders for the HQ, the ones I made for my A1 will go with it when it sells. I have centering tape measures that I will be keeping and painters tape is a for sure item to have on hand. Thanks so much for the great advice.