Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • This hurt my feelings >
  • This hurt my feelings

• This hurt my feelings

Old 03-09-2010, 04:17 PM
    Power Poster

Your husband should have busted out laughing about the "low cost factor" of quilting. That is hilarious. My mom comments about the fact that I cut perfectly good yardage into pieces and sew it back together. (But she says it jokingly).

Will your MIL love the quilt? Will she love it BECAUSE it came from you and was made with love? If those questions can be answered with a resounding YES, then don't worry about what your SIL thinks or says. She is clueless and sounds like she will not get a wonderful quilt from you. Her loss!
    Old 03-09-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by jljquilter
    Those who don't get it don't get quilts again.
    Ditto. My sister b**ched and moaned about how she wanted a quilt, needed a quilt, the world would end unless she got a quilt. I made her a small quilt for the foot of her bed (about 8" x 32") and please note, this was me guessing on what to do since I'd never taken a class on how to quilt.

Well, she didn't like it, crumbled it up, because she wanted a "real" quilt. Made her one. She loved it. A week later, crumbled on the floor. 2 weeks later, crumbled up behind her door (she is like this with all items made of any fabric... lord help her clothes). 3 weeks later, freshly washed, ironed, and folded ... at my house with my quilts.
    Old 03-09-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by amma
    I was thinking the other day how it USED to be that you could sew clothing and other items much cheaper than the same store bought items... I think that same train of thought is embedded into many people's brains.... They probably never go to any fabric store, so they are totally clueless what fabric, batting, patterns and notions cost.
    First time I went into a LQS (it was my friend's mom, the shop had just opened), I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the price on the bolts. $8/yard?! Only a crazy person would pay that. Well, fast forward 6 months or so and I was addicted. So I agree that part is people just not understanding the cost. Especially if they've looked at WalMart or Joanns where it's a few dollars/yd. All in the reference point.
    Old 03-09-2010, 04:41 PM

My B-I-L is a clueless wonder too! I made a quilt for his eldest son for Christmas and also made another one for his brother's son. Not bad for one year I thought! I decided to make quilts for each nephew or niece when they are 10 or so and their interests have progressed beyond Barbie dolls and dinosaurs... ANYHOW.... Christmas morning when we visited, B-I-L was admiring the quilt and blurted out, "Why didn't you make one for each one of them?" HELLO! You have FOUR children! You think I can make a quilt in a few hours!!!? AND you think I can afford 100+ $$ for each child's gift!? You're nuts buddy!
    Old 03-09-2010, 05:43 PM

Some people are just not quilt worthy. I don't waste my time with them. They are clueless, however I think I would have given her a "lesson" on my "cheap" gift by telling her the price of fabric, how much is in the quilt, cost of equipment and how much time is involved. And ask her if that sounds cheap to her.
    Old 03-09-2010, 06:31 PM

Oh goodness.. please practice rolling your eyes so you can give it to her next time--a grand roll. :-D

There is nothing like a quilt--a form of art made with love and given so someone can be covered in your loving stitches... she knows that. :wink:
    Old 03-09-2010, 09:11 PM
    Power Poster

That's so sad. She is clueless.
    Old 03-09-2010, 09:38 PM

I don't think I would make one for her.

Blessings,

Sharon
    Old 03-09-2010, 10:53 PM

These stories remind me of a recent Christmas. I made 2 log cabin stars, one for each DS in their favorite colors. Long hours were involved - you know the amount of time a quilt takes. The DS who quilts herself LOVED hers. The other one promptly placed it over a side table and set her coffee cup on it. I was speechless. I don't make them for her anymore.
    Old 03-10-2010, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by sewsilly
    These stories remind me of a recent Christmas. I made 2 log cabin stars, one for each DS in their favorite colors. Long hours were involved - you know the amount of time a quilt takes. The DS who quilts herself LOVED hers. The other one promptly placed it over a side table and set her coffee cup on it. I was speechless. I don't make them for her anymore.
    Oh my gosh! That made my stomach do flip flops. A coffee cup? I'd I picked up my quilt right there and said "sorry what was I thinking that's for someone else."