Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I almost had a heart attack! >

I almost had a heart attack!

I almost had a heart attack!

Old 09-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chooklady View Post
I can get 10 fat quarters for $16....or £12 here in the UK.... is that good??
That's very good.

Cari
Old 09-10-2014, 11:55 AM

insane!!!!!
Old 09-10-2014, 12:00 PM

Onebyone -- do you care to tell us where you shop for fabric? Thanks
Old 09-10-2014, 02:40 PM

I bought 63 yards of top quality fabric for about $1 per yard. Of course, the air fair was a lot.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by maxnme01 View Post
If anyone is ever in So. Calif. in the Orange County Area (Disneyland, Knox Berry Farm) there's an amazing fabric store a stones throw from there. There fabric starts at about $2.49 a yd. A great of it is flat folds that are stacked HIGH, but they have fabric on bolts too. This is a great road trip but take lots of money. You won't be sorry.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/m-and-l-fabr...-store-anaheim
I lived in The Disneyland area for 3 years and then moved to El Toro/Irvine area. I used to shop frequently at M&L Fabrics. In the early 80's fabrics were $1.50 a yard and up. I wasn't a quilter yet, but made garments. I don't know how long they've been there, I really liked their selection of fabrics; great prices too.
Sharon in Texas(former s.CA beach bunny)
Old 09-10-2014, 02:45 PM

I bought 63 yards of high quality fabric for $1 per yard. of course, air fair was a lot. next time I will take more lugggage
Old 09-10-2014, 03:03 PM

Yes some prices are very high, I was looking for cotton velveteen at a store in San Francisco and some of the prices were upwards of $70 - $85 a yard..............needless to say I only was able to pick up a quarter yard
Old 09-10-2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
Time to start shopping at the thrift stores and finding nearly new cotton clothing to use in quilts.
Hooray for square dancing skirts!
I had to laugh! I went to a yard sale and found a skirt in shades of red-just the color I needed for a table runner! And those square dancing dresses have yards of fabric in them.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:12 PM

Wow, that's crazy. My LQSs all have decent sale racks, but regular prices are only a little more than half that. One shop, in Claremont NH, sells all their fabrics at $8.50 except batiks which are $10. They make more money on doing quilting for people, so they sell low and earn by their service. If people make more quilts, they need more quilting done. They have an increasing supply of good MQ thread too. I agree, if folks don't go to the shop you describe, they might have to lower their excessive prices.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:50 AM

llweezie - NOOOOOO, don't give up this wonderful hobby! Many ways to get fabric cheaper, yard sales (which I have YET to have any luck at), thrift stores (same goes, never find anything), sale fabrics at LQS, sale fabrics here on the boards, people getting rid of fabrics here.

ManiacQuilter2 - LOVE M&L fabrics.

Sewnoma - Beverly's sounds like a great place. Customer service. I'm always so pleasantly surprised when I have a better than average customer service experience. Good customer service is now, unfortunately, the exception rather than the rule.

Jratcliff - unfortunately the high batik markups don't appear to benefit the workers at all.

I guess the prices will make us all appreciate what we have more, and be more conscientious when buying.