Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husqvarna Viking Ruby >

Husqvarna Viking Ruby

Husqvarna Viking Ruby

Old 10-17-2010, 08:59 AM

I have a Viking Designer 1 I have had for 11 years. With no problems at all. Three months ago I upgraded to the Designer Diamond. I am real happy with it. I was told the Ruby sewed just like it. That the difference was that the Diamond had a few extra upgrades. I would not buy anything except a Viking.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:49 AM

I had a Husqvarna Fresia 425 which was a simple Vinking but it was made in Sweden. (The real cheapies are made in Mexico or wherever). I loved it, if Husqvarna's weren't so expensive I would consider them I just can't justify the price. I bought a Bernina 440QEE and LOVE it. I don't know anyone who has a Bernina and doesn't like it. I bought a $169 Janome for classes and sewing groups and I LOVE it for the little it does. Several of the ladies in the guild have a Janome for their quilting/embroidery and they love them as I am sure they are the same quality my little drag around machine is.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:59 AM

I don't have the Ruby but I have 'test driven' it and I really do like it. I have a Viking Lily and a Viking Rose. I intend to do a major upgrade next year...after we are finished paying DDs private university tuition and for her summer wedding. Unless they come out with something different between now and then, the Ruby is probably what I will get. I like Viking machines very much.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:49 PM

I am leaning very heavily towards the Ruby....just want to make sure that I won't regret not getting a long arm and frame system...
Those of you that have the HQ's....do you do all your quilting on them, or also have long arms? (or take them to long arm quilters?)
Old 10-22-2010, 05:58 AM

I ended up getting the Ruby a couple of days ago! I love it! My dealer threw in the 200x200 Quilter's Hoop, a cd of 1000 Dakota Designs, and a bunch of thread cones! I ordered some software of quilt borders and block designs and she will be givnig me lessons teaching me how to do my own designs as well.
I've only begun to work on it, but am very excited! I'm ready to finish my current quilt top and begin quilting!!
Thanks for all the comments and advice!
..oh....also, my dealer has a customer that may be selling her Mega Quilter and frame in a couple months for a very good price, so who knows!? ;-)
Old 08-24-2012, 04:38 AM

Karyl, sorry to bump this but I got a Ruby around the same time, just wondering what dealer you went to down in Kanap. I'm in Salisbury and went to Clemmons.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:41 AM

I only have a viking emerald, but I love it so far. Just bought it last December. Love the walking presser foot for sewing on one side of the binding. Glad that I spent the extra money on the presser foot. Good luck with your future purchase, no matter what it is.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:07 AM

I have had my Viking Ruby for almost a yr so far. I love, love love it. I've done lots of embroidery on it. I was afraid of doing the FMQ after reading everyong on here. A few months ago I took a short class at a quilt show on the Ruby and was amazed at how easy it is. It's just another reason why I'm happy that I went with the Ruby. The new interchangeable walking foot is like nothing else. You can go forward, backwards, zigzag, etc, with this one walking foot. It isn't tempermental with thread. I use Aurifil mostly but I started doing that well before I got my Ruby and then was told when I got my Viking Mega quilter that it was recommended. I also use Connecting Threads, Coats n Clarks and a lot of different embroidery threads and it handles it great. I have never in the past yr messed with the tension; it's automatic for the most part. They did so many great upgrades from the Topaz and then there are so many different hoops that you won't get bored. One of my favorite things to do is useing the cutwork needles; it makes cutwork so easy and really gives a wow factor. If I could do it all over again; I'd buy the same machine. I look forward to driving the hour after work once a month for my free embroidery club. In Sept I'll be taking two software classes and 1 club but it's so worth it. I'm always learning more things that keeps me excited. You won't be disappointed if you go with the Ruby.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:00 AM

I love my Ruby too- I have FMQ with no problem at all, I haven't ventured into the cutwork needles, but I picked them up. I don't regret that purchase at all!

I wish the bobbin held more thread (its the usual size) thats all I can think of!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by SevenupinNC View Post
I love my Ruby too- I have FMQ with no problem at all, I haven't ventured into the cutwork needles, but I picked them up. I don't regret that purchase at all!

I wish the bobbin held more thread (its the usual size) thats all I can think of!
You should try the cutwork needles they are lots of fun. Last month's free design from Viking was a cutwork table runner. There were a lot of us wanting to learn so our teacher made a special class just for cutwork. It's really easy and I love watching those needles cut the fabric. My grandson thinks it magic. It was one of the deciding factors too when I was deciding which version of 5D I wanted, 5D pro lets me create the cutwork designs, along with other things but that surely helped sway me over. If you take classes see if your teacher will do a class on it. If not there are tutes on the internet as well as the CD that came with your needles.

I agree about the bobbins size too but I can deal with that when I get so much enjoyment out of it.