Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Humble pie >

Humble pie

Humble pie

Old 09-25-2011, 04:29 AM

My dear friend just made a quilt with Hobbs Thermore batting from her stash. It drapes nicely and feels very nice! Any opinions on this one? She has decided to buy more
Old 09-25-2011, 04:30 AM

I use poly batting all the time. I hand quilt so it is easier on my hands and the traditional weight comes out just as nice as the cotton that I can rarely afford anyway.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

there are many wonderful batts on the market- from all kinds of fibers other than cotton- maybe it's time to start trying some of them- it will open a whole new world for you -and take your quilting to a new level.
my absolute favorite is Dream Wool-
the dream poly is wonderful to work with- dream green- very nice-
dream orient, bamboo- hobbs heirloom 80/20, so many to choose from and try-
it's kind of sad when someone has (tunnel vision) they miss out on so many great things
Old 09-25-2011, 04:45 AM

I've used the poly batting from the start because my family doesn't like heavy quilts & it's more affordable for me. I enjoy working with it & my quilts have come out beautiful. I'm working with Hobbs Cotton batting now I got on sale & like that too. It basically depends on the project for me which I like best.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:08 AM

This is what I have been told about poly & cotton batt. I am no expert, but this informations has helped me plan my quilts.
Poly Batt does not breathe much and the body heat is reflected--therefore, it tends to feel 'warmer'.
Cotton or Cotton Blend Batt breathes, letting some of the body heat escape.

I tend to think of the batting as to where the quilt is going to live, example:
Hot Climate=Cotton or Cotton Blend, Cold Climate=Poly or Cotton, and have used both in a couple of quilts.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by ponyriver
This is what I have been told about poly & cotton batt. I am no expert, but this informations has helped me plan my quilts.
Poly Batt does not breathe much and the body heat is reflected--therefore, it tends to feel 'warmer'.
Cotton or Cotton Blend Batt breathes, letting some of the body heat escape.

I tend to think of the batting as to where the quilt is going to live, example:
Hot Climate=Cotton or Cotton Blend, Cold Climate=Poly or Cotton, and have used both in a couple of quilts.

this doesn't make sense to me - if you look at a poly batt you can see light through it. Cotton batts look denser to me.

Both work in the same way, having a layer of air trapped in the batt, that acts as insulation. Same way the insulation in your walls works.
Poly fibers do not absorb water the way natural fibers do, this is why quilts dry so fast with poly, and one of the reasons I like poly. I don't have a dryer so have to dry on the line on a sunny day.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:35 AM

I have always used poly. But recently I bought an 80/20 batt. I don't like it very well so will use up the scraps in hot pads. I like some loft in my quilts and cotton has no loft. I'm a hand quilter and the poly quilts easier. We like warm, light weight quilts.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:27 AM
Banned

Yep, the poly batting have come a long way. There are some nice ones available these days.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:57 AM
mim

I hand quilt so I prefer poly batting -- but the big reason for me is that it doesn't shrink at all when washed. I like my quilts to be unwrinkled and smooth.

Most people seem to like the vintage wrinkle look.

I tell the recipient that if their quilt isn't worn out in 25 years, they didn't love it to pieces. -- That makes them relax and not be afraid to really enjoy their quilt -- Mim