Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HQ - Will it fit? >

HQ - Will it fit?

HQ - Will it fit?

Old 02-14-2018, 08:32 AM

Default HQ - Will it fit?

I have been contemplating the HQ Simply Sixteen and Little Foot Frame for a few months. I've rearranged my craft/sewing room to accommodate it. The HQ website says it needs 4 X 5 feet of floor space. Does anyone know if that means it actually takes up that amount of space or if it needs that much room to walk around? Can it fit in a 3 X 5 foot space when it is not in use? I really want this set up, but I don't want to be frustrated with a cramped space when it isn't in use. This will be my first machine purchase of this type, and I'm really afraid of having buyers remorse. I've been to my LQS several times and know it is the one I want. It's just hard to envision it in my space. Thanks for any input you can offer.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:23 AM

Take a measurement of your room. I found a website that said the frame is 5 feet long(gave no widith). Take width and length measurements and add at least 2 feet(minimum) on at least three sides(you can probably put one end against a wall if desired) and compare these figures to the size of your space. I don't see wheels so whether you can move it when it is not in use would depend on the weight of the setup with machine and type of flooring and whether you could slide it around easily. Your dealer should be able to answer these questions for you.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:50 AM

Just played with this machine and frame at LQS yesterday and must say I was impressed. That being said I do think you will need to have a space at least 4' X 5' to set this up. It looks like it would take up that much space even when not in use. I fell in love with set up but need to get my sewing table put together and set up before I will know how much room would be left for the frame. Agree with selm that you should measure your space and get measurement of frame and compare, I'm going to use painters tape and layout size of frame on floor to see if it will fit before I buy then I can see if it will actually fit my space. Would love to hear from you if you do buy. I really wanted to walk out the door with it after I played.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:41 AM

Call Handiquilter.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:38 AM

https://vw-handiquilter.storage.goog...ales-Sheet.pdf

The link above is to the brochure for the machine. If you scroll down you will see that the machine and table take up 4x5 feet. You will need additional room to operate it. I do not know that you can use it effectively if you cannot move around at least three sides of the machine and table.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:26 PM

I have the BabyLock equivalent; the frame is 4' x 5' and they suggest having about another 2 feet on each side so you can walk around it.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:57 PM

Take painters tape and mark out areas on the floor to get an idea.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:59 AM

I have the original HQ16 which is larger. It just fits into an alcove in my room on 3 sides. I do not like pantos so never have to get behind it. I don't need to get by the ends either. If it needs service you are just taking the machine part. I have had this set up for at least 8 years and it has worked out just fine for me.

Not sure if this is a similar set up???
Old 02-18-2018, 11:03 AM

I have seen several of these frames pop up on Craigslist. It is great that it fits in half of the space of a traditional frame, however you will still need to baste your quilt before it can go on the frame. For me, that was a huge issue when i got my king size bed. In my case, the 12 foot frame takes up less space than I would need to baste my quilt on a floor somewhere.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:17 PM

I got it! I ordered it through my LQS, and it came yesterday via UPS. My LQS owner came today and set it up. I had taped off the space I thought it would need and MDH rigged up a 5 foot piece of PVC pipe on a small table to give a more visual idea. The machine and frame take up just about exactly what I anticipated. I piddled on it all evening. I’m super thrilled. Clearly there’s lots of practice in my future. ��. I’m very pleased with my decision.