Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I am about 2 seconds from going back to sewing doll clothes

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    It will get better!!! I promise!!!

I have quilted a couple hundred quilts, at least 24 of them were queens and the majority large lap/twin size all on my regular sized sewing machine!!!
    You can do it. Now, my quilting is not fancy, it is my least favorite part and I sure am tired and sore when I am wrestling a queen size on the machine but it can be done.
    My dream is to some day own a Long Arm machine. As of yet, I have never sent out a quilt to be "quilted" for me.
    I bow to you casting dozens of roses in utter admiration. :-D

LMB
    Jims Gem/ You are a Gem. I am the little train...I think I can, I think I can...

LMB
    Yes, roses and a bottle of wine. I said with great admiration!

I loved making doll clothes!

Blog Entries
    At the same time, not every aspect of quilting comes easy for every quilter. I love machine applique, but don't like hand quilting. It might be that you just aren't one to do your own machine quilting, but you are probably excellent at piecing or picking out colors or teaching others or something else and machine quilting just isn't your cup of tea. The good thing about that is there there are a ton of long arm quilters ready willing and able to do that for you on their fancy machines. Don't be discouraged, but rather focus on what you're great at! :thumbup:

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    That's why I love to hand quilt. It's on the frame and off my body. LOL. The larger ones go to a longarmer. ROFL. I can see you wrestling with that quilting cat-bear. Love your quilt.

NO, No No, don't admire me!! My quilting is not that great. But it gets done, most of the time. Though most of my UFO's are quilts waiting to get quilted. I am not good a deciding the best way to quilt something and I usually pick a fairly easy way to quilt it (ie diagonal quilting, along the ditch with a fancy stitch, all over meanders etc)

LMB
    Oh yeah it was a riot. I am so glad my husband didnt have a video camera... he stuck his head in the door a couple of times and laughed at me... finally I threw one of my shoes at him and he left for good. It was all in good fun.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    NO, No No, don't admire me!! My quilting is not that great. But it gets done, most of the time. Though most of my UFO's are quilts waiting to get quilted. I am not good a deciding the best way to quilt something and I usually pick a fairly easy way to quilt it (ie diagonal quilting, along the ditch with a fancy stitch, all over meanders etc)
    It's the layering that drags me down... I'd never get it quilted by stuffing it under my machine (and mine has a 9" throat!) without a field of puckers as a result.

LMB
    Not admire you?... from where I am right now... getting it done is just about the best thing in the whole world! LOL

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LMB
    Oh yeah it was a riot. I am so glad my husband didnt have a video camera... he stuck his head in the door a couple of times and laughed at me... finally I threw one of my shoes at him and he left for good. It was all in good fun.
    Well--maybe you could consider it a work out--you worked up a good sweat, right? There you go, no sit-ups or jogging needed for today. :lol:

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    oh my goodness! Even from that tiny photo I can tell that your quilt-making gifts are special. Oh don't give it up. Your eye for color is a Gift (& one I do not possess). Your frustration may motivate the eventual purchase of a Long Arm. wouldn't That be fun? :-)

LMB
    It's the layering that drags me down... I'd never get it quilted by stuffing it under my machine (and mine has a 9" throat!) without a field of puckers as a result.[/quote]

Well that makes me feel better because mine has a 7" throat and darn it I did it.

Layering is not my favorite part either. But I have wonderful husband who just happens to have the keys to our church which is walking distance from the house. We go over there, push together tables and he helps me spray baste all my quilts. He's so good at it that he's even done quite a few of them with me just watching because my shoulder wasn't working to well at the time.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LMB
    It's the layering that drags me down... I'd never get it quilted by stuffing it under my machine (and mine has a 9" throat!) without a field of puckers as a result.
    Well that makes me feel better because mine has a 7" throat and darn it I did it.[/quote]

Well then, see..you can kiss those doll clothes good-bye! By the way, I would NEVER be able to make those!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Layering is not my favorite part either. But I have wonderful husband who just happens to have the keys to our church which is walking distance from the house. We go over there, push together tables and he helps me spray baste all my quilts. He's so good at it that he's even done quite a few of them with me just watching because my shoulder wasn't working to well at the time.
    That is awesome. Give him a kiss on both cheeks from me--for being so terrific. Space is important.

LMB
    Quote Originally Posted by sewTinker
    oh my goodness! Even from that tiny photo I can tell that your quilt-making gifts are special. Oh don't give it up. Your eye for color is a Gift (& one I do not possess). Your frustration may motivate the eventual purchase of a Long Arm. wouldn't That be fun? :-)
    Oh please, no praise for the colors... I didnt know if I could even do a quilt, so I picked materials that I had left over from making doll clothes... scraps. I didnt want to waste good material and find out I had a big mess that would go into the trash... but thank you for your kudos anyway... I would love to have a long arm, but on a fixed income I dont see one in my future... unless the kids take pity on me. hahahahaha

Blog Entries
    Will it ever get easier? Not so sure how to answer that because it IS a heavy sandwich you are lugging around, but it's all a matter of perspective. I would rather wrestle with the quilt grizzly than spend time fiddeling with those teeny pieces of doll clothing. So there - one woman's salvation is another's purgatory.

Just hang in there or pay someone to finish it for you.

LMB
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    That is awesome. Give him a kiss on both cheeks from me--for being so terrific. Space is important.
    What a sweetheart! The good ones are hard to find, and if you do, hold on to them tight!

He is a sweetheart!! I do plan on keeping him. Coming up on 31 years in May!!!

Karla, I kissed him on both cheeks for you and then he wanted one on the lips from me!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Karla, I kissed him on both cheeks for you and then he wanted one on the lips from me!!!
    Perfect--I'm always careful to be 100% appropriate...so you just go back to what you were doing and have fun with your man. :wink:

LMB
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum

Perfect--I'm always careful to be 100% appropriate...so you just go back to what you were doing and have fun with your man. :wink:
    LOL :oops:

I think your quilt looks great! the first quilt I did was simple blocks, but mostly quilt as you go. I wrestled only a little with that one. Then I made a twin sized on for my DH and decided to FMQ it...Oh Dear Lord! Wrestle!!!! Sweat!!!! Tears!!!! But DH liked it and uses it almost every night in his recliner (even in the summer). But it does get easier. I made one for my brother in laws 70th Bday and it went much better. Just go slow and take your time....and give your self a lot of credit for continuing and finishing it!

LMB
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    I think your quilt looks great! the first quilt I did was simple blocks, but mostly quilt as you go. I wrestled only a little with that one. Then I made a twin sized on for my DH and decided to FMQ it...Oh Dear Lord! Wrestle!!!! Sweat!!!! Tears!!!! But DH liked it and uses it almost every night in his recliner (even in the summer). But it does get easier. I made one for my brother in laws 70th Bday and it went much better. Just go slow and take your time....and give your self a lot of credit for continuing and finishing it!
    Thank you. It really does help to know that other people have been there. I am so encouraged, as soon as I get the feeling back in my arms and legs I am going back in there and work some more. ROFLOL

Love the kitty cats..can't wait to see big pix. It will get better...you didn't mention sweat and half a headache. The first couple are not fun. Handquilting is so much more civilized...lol.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast