Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This hurt my feelings >

This hurt my feelings

This hurt my feelings

Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 PM

I would have been upset to. You are right she has no clue so maybe you should save your reciets and hand them to her one time then tell her "Yep I did save a bunch But mom's well worth all my time and thought. To bad you only take 30 minutes at best to figure out what to buy!" "I have several days to think about how she will enjoy my gift"
Old 03-11-2010, 07:47 PM

Wow! I make 30.00/hr... I feel that my time is very valuable... and so is yours!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:26 PM

Lets be honest here. Clueless and ignorant! I had someone tell me after looking at my newly finished Indian Orange Peel (current profile pic) that I should make more and sell them at the local churches craft shows. Over 3,000 pieces, a couple or a few hundred in fabric and all the hours spent. I too felt insulted but had to figure the person was just ignorant of what goes into making a quilt!
PS: I would not be making her a quilt............ever!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:30 PM

Just pray for her... and pray and pray... Your work is so valuable!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I've always assumed that when people said, "Oh you're one of those", that they were referring to extremely talented, creative and intelligent individuals that they'd only seen pictures of.
I mean, they'd have to be, right?
I'm not sure how to interpret remarks that sounds almost like in insult to my quilting and to all quilters. My comment to her was: "And, you don't have any hobbies?" Silence

We as quilters are talented, creative and intelligent. Remarks that hurt our feelings have to be from jealous people that speak before thinking. :D
Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 PM

Ditto!
Old 03-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Banned

Im so sorry you got hurt. I crochet self taught in that. made husbands grandpa a afgan for Christmas he opened it looked at it and then at my husbands aunt and said oh another blanket. I never made another one for him.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:12 AM

It sounds like she is a member of the material youth of today. The Throw away people as I call them. Why make something when you can buy it people. They have no concept of the meaning or cost of something because they just go out and buy it and if it breaks they can just go out and buy another one. Therefore, nothing is special and nothing holds any sentimental meaning to them. I am young myself, at least I consider myself young, and it makes me sick that this is what our society is coming too. Just sad. Materialism that is what it is. It is what our economy is based on and what our youth is brought up on. Sad but true.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:24 AM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

I'm sorry you were hurt. If only she knew how many people would LOVE to have a handmade quilt made with love and will never get one! When I figured out the amount of money I spent just on fabric and thread for the first queen size quilt I made for one of my sons was about $350, but he and his wife love the quilt. Our time is worth more than anyone can tally. Some people just don't engage brain before mouth unfortunately.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:36 AM

I never refer to quilting as a "hobby". My husband flies RC planes---I call it his hobby because it accomplishes nothing more than bringing him pleasure--which is okay. But quilting is a craft, a skill, an art form, or a job (even though it's enjoyable) because when you're done you have something useful for anyone. :-D