Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husbands peves >

Husbands peves

Husbands peves

Old 04-30-2007, 07:32 AM

My husband doesn't say too much about my quilting. We reach a state of impass. His big question is How come I can't get you to iron a shirt but you can spend hours and hours ironing your material? I looked him straight in the eye and said its needs me more then you do.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:49 AM

My husband doesn't say too much anymore now that I'm making money quilting!!! But he doesn't understand why I can't mend his shirts or pants for him since I'm always sitting at my sewing machine!! He just doesn't understand how different it is.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:50 AM

I thought the improvements in fabric was to enable one to not have to spend hours ironing items of clothing....isn't that what Permanent Press means? LOL
Old 04-30-2007, 09:22 AM

My husband doesn't say much about my hobby esp. when I remind him of the cost of his Flying fees, golf fees and the cost of his keyboards! He has three expensive hobbies!!!!! He is a private pilot, golfer and his first love and Profession for years , a keyboardist and vocalist, songwriter...blues and jazz...I saved him from the pits of hell ( so to speak) on this one :lol:
We had a wild life there for awhile....but, boy was it fun!!!! :lol: Now he writes and records occasionally. Anyways,
we are now humble, live small, but extremely happy and content! So when he gets out of hand on my fabric spending, I just sweetly whisper in his ear...Planes, golf and music...his eyes glaze over for just enough time, to forget that I even sew!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:30 AM

I'm starting to notice my candy stash moving to the computer room. Funny I didn't realize little Hershey bars had legs. But then, his pants seem to just walk themselves into my room and layout across my chair. Seems like an evil trade to me, I get warn out pants to fix and he gets my good candy.

But my biggest complaint has to be getting a call at work asking where something is. Then I hear "I've gone thru all the drawers in your room." Other than the candy stash I have no secrets from him, but it'd save time if he just called first. Why does he think EVERYTHING is in my room??

Old 04-30-2007, 10:21 AM

I can honestly say my DH is quite ok with and supportive of my hobby... as long as I don't cut up his "good shirts" to put in my stash (even if the button placket is almost threadbare). I have only cut up one of his shirts and he never missed it- until he saw the sleeve in my fabric & thread "trash" bucket 6 months after the fact!! :lol: I was almost laughing too hard to explain that I had run out of muslin (at midnight) and needed just one more 10" square, and his (worn out) cotton shirt fit the bill perfectly!! Now, anytime he can't find a particular clothing item he asks if he has been sleeping under it without knowing... I just shrug & say "You never know..." :lol: Seriously though, it is all in fun. He knows I am more interested in buying new fabric than new clothes, so he doesn't worry. He has gotten to the point where he will ask me if I want or need to stop at the quilt shop while we're out, and he has even gone inside with me... once. He never asks how long I will be in there, how much I spent, or what I plan to do with "that", and he never has. His hobbies are fishing and electronics, neither of which does he take the road of lesser expense, and I have never been one to complain about it, so I guess he is returning the favor. Whatever the reason, I can't complain.

He does have this one shirt though... :lol: j/k
Old 04-30-2007, 10:24 AM

Biggest complaint from mine is that it keeps me from spending as much time with him as he would like. So, I do some of my painting and quilting in the same room with him in the evenings. In fact, he even bought me a drafting chair and built a painting table the proper height for the chair to be sure I'd be comfortable. I think it's sweet that he still wants to spend time with me after all of these years.

He plays pool and with his Model A Ford, and I play crafts! Hmmm, wonder which one is more expensive.....

By the way, he loved his Confederate Battleflag Quilt.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:58 PM

I know how nice that can be...my sewing table and my husbands keyboards are in the same room....I'm always begging him to play for me while I sew.....while we both do our thing we are still close enough to look over to one another....and smile at each other...forgetting all the troubles of the day........
Old 04-30-2007, 12:59 PM

Nina...what's rockhounding?
Old 04-30-2007, 01:40 PM

Rockhounding is going out and searching for different kinds of rocks, minerals and gems and finding them in their rough form. You cut, polish, etc. them.

Also includes looking for fossils. We are going for fossils and peridots in New Mexico this summer - have gotten beautiful agates, sunstones, quarts clusters, sunburns, blisters, cool fossils, opalized wood, and some other fun things so far. Next summer we are going for fire opal and trilobites further north since I won't be on a time schedule anymore.

It's sometimes - well, usually - work, but always fun. And, you are in spots where you can do some really superb stargazing!