Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I almost had a heart attack! >

I almost had a heart attack!

I almost had a heart attack!

Old 09-09-2014, 01:09 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Yep that is one reason the few quilts stores that were here have gone out of business ... The high cost of cotton and the higher cost of a LQS that they tack on to sell to the consumer ...
Old 09-09-2014, 01:22 PM

I've been seeing the prices creeping up over $10 even at Joann's...quilt shops are already over $10. I'm shopping more and more on line and only in clearance.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:56 PM

Truly, I cannot afford $15 a yard and up. I am on a fixed income, unless I'm unable to work and the income goes down. It's never going to go up. I shop a lot at WalMart. They do have a lot of good quilting cotton, and their prices are generally less than $6-$7 a yard, depending on what you buy. I am careful in my choices, because I don't want to put all that work into a quilt or any other item using fabric that will fall apart. Of course, my projects number smaller because I still work (or try to work) full-time, so I have less time to quilt or any kind of craft projects. I am slow at making quilts -- I do quilts only for family, so I know I could never make a living out of doing quilts for others for pay. I'm not complaining, because I know there are so many who are worse off financially. The fabric prices are getting out of reach and out of all reason. The only thing I know to do is shop wisely and be frugal! That's how our ancestors survived, and that's how we will survive, too! Keep on quilting, wisely!

Jeanette
Old 09-09-2014, 10:48 PM

In UK we have prices ranging from £10 - £20 a metre for years. I admit yours have gone up . It used to be easy and beneficial to buy fabric from USA . Now adays with higher fabric price and the higher delivery it makes no difference. A metre is roughly 4" longer than a yard.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Being on a fixed income I just can't afford the price of fabric most of the time. I would hazard a guess that at least 75% of my stash has come from thrift stores and yard sales. Very good bargains to be found if you look for them. In my area the best thrift stores for fabric/sewing/craft things are the ones near retirement complexes or developments.

Cari
Cari, I completely agree with you. Just this week, I ventured to Long Island's north shore to walk thru a quilt shop I have been wanting to visit. I knew they would be pricey, but Holy Moly!! I only shop better neighborhood yard/estate sales and thrift shops. I have come upon many great bargains which have been very beneficial to my stash growth.... Happy hunting!
Old 09-10-2014, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
Went up to Los Angeles for a mini-vacation with my BFF and she took me to a fabric shop. Beautiful modern fabrics, but most of them were over $18 per yard!! I couldn't believe it! They did have a $5 shelf and I was able to get a few yards there. Sheesh!
The LQS has been over priced in my opinion, I don't make heirloom quilts so I avoid them.
Wal Mart, Joanns and Hobby Lobby are good enough for my quilts. I give away most of the quilts I make. The ones I keep for my own use will out live me and that is all I care about.
Buy what you want or can afford.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:49 AM

Iclang said it for me too!! Even Savers has gone up almost out of my $ range. I only go there on Senior discount(30)off days! It's heck when you are 71 & can remember when fabric was 99 cents a yard but I didn't quilt then either.But I sure know how to bone a shirt!! LOL
Old 09-10-2014, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
Time to start shopping at the thrift stores and finding nearly new cotton clothing to use in quilts. Hooray for square dancing skirts!
I would want to wear the square dance skirts. And my favorite skirts are made of poly- cotton. They wash easily and line dry with no ironing needed.
But I have put poly-cotton into my quilts. Have no qualms about that.
Even though our club is really growing, most of them wear fewer and fewer skirts every year; I'm a hold-out. I think the skirt is part of the dance. Someday I suppose I'll have to make quilts out of my skirts, too. They really don't wear out much.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by llweezie View Post
Guess I will be looking for a new hobby!
Say it ain't sew, llweezie! :-)
Old 09-10-2014, 07:00 AM

I just paid $13 per yard for some fleur de lis fabric in Slidell, LA. Will make beautiful aprons.